Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Advice - Washington - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, PC Plat, HH Diamond
Baggage Advice - Washington - NYC

I'm (potentially!) a first time traveller on Amtrak, but baggage rules may preclude that, so I'm looking for some opinion.

I'm visiting Washington and New York next month and was looking to take the train between the two cities (on a Sunday).

We need to keep our bags with us so can't send it on, and most of the trains don't have a checked baggage service and seem to limit the size of carry on luggage (dimensions and weight). Coming from Scotland for a reasonable period, we're going to have bags larger than those limits.

Can anyone advise if the limits are strictly enforced, and even if they're not would large suitcases even fit on the luggage racks?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
You'll have an easier time if you travel on a Sunday morning. And trains will be packed on Sunday, Nov. 27 (the end of a long weekend, usually the most busy USA travel day of the year). My experience on Northeast Corridor trains is reasonable-sized (not enormous) bags (one each) plus a carry-on each will be no problem. There will be an area at one or the other end of each train carriage where bags can be placed on the floor. That being said, you need to only carry what you and your companion can handle yourselves.

If you're boarding at New York Penn station be sure to engage the services of a "Redcap" porter. That person will get advance notification of the correct track number and take you there ahead of everyone else. You then can be first to board the train. Everyone else will be in a big scrum at the top of the escalators, vying for getting downstairs to the tracks.

Don't bring enormous or too many pieces of luggage on your trip. It's a pain to handle and can cause excess charges by airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:23 pm

I have never had an Amtrak employee show the slightest bit of interest in the size of my bags. If you can get it on the train, you'll be fine.

Also note that since there are some trains that run the NYP<->WAS route and accept checked baggage, you should be able to check your bags even if your particular train doesn't do checked baggage. You'll just need to go back to the station later (possibly the following day), when the train with baggage comes through, to pick it up.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, PC Plat, HH Diamond
Thanks for the advice. Have decided to get a smaller suitcase just in case. Hopefully that'll do the trick.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AGR, HH
You won't have a problem

We have a friend from London who flies to the States once or twice a year. He packs as if he were taking steamer trunks on the Queen Mary. He flies into JFK or Newark, and takes the train to Philadelphia. He was anxious the first time he took the train, but we told him to use a Redcap, and he'd be fine - and he was. The Redcaps won't blink an eye, regardless of how large your bag is. And they'll get you to the train before everyone else, and will get your bags into the luggage hold area of your car. I honestly think you'll be OK.

Oh, and while not required, the Redcap should be tipped. I usually do a buck a bag for just a bag or two, then jump to $5 for about 3 bags. I'd be curious to hear from others if I've been tipping on the low side.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ambyr
I have never had an Amtrak employee show the slightest bit of interest in the size of my bags. If you can get it on the train, you'll be fine.
Same here, but last October (just after new rules on weight went into effect), the agent in a Metropolitan Lounge was weighing every bag. That has not happened since (in at least 14 boardings, but only six from a lounge).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The "new" baggage allowance permits 200 pounds of carry-on bags per passenger. As long as any one of your bags does not exceed 50 pounds, you will be fine. Really, the only times anybody will bat an eye is if you ask a Red Cap (porter) to lift something heavy, or if you check a bag >50 pounds (and only because there's a scale there).

Originally Posted by ambyr
Also note that since there are some trains that run the NYP<->WAS route and accept checked baggage, you should be able to check your bags even if your particular train doesn't do checked baggage. You'll just need to go back to the station later (possibly the following day), when the train with baggage comes through, to pick it up.
I strongly urge you to look into this option. You can check bags between NYP-WAS, but you may have to pick it up the following day -- or anytime up to 30 days afterwards. If there's one suitcase that you won't really need during the trip, or in the second city, it can be very convenient to just pick it up later. Again, nothing over 50 pounds.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by paytonc
The "new" baggage allowance permits 200 pounds of carry-on bags per passenger. As long as any one of your bags does not exceed 50 pounds, you will be fine. Really, the only times anybody will bat an eye is if you ask a Red Cap (porter) to lift something heavy, or if you check a bag >50 pounds (and only because there's a scale there).

