Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Baggage Questions

My wife and I are taking a trip next month. I had to make two separate reservations, one from STL to CHI the second from CHI to EMY/SFC. These are my questions: 1. I assume that the busses still do not have checked baggage so we will have to collect our luggage at EMY then transfer it to the bus. Is this correct? 2. We are scheduled to leave at 4:35 AM on train 300. Can we check our luggage the day before we leave to go on train 22? (As I understand what is on the Amtrak site, 300 doesn't have checked baggage.) 3. If it can go on 22, can I check some of our luggage from STL to EMY/SFC? 3. Does STL have red cap service? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I'm not quite sure why you couldn't make one reservation, that should have been possible, but regardless that is done at this point.

To my knowledge, St. Louis does not have redcap service. But if you need baggage assistance that can still be arranged by speaking with an agent when you arrive at the station.

Next, yes, you should be able to bring your bags down the day before and have them go out on 22. But, there is a consideration that you must think about before you do that. The consideration is that if you check the bags in Chicago when you get there, then in EMY the bags will be brought right to the bus by the EMY redcaps for you to claim and then they or the bus driver will place them into the luggage compartments on the bus for you.

If you check them in STL the day before, then they might be held in EMY and you'd have to first claim them and then ask for help to get them to the bus.

You are correct in assuming that the buses don't technically have checked baggage service, but the bus driver will generally help. However, SFC does have checked baggage. I'm not quite sure how that works, and I'm not at all sure what would happen if you checked the bags a day early to SFC. I'm guessing that they would be held at SFC, but they might also be held at EMY. Hence my earlier statement that you might have to claim them at EMY.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
I made two reservations because one was an Amtrak credit and one was an award which I was told could not be done together. I assume you are saying that since STL does not have redcap service that it would be someone in the office there that would help. In my experience bus drivers can be quite unhelpful. I once had one bag that had slid to the other side of the bus and the driver would not even open the door on the other side. I had to crawl all of the way across the bus then drag my suitcase out.
Anyway hopefully I will be able to get assistance in STL. Is there any way I can find out about how luggage to SFC is handled? Thank you for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.