Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
$70 too expensive for a single entry for Canadians? How much do you think Canada charges Argentines for a single entry? Yup, right, $70. Given that incomes are much higher in Canada than in Argentina, the Argentine fee should be even higher.

As for Americans, it is about time other countries stood up to their (government's) arrogance. I personally favor Brazil's approach of *strict* reciprocity, which includes fingerprinting and photographing every American that wants to enter the country. Although, to make the reciprocity complete, the passport control process should include long delays and abusive language in an incomprehensible dialect on the part of the interviewing officer. Americans think they can humiliate everyone while being entitled to the royal treatment wherever they go. Time to even the playing field.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
$70 too expensive for a single entry for Canadians? How much do you think Canada charges Argentines for a single entry? Yup, right, $70. Given that incomes are much higher in Canada than in Argentina, the Argentine fee should be even higher.

As for Americans, it is about time other countries stood up to their (government's) arrogance. I personally favor Brazil's approach of *strict* reciprocity, which includes fingerprinting and photographing every American that wants to enter the country. Although, to make the reciprocity complete, the passport control process should include long delays and abusive language in an incomprehensible dialect on the part of the interviewing officer. Americans think they can humiliate everyone while being entitled to the royal treatment wherever they go. Time to even the playing field.
I disagree.... one thing is to implement reciprocity with formal mechanisms like on arrival visas & fees, and another is to replicate the abuse that many INS officers enjoy dishing out at the more modest traveler to the USA... this practice is shameful and should be eliminated, not emulated.

I hope that the mechanisms implemented at EZE are polite and respectful... have visitors follow the rules as implemented but by all means treat people with courtesy & respect...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:18 pm

In my mind it is defensible but bad policy that makes limited economic sense. Why create barriers to high-spending tourist and/or investors based on national pride?

FWIW - those that approve visas at the US consulate in BA - US diplomats - are exempt from any Argentine taxes.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: IC-Royal Amb, Hilton Gold VIP AA PLT

It's anti-american sentiment by vistors like you that require strict screening at our US borders and ports of entry.

I believe everyone posting on this thread has been respectfull of the Argentine people and nobody is blaming the people of Argentina for the political actions of their goverment or their policies. Why then are you using this thread to attack average American travelers/tourists who only wish to visit Argentina in good faith, and why are you wishing them all ill will?

Lighten-up we're all just travelers here, not zealots
Srpilo

Last edited by srpilo; Dec 22, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by srpilo
[B]Why then are you using this thread to attack average American travelers/tourists who only wish to visit Argentina in good faith, and why are you wishing them all ill will?
Because he's a Brazilian? - funnily enough Mauricio was also a Dutch 17th century ruler that brought a measure of freedom and tolerance to NE Brazil.

Last edited by erik123; Dec 22, 2009 at 7:08 pm Reason: none
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Per the Migraciones web site, evidently not. Maybe Canada only issues one-use visas while the U.S. issues 10 year ones? Canadian do get off lightly as Chile charges USD 125 for the reciprocity fee.
Not quite. The current Chile visa fee for Canadians is USD 132 whereas it is USD 131 for American citizens. Almost seems like some kind of statement.

So far, it looks like it's only to be charged for entries at EZE, so it's still possible to visit Buenos Aires by flying in elsewhere in the country like MDZ, COR, or even SLA and then connecting or stopping over before flying into AEP.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by keithguy
So far, it looks like it's only to be charged for entries at EZE, so it's still possible to visit Buenos Aires by flying in elsewhere in the country like MDZ, COR, or even SLA and then connecting or stopping over before flying into AEP.
Although technically possible, there are very few international routes flying into these airports and the additional cost of booking a convoluted route to enter Argentina at one of them will almost certainly be more than the reciprocity fee, not to mention the additional travel time and hassle.

While it may be an option for a very small number of tourists, the vast majority will continue to enter via EZE and the fee will catch 90%+ of relevant travellers
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Although technically possible, there are very few international routes flying into these airports and the additional cost of booking a convoluted route to enter Argentina at one of them will almost certainly be more than the reciprocity fee, not to mention the additional travel time and hassle.

While it may be an option for a very small number of tourists, the vast majority will continue to enter via EZE and the fee will catch 90%+ of relevant travellers
Certainly agree with you there - MDZ is about the only one that's at all logistically easy to get to (as you can make direct connection via SCL). Indeed, for visitors to the wine country who are not interested in transiting Buenos Aires twice, I've often advised them to look for LAN flights via SCL from wherever they're traveling, rather than doing the EZE/AEP schlep...

As to those who suggest MVD as a point of entry, make sure to check out additional departure taxes that you will have to pay at the airport for your flight into AEP... I'm not certain how these work when connecting from another flight, however.

As long as it's a once in ten years or once per passport fee, I really don't mind this one. I was always worried they might implement it as a single entry, which for me would probably have meant an extra $650-1000 per year owing to my travel patterns in and out of Argentina!

Sadly, I am coming up on the end of my current passport (expiry 2012), but I can still deal with two fees over the next twelve years - or hope the country's administration changes its mind again in the next two years, which may be quite likely...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go

I agree to bad that most policy makers here in Europe dont have the balls to do that.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by britenbsas
The standard entry fee is more likely than not set at a price which, based on estimated visitor numbers, is enough to cover the cost of running and maintaining the park, museum, whatever. Locals get a discount on this. If the only visitors in a whole year were locals, the revenue would be insufficient to cover the running costs.

This is different to charging locals a market rate and tourists "market rate + x%" where the x% represents pure profiteering
With respect, your entire post is pure speculation. Unless you are intimately familiar with the revenue/cost models of the parks/museums/whatever you quote, you can not guesstimate on the amount of profits, losses or subsidies provided by various visitors.

Last edited by threepoint; Dec 23, 2009 at 12:09 pm
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I disagree.... one thing is to implement reciprocity with formal mechanisms like on arrival visas & fees, and another is to replicate the abuse that many INS officers enjoy dishing out at the more modest traveler to the USA... this practice is shameful and should be eliminated, not emulated.

I hope that the mechanisms implemented at EZE are polite and respectful... have visitors follow the rules as implemented but by all means treat people with courtesy & respect...
May I suggest a compromise: treat all visitors into Argentina with the courtesy and respect one would demand for oneself. But identify any holidaying US INS officials and their families and bring them to the back room with the rubber glove.

On a more serious tangent, I haven't noticed any reference to EU passports in this thread. Considering I own both a Canadian and EU (UK) passport, will presenting the latter avoid all the fees?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by threepoint

On a more serious tangent, I haven't noticed any reference to EU passports in this thread. Considering I own both a Canadian and EU (UK) passport, will presenting the latter avoid all the fees?
YES!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mine is the 4th.
Mine's the 10th. Come on and just delay it a couple more weeks...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:53 pm

What I think this will do for me, not that I am an experienced traveler to South America, is make it more likely that I will use Santiago as my entry point, particularly if I am flying on an Air Canada Aeroplan award flight, given that Air Canada flies YYZ-SCL. I know it's easier to get to Mendoza from Santiago than from Buenos Aires.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:56 pm

I understand you are upset but there are so many ways to save money on a trip to Argentina, you'll never notice the $70 or $131 fee.
It's true that there are 2 main factors for me as to when my next trip will be, and neither is the entry fee: 1) ability to take sufficient vacation time to make a flight to South America "worth" it in economy class, 2) a great airfare, or award availability. But I think I am already doing a good job of saving money when I get to Argentina, so I doubt there is much room for cutbacks there. And as mentioned above, the fee is going to "feel" rather costly for families of four or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.