Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fort Myers to Orlando Thruway Bus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Fort Myers to Orlando Thruway Bus

I will be travelling from Fort Myers to New Orleans. I am taking the Megabus from Orlando to NOLA. For the FTM-Orlando leg of my journey, there is an Amtrak thruway bus, but it can only be booked alongwith the Orlando-Winter Park connecting train. My question is, if I travel from FTM to Orlando on the bus, and then simply get off the bus at Orlando, and don't board the onward train to Winter Park, will I be penalised? This is my first time in the US, so I am rather apprehensive. Is it common, this booking a connecting Amtrak ticket, and then not taking the second leg of the journey? Has anyone travelled the FTM-ORL-WPK route here? Please advise.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by therewillbetravelling
I will be travelling from Fort Myers to New Orleans. I am taking the Megabus from Orlando to NOLA. For the FTM-Orlando leg of my journey, there is an Amtrak thruway bus, but it can only be booked alongwith the Orlando-Winter Park connecting train. My question is, if I travel from FTM to Orlando on the bus, and then simply get off the bus at Orlando, and don't board the onward train to Winter Park, will I be penalised? This is my first time in the US, so I am rather apprehensive. Is it common, this booking a connecting Amtrak ticket, and then not taking the second leg of the journey? Has anyone travelled the FTM-ORL-WPK route here? Please advise.
Amