Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been to Antarctica?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Kyonn,

I'm sorry, I gave you a bum steer. I just talked with one of my friends.

The cruise they took, Feb 2011, was THE LAST "large ship"cruise into Antarctica on a big ship. Apparently international regs have tightened up so that only small expedition type ships can go into Antarctic waters. Future cruises on the Infinity will be from Buenos Aires, around Cape Horn to Valparaiso and back.

The fact this was the last possible cruise was incentive for my friends to hop on it when they did. She said that the future alternatives on small expedition type ships would be upwards of $15k per person.

I'm sorry to get your hopes up for nothing. Maybe you can find a small expedition type ship for a price you can afford.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Kyonn,

The cruise they took, Feb 2011, was THE LAST "large ship"cruise into Antarctica on a big ship. Apparently international regs have tightened up so that only small expedition type ships can go into Antarctic waters. Future cruises on the Infinity will be from Buenos Aires, around Cape Horn to Valparaiso and back.

The fact this was the last possible cruise was incentive for my friends to hop on it when they did. She said that the future alternatives on small expedition type ships would be upwards of $15k per person.

I'm sorry to get your hopes up for nothing. Maybe you can find a small expedition type ship for a price you can afford.
I'd do some serious shopping around. It really depends on what you want. I did not go on a big cruise ship and I paid about half that for 21 days. I am a solo traveler and fortunately I had the option (not always available on large cruise ships) to share a bunk room with two other people I'd never met (but that I have continued to keep in touch with). We went places that the large cruise ships couldn't possibly go - Deception Island, for example (we spent the night inside. There are also often limitations on how many people can be on shore at one time (including guiding crew members) - often a 100-person max. That can mean landings are in shifts. On a smaller ship (100 passengers), everyone can spend max time on shore.

As far as safety, yes, a smaller ship got into trouble a few years ago and fortunately other ships were nearby and the rescue went smoothly. But size is no guarantee - a large cruise ship got into trouble down off the coast of California last year, I believe, (engine fire) and everyone had to be evacuated back.

I admit, I wanted good sleep, good food, and as much up-close-and-personal time in Antarctica as I could get, and a smaller (and much less costly) ship worked great for me. (I am now saving up to do it again). YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Kyonn,

No worries. Going into this I was sure it was going to cost much more than a standard vacation and in my mind I had budgeted about 10K for this trip.

It's still a long way off so I'll keep looking around. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Kyonn; Apr 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Looks like a good combo Flight/Cruise...

http://www.polarcruises.com/antarcti...-cruise_62.htm
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by remphish1
Looks like a good combo Flight/Cruise...

http://www.polarcruises.com/antarcti...-cruise_62.htm
Search who is the actual organizer for that flight/cruise combo and one can most likely get a better deal directly. When talking directly with the organizing company, you'll also get all the details.

Others may have had different experience but we and several others on our cruise didn't find this reseller spectacular, apart from the great web site. Most of the folks on the ship had booked directly or through a local TA in their country.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
The best way to see what *all* your options are is to check the website of the International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators, www.iaato.org

Do not even consider going with any organization that is not a member of IAATO if you care at all about protecting and preserving the unique environment. (And if you don't care and just want bragging rights, I'd be happy to lecture you in a more appropriate forum.)

I went back in 1996 with a company that is no longer in existence, by the way. The advice I got at the time was to go on the smallest ship I could, which I think was useful given that gave me much more time on the ice itself.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:54 am

You can check out the norwegian "Hurtigruten". They do Antarctica cruises.
http://www.hurtigruten.us/Antarctica/
Old May 2, 2011, 2:44 pm

If you are fit why not walk the last degree to the pole? It's usually abou 80 miles, so very doable. I number of organisations organise such trips but I would recommend Fiona Thornewell -just google. The cost's significantly higher but you stand a chance of sponsorship for such a challenge and you also get a story to tell your grandchildren.
Old May 28, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
If you are fit why not walk the last degree to the pole? It's usually abou 80 miles, so very doable. I number of organisations organise such trips but I would recommend Fiona Thornewell -just google. The cost's significantly higher but you stand a chance of sponsorship for such a challenge and you also get a story to tell your grandchildren.
80 mile walk to the pole...how many days does that take? Then there's the walk back! I'm guessing you'd need to charter your own boat to get them to wait for you that long.
Old May 30, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
I'm going at the end of the year with Quark Expeditions. Just booked last week.

Excited

I'm a rock doctor, so really looking forward to the scientific talks on board!

And this will make it all 7 continents!
Old May 30, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
80 mile walk to the pole...how many days does that take? Then there's the walk back! I'm guessing you'd need to charter your own boat to get them to wait for you that long.
People usually fly to Patriot hills. But this still leaves you at about 80degS or 550 miles or so from the pole IIRC. So then there is another flight to the drop off point, a walk/ski and a flight out. In the summer the last degree can be done in 10 days allowing for poor weather.

The cost does really add up, but there is a similar option for those in the northern hemisphere to the north pole. The issues are different though with the going being tougher (ice pack drifts, normally in the opposite direction to where you want to go, and can be thin, ice for water which is not salty can be hard to find and there are more pressure ridges). Then there is the wildlife (big white paddingtons). And you tend to have to fly with (drunk) Russians which is an 'experience' in itself!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: AC E
I haven't been but my 2nd cousin is Sir Wally Herbert. Use my name and email him if you want.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:02 am

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. Sir Wally died peacfully after a number of years of illness about 4 years ago.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I met my husband aboard a Quark ship on our way from Ushuaia to Antarctica. Trip changed my life! We both want to go back at some point in the future as well. It's truly the most spectacular place either of us has ever been.

Fortunately, it's now no longer a possibility to go on the large cruise ships. It's small ships only, and as others have mentioned, this is a good thing. It means you get the maximum ice time possible as there is a limit of 100pp on the ice at a time. Trust me - you'll want as much time as you can get! It takes hours to climb up the massive snow drift hill....and minutes to slide down on your bootie!

Also there are only a handful of actual operators for the cruise ships - and a whole host of other tour agencies taking a cut to sell slots on those few ships. Look at the actual ship owners websites for pricing and availability to cut out the middle man. I know of two owners - Gap (wouldn't recommend) and Quark (highly recommend). There are a couple of others that were listed in Ushuaia, but I can't recall the names.

If you have a specialty skill you could work the ships for a free ride - such as a MD, geologist, marine biologist, etc but you would have to commit to multiple trips or even the whole season. Speaking of, early in the season (late Nov - early Dec) is penguin mating season. Late is when the chicks hatch. So pick what you want to see and go. It will be amazing no matter what!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
When we stepped on the continent, I reached a goal I never thought would happen .... visiting all 7 continents in 7 years.

A spectacular trip .... altho we had miserable conditions crossing the Drake. We literally were harnessed in bed .... and crawled on our hands and knees to the bathroom to puke. Nothing helped. Patches. Ginger. Wrist bands. Sitting on deck in the fresh air.

Very expensive .... but you only live once.

We used Quark .... and I recommend them highly.

I would love to go back again ..... if I could guarantee a smooth sailing over the Drake. (Or when the offer air service)

However, I would saw that Antarctica was my second most spectacular trip -- the time we spent in Africa was ^ :-: ^ the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.