I strongly urge you to look into this option. You can check bags between NYP-WAS, but you may have to pick it up the following day -- or anytime up to 30 days afterwards. If there's one suitcase that you won't really need during the trip, or in the second city, it can be very convenient to just pick it up later. Again, nothing over 50 pounds.
It's also possible to drop off checked baggage the day before one's departure. Do that, and it should be available for pick-up upon one's arrival at the destination station. (Just keep a small overnight bag for your last night before your Amtrak departure.)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Looking to do this route in a couple of weeks. Coming from the UK with wife and toddler.
We're doing one-way Washington-New York and most tips seem to be re the other direction. Never taken a train journey like this in the US before...

Could someone please advise re size of the bags. I'm sure we won't need more than the weight allowance but do they enforce the physical size of the bags?

Any other general tips for Amtrak trains or this route-we're likely to be travelling on the 22nd which I assume will be fairly busy pre-Christmas.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have not traveled on the Northeast Corridor much, but I have never had any Amtrak employee measure the size of my bag. Of course, such measurements could start at any time.

One workaround I've heard for people traveling with overweight bags is to have a redcap deliver them (both the people and the bags) to the train. Since the redcap wants a tip, he is unlikely to try to enforce a corporate baggage policy. Presumably this would work for oversize bags as well as overweight bags.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:37 pm

Thanks.

Can I assume the redcaps you mention and are alluded to upthread are on hand at every station-or at least at Washington as well as NYP as mentioned?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
They're at major stations with checked baggage service. Rest assured that Washington Union and NY Penn Stations are both well into the "major station" category. :-)

If you're traveling WAS-NYP with a family, if possible try to book on a train which originates at Washington. If you're good with timetables, compare the WAS-NYP timetable:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/203/101...W02-111416.pdf

with the one which includes Virginia service:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/1018/28...W06-111416.pdf

The Northeast Regional trains which originate at Virginia points will obviously have passengers on board when you get on at Washington, though a redcap should be able to help you get good seats together.

(I should note that you won't need to worry about this if taking an Acela - they don't run south of WAS.)

A few other hints, especially if boarding on your own (without a redcap):

-Most all coaches have some group seats, pairs facing each other often with tables, usually at one end or the other.
-There's also larger luggage spaces at the ends of the coaches. Good for heavy items you don't want to lift into the overhead bins.
-If your train is originating at Washington, you'll approach the train from the back (terminal tracks/platforms). If people are being sheep as normal, walking to the front half of the train will likely be much less crowded as most folks go for one of the first cars they see. Happens all the time at my home station (Boston), I'm sure it does in Washington too!

Enjoy your travels!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:55 am

Some really useful and helpful advice thank you.

Yes booked the Acela last night; WAS-NYP. Travelling with wife and toddler.

Would definitely hope to get space in one of the larger luggage areas as I'm pretty sure our luggage won't fit in the overhead spaces. If they are same sort of overhead racks we have in the UK.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The overhead bins are pretty big on the Acela, definitely bigger than any bin I've seen on a plane. I wouldn't worry.

Be sure to use an Amtrak Red Cap, you'll see them if you come into the station in a cab or walk in from the south side of the station. They'll get your whole family seats together and are well worth the $5-$10 tip.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless your bags weigh more than can possibly be lifted by a human being or are so over-sized that they draw attention to you, don't even remotely think about this issue.

Are these standard bags which you would check on a regular commercial aircraft without paying an excess size or weight fee? If so, then don't worry about how many you have.

If there are more than you can herd yourself or if you have kids or those who need more attention, use a Red Cap (tip expected). Not only does this mean that the bags get handled, but it also means that you will board early (at WAS through a side area). At NYP, another will schlep you and your bags outside, hopefully to an Uber XL or something large.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.