Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-BOS Saver Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
EWR-BOS Saver Ticket

Hi there, want to book an EWR-BOS on Amtrak. The fare is $54.00 and I can get either an e ticket or quick track. Does this fare include the air train? If so, can I change same day to an earlier train with no penalty (I know they are reserved) but didn't know the process to do so if any. Lastly would you book now or wait (are there discounts for savers as well).. I am renting a car at LGA and returning to EWR. Was originally planning to take NJ Transit and go from NY Penn but this seemed more logical and less cost Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:58 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Hi Flying Machine,

The EWR-BOS ticket does not include the Airtrain, which I believe is an additional $5.50. If you want to change to an earlier train, you will have to pay the fare difference for a walk-up ticket (which is likely to be substantial – fares for today and later this week are $82-130).

The largest generally available discount on Northeast Corridor tickets is their two-week advance purchase fares, which are capacity controlled - $55 for Newark to Boston is quite good and I would definitely purchase now rather than later.

(Re eTicket vs. Quiktrak – I would choose eTicket so you'll have it in your email and can either print it out or present it on your phone; you can always reprint it at the Quiktrak kiosk if you want an Amtrak-issued boarding pass)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

I don't know about the AirTrain, but if it's a Saver, this is the lowest it's going to go and I'd book as soon as I was relatively sure that that was the train I wanted. If you change it later, it will cost whatever the lowest fare currently is at that time. So while there is no charge to change, the fare may be much higher at that time and you'll pay the difference.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hi there, want to book an EWR-BOS on Amtrak. The fare is $54.00 and I can get either an e ticket or quick track. Does this fare include the air train? If so, can I change same day to an earlier train with no penalty (I know they are reserved) but didn't know the process to do so if any. Lastly would you book now or wait (are there discounts for savers as well).. I am renting a car at LGA and returning to EWR. Was originally planning to take NJ Transit and go from NY Penn but this seemed more logical and less cost Thanks and Safe Travels..
The last time I did this move (~1 year ago) it did include the air train ticket. You just need to go to the gate for amtrak and show the agent your ticket.

If you change ticket there is no change fee, but you'll have to pay a fare difference (likely a lot more than $54 - that's the lowest price on this route and frequently tickets go to $100+)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks, is there anyway to acess the Platform other than the Airtrain, if not, should I assume the fare would include the airtrain.. The reason I asked about the change, there are a few regionals just an hour or so apart. I thought there prone to delays so I thought if I was at the Platform I could just board an earlier train.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Thanks, is there anyway to acess the Platform other than the Airtrain, if not, should I assume the fare would include the airtrain..
Per Amtrak (although I think the fee is $5.50): https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte..._Page&code=Ewr
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks..
Copied from the Amtrak link:

A monorail connects Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Station to airport terminals. Monorail fare is included in Amtrak tickets to and from the Newark Airport Rail Station.
To use this monorail, Amtrak passengers must present to the station gate agent their Amtrak ticket receipt showing Newark Airport as the destination or boarding point. Passengers without tickets showing Newark Airport must purchase $5.00 monorail tickets from the NJT ticket vending machines located at the transfer station.
Passengers must have Amtrak tickets before boarding Amtrak trains from this station.
There is no direct access to this station by road, only by train or the monorail. Parking and other facilities are available at the airport.

Good to know. I have only originated form that station with a UA codeshare to ZFV and the process was the same..

Thanks and Safe travels
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The Airtrain "ticket booth" is very lax about checking tickets. This is because there is no way to get to the Airtrain EWR terminal on the train side except if you have arrived on NJT or Amtrak, and there is absolutely no reason to take the monorail to the Airtrain EWR terminal unless you have a NJT or Amtrak train to catch. I can't imagine any scenario under which anyone would ever need to pay the $5 Airtrain fee.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
So, hypothetically (because actually doing so would be unethical) one could hidden city ticket for EWR if going northbound by booking to NWK instead?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
So, hypothetically (because actually doing so would be unethical) one could hidden city ticket for EWR if going northbound by booking to NWK instead?
No, because the ticket has to say "Newark Airport" on it. If you buy a ticket to Newark, NJ (NWK) the ticket says "Newark Penn Sta." on it and the ticket booth agent hopefully will see that.

To the OP. I'd book your ticket now. It'll only go up. If it does go down you can call and get a refund or voucher for the difference in fare.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saxman66
No, because the ticket has to say "Newark Airport" on it. If you buy a ticket to Newark, NJ (NWK) the ticket says "Newark Penn Sta." on it and the ticket booth agent hopefully will see that.

To the OP. I'd book your ticket now. It'll only go up. If it does go down you can call and get a refund or voucher for the difference in fare.
Thanks to all for their advice (didn't know you can get a refund if prices go down and it may go up) So.. I Just booked EWR to Boston South Station for $54 all in.. Safe Travels to all..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 8, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by physioprof
The Airtrain "ticket booth" is very lax about checking tickets. This is because there is no way to get to the Airtrain EWR terminal on the train side except if you have arrived on NJT or Amtrak, and there is absolutely no reason to take the monorail to the Airtrain EWR terminal unless you have a NJT or Amtrak train to catch. I can't imagine any scenario under which anyone would ever need to pay the $5 Airtrain fee.
This isn't really true... I as an Amtrak employee am entitled to free travel on the Corridor just by showing my employee ID. I got hassled by the NJ Transit people at the ticket gates, and had to get them to call over the one Amtrak agent over so they could let me through, or else they were going to force me to buy a ticket.

From then on I made sure to stop at a QuikTrak machine and get a ticket issued for my destination instead.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Thanks to all for their advice (didn't know you can get a refund if prices go down and it may go up) So.. I Just booked EWR to Boston South Station for $54 all in.. Safe Travels to all..
Nice to have you with us for a change. Hopefully all goes well! Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.