Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMTRAK introduces T-Mobile HOT SPOT in five NEC stations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, DL, Continental, Southwest RR, TripRewards, Marriott, HHonors

Amtrak passengers can connect to the T-Mobile® HotSpot wireless Internet service while waiting for the train in five key stations in the Northeast Corridor:

Washington Union Station
Baltimore Penn Station
Wilmington Station
Philadelphia 30th Street Station
New York Penn Station
Amtrak T-Mobile HotSpot locations offer fast, reliable wireless broadband service and provide customers with industry leading service quality, reliability, customer support and innovative features. Many service plans are available.

Passengers and visitors at these Amtrak stations using the T-Mobile HotSpot service can also surf securely with Wireless Protected Access (WPA), which provides one of the highest degrees of Wi-Fi security commercially available. Using the T-Mobile Hotspot Connection Manager, available for free download at www.t-mobile.com/hotspot, customers can log on using WPA, which helps protect the wireless signal between a laptop or other device and the network's wireless access point.

The Wi-Fi networks at these Amtrak stations also support T-Mobile HotSpot@HomeSM service, so HotSpot@Home customers can enjoy unlimited calling over Wi-Fi and great mobile coverage in these stations.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:42 pm

I saw a table with a t-mobile rep yesterday afternoon at PHL
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
This would be a nice benefit at other large stations around the country. I see lots of laptops on board in North Carolina. Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh come to mind as good candidates in NC.

On the long distance routes it would be nice to equip platforms at extended stops with the HotSpot. Passengers could buy an Amtrak Route Pass and be able to pop on for a few minutes to send/receive e-mail or otherwise stay connected.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: AGR-Select, HH-Gold, AA-peon, UA-Silver
T-Mobile

There has been a T-Mobile hotspot via Starbucks at Wasington DC Union Station for atleast 2 years.

Adam
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AdamAuxier
There has been a T-Mobile hotspot via Starbucks at Wasington DC Union Station for atleast 2 years.

Adam
Right... But now service is improved and in the Acela lounge.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by chix
Right... But now service is improved and in the Acela lounge.
While I'm not sure whose supplying the service, it has been available in the Club Acela lounge at DC for over 3 years now, maybe even 4.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AGR-Select, HH-Gold, AA-peon, UA-Silver
New Service

I wonder if the new service extends out onto the train platforms, would be nice if I could get internet from a coach while passing through the station en route to VA, same for the upstairs platforms. Would be nice to be able to have internet from my seat before the train departs.

This is all fine and good to have internet in a few main stations, but when will Amtrak get onboard internet service such as the service offered by VIA???

Adam
Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by AdamAuxier
This is all fine and good to have internet in a few main stations, but when will Amtrak get onboard internet service such as the service offered by VIA???

Adam
Personally I hope that Amtrak never gets onboard internet service like what VIA offers, as it is ridiculously overpriced at $3.99 for 15 minutes. If they want to offer it for something approaching reasonable, then fine. But at that price I'll just keep using my cell connection.

Now that said, Amtrak did report that they were working on equiping Acela with WiFi, but it has been serveral months since that report and I've heard nothing more regarding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.