Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Recently Deceased Travel Free On Amtrak..........

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite

Maybe I will rethink the whole honeymoon trip on the Coast-Starlate after all...

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...10%2e3&cid=936
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I don't know, she sounds like a very practical lady :

CHICAGO (Sept. 6) - An Amtrak passenger traveling with her ailing father waited nearly 23 hours and about 1,000 miles to tell authorities he had died so she could avoid the cost of shipping the body home, police said.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The deceased in this case didn't really travel free, as the fare had already been paid...
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
This is such a sad story, and the human aspect of it cannot be ignored, but holy cow, was this not a major health issue for passengers sharing that sleeper and the ventilation system of that car? I have been in a sleeping car when someone in some room decided to sneak a smoke. That smell was everywhere and in every room. As bad as second hand smoke is, I hesitate to think of the airborne microbe implications of a decaying body. Good grief. If I had been in that car, I think I would be just a tad uncomfortable about my short term health in addition to being generally creeped-out.

I hope Amtrak stripped that room bare, tossed all the bedding, washed down everything with industrial strength Lysol, and changed all the HVAC filters. Alternatively, they could just take the car and burn it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:26 pm

I can't believe the lady slept in the same room, you would think it would bother her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.