Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Sues Union Station Over Delta Airlines Ads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Sues Union Station Over Delta Airlines Ads

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by kop84
But what will DL get in compensation
But this FT. It's all about ME, so how can I turn this into compensation for Me?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Amtrak Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Or is Union Station going to try to set up that Am-Track and DL are not competitors? And if it does go to court it will all hinge on if you consider Am-Track and Delta a Rail and Airline first, or if you consider them both transportation companies first.

I get Am-Track's analogy about McDonalds vs. Burger King, but I suspect if they want to fight it, Union Station will say i'ts McDonald's vs Cheesecake Factory...they both serve food, but they aren't necessarily competing for the same customer.
Lawyers will say anything, but judges would have the final word unless settled out of court. There is no passenger train service in competition with Amtrak. There are indeed competing modes of transportation.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Amtrak Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Thanks for your helps. I appreciate that. Thank you for moving the thread.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Amtrak and United have an alliance.
Correction: The U.S. taxpayer and United have an alliance beyond Bill Shuster.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lol frankly I don't see how Amtrak could compete with Delta outside NER.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
One would have to assume Delta is 'competition'. Let's be honest here and say Amtrak has no actual competition because no one really wants to travel via Amtrak.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Tons of airlines advertise in Boston/South Station. When Jet Blue started BOS-LGA service (Certainly competing with Amtrak) they had all of south station filled with ads.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
One would have to assume Delta is 'competition'. Let's be honest here and say Amtrak has no actual competition because no one really wants to travel via Amtrak.
I'm not sure you could be further from the truth. At least from DC, taking Amtrak to NYP is a vastly superior way to get to New York City than flying.

Tons of airlines advertise in Boston/South Station. When Jet Blue started BOS-LGA service (Certainly competing with Amtrak) they had all of south station filled with ads.
I'm not really sure what your point is. Does Amtrak have the same or substantially similar provision in their lease with South Station? Has the issue been litigated there?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Amtrak does not have a similar contract with Boston South Station as they are a minority tenant there.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Amtrak and United have an alliance.

Does United advertise in the station?

Just curious.
No. The extent of United and Amtrak's codeshare partnership only includes New Haven, Stamford, Philadelphia, and Wilmington, Delaware.

Ads for the codeshare service in Union would serve no purpose.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
Lawyers will say anything, but judges would have the final word unless settled out of court. There is no passenger train service in competition with Amtrak. There are indeed competing modes of transportation.
Amtrak does have passenger train competition in certain markets, such as between Washington and Baltimore, New York and Trenton, and New York and New Haven, Los Angles and Oceanside, Oceanside and San Diego, and others.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
As of yesterday this became a rather ironic lawsuit. It reminds me of the story in the SCA of a king who declared a war, but the war challenge went astray until he became king of the kingdom he had attempted to declare war on. He accepted the declaration (and lost).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I get it that it's in the terms etc but Amtrak has airline ads on the Acela trains themselves (Albeit usually non-competitors for international flights like Air Canada)

I'm a big plane guy but everyone that can afford it and needs the flexibility will take the Acela over flying if your needs are downtown-downtown WAS-NYP-BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.