Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Acela business up due to LaGuardia traffic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I was unpleasantly surprised by the massive traffic jams at LaGuardia recently: after sitting in traffic approaching the B/Central terminal, I gave up and walked the rest of the way to my terminal, carrying a small suitcase through roads full of thick traffic.

I'd think that the Shuttle flights from LGA would be less competitive due to that traffic--who wants to add 20+ minutes to the total trip time sitting in that traffic?

How's the Acela's business to and from NYC these days? Is it up due to LGA traffic? Why isn't Amtrak marketing the Acela with those traffic jams in mind?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you search FT or better yet, Google, you will find endless discussions on FT and elsewhere, over the years which focus on how best to travel between Washington-New York & New York - Boston.

There are people who swear by both and a lot depends on exactly where you are headed, what you do with your time, the length of your trip, and the whether it is Washington or Boston.

From Washington, early AM Shuttles are quick and there is little traffic at LGA, even though the place is a logistical mess. The shuttles board in 10-15 minutes, tend to push early and the flying time, if the winds are right can be as little as 35 minutes with a quick taxi to the gate. Add 10 minutes if the wind directions do not cooperate. Uber will show up <5 minutes and so long as you know alternate routes into the City, you can be in midtown in not too long. On the way back, take the Acela. Rush hour out to LGA starts at 3:00 PM and you are only 1/2-way to the curb when you take the exit. While the Acela takes a bit more time, there is time to work, sleep, read, eat, drink or whatever. ATC southbound from LGA are a mess in the early evening, so youa re stuck in a sardine tin for longer than you want.

Boston - Absent bad weather, the Shuttle gets it every time. Not enough stretches where the Acela operates at high speed and the ATC is not quite so bad in that direction.

On the cost issue, both AA & DL "rack rates" can look daunting, but corporate rates tend to be significantly discounted and include no fee changes and the like.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Often1, thanks. You make some good points.

LaGuardia has certainly had its issues (weather, air traffic congestion, etc.) for years, but it's now under major construction; most all of the terminals will be demolished and moved closer to the highway in front of the airport; the airport will be almost entirely rebuilt. So far the construction of a parking deck has required the roads in front of the terminals to be reconfigured, and that has caused massive traffic delays--sometimes it's taken up to an hour or so simply to drive through the airport premises to reach the central terminal.

With the construction, LGA is now simply not a feasible option for a time-sensitive business trip to BOS or DCA because of the outrageous traffic due to construction. Traffic at LGA will add 30 minutes (or more) to a trip, plus lots of frustration. This is a special situation, and the added traffic will be lasting for a while due to the continuing construction.

So: is the mess at LGA affecting the Acela? Why doesn't Amtrak start an ad campaign for NYC travelers: "Take the Train; Avoid the LGA Construction Mess"?

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Dec 13, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:00 pm

I actually think Acela is hurting, thanks to the AGR program deval. Also contributing is the B6's entry into BOS-LGA. I can tell by good availability of lowest bucket Acela fares.

Having said that, I wish Amtrak can promote Acela better, but I think there are deeper problems at Amtrak.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I've been a regular on Amtrak's NEC for the past 2 years, taking the Acela to DC and Boston. LGA is also the closest airport to me, and I take it often.

With that, haven't noticed any increases in traffic on the Acela. Only time I've ever encountered the Acela being totally sold out is when there's bad weather
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
This past week I had to do a same-day, peak hour r/t BOS-NYC on a few days' notice. Normally Acela is a no-brainer for me. UA wanted $118 r/t BOS<>EWR. 2V wanted $340 r/t BOS<>NYP. Even adding in the $26 r/t EWR<>NYP rail fare, it was a no-brainer to fly. Plus, my UA comp upgrades cleared to F in both directions
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Often1, thanks. You make some good points.

LaGuardia has certainly had its issues (weather, air traffic congestion, etc.) for years, but it's now under major construction; most all of the terminals will be demolished and moved closer to the highway in front of the airport; the airport will be almost entirely rebuilt. So far the construction of a parking deck has required the roads in front of the terminals to be reconfigured, and that has caused massive traffic delays--sometimes it's taken up to an hour or so simply to drive through the airport premises to reach the central terminal.

With the construction, LGA is now simply not a feasible option for a time-sensitive business trip to BOS or DCA because of the outrageous traffic due to construction. Traffic at LGA will add 30 minutes (or more) to a trip, plus lots of frustration. This is a special situation, and the added traffic will be lasting for a while due to the continuing construction.

So: is the mess at LGA affecting the Acela? Why doesn't Amtrak start an ad campaign for NYC travelers: "Take the Train; Avoid the LGA Construction Mess"?
1) LGA construction is an issue during certain times (say 8-noon, 3 to 8 PM Weekdays) only. when I have taken the early shuttle (say 6 AM), it has been less of an issue

2) For a business traveler that can expense a car to and from the airport, the extra 30 minutes to LGA may not be a huge issue if he/she can sit in a car and work

3) Acela is generally more expensive to BOS and takes longer. Round trip flights to BOS can cost $160-180 with a corporate discount depending on the time of day, as much as a one-way to the Acela. Other times, on some airlines (AA, JetBlue) flights cost just $99 each way. The Acela to WAS seems to be more competitive on time and cost.

4) JFK and EWR also have flights to BOS

5) PreCheck and/or Airline Status can make security more bearable at airports, especially for light business travelers

I generally prefer to fly to BOS, use Acela to PHI/Baltimore/Washington
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I've been a regular on Amtrak's NEC for the past 2 years, taking the Acela to DC and Boston. LGA is also the closest airport to me, and I take it often.

With that, haven't noticed any increases in traffic on the Acela. Only time I've ever encountered the Acela being totally sold out is when there's bad weather
I Too travel to DC on Acela and would agree with the above..

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

A fairer comparison would be door to door. Doing that, taking the bus to Boston might actually be the best option sometimes/always.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:37 am

There is always Limoliner NYC - BOS.. www.limoliner.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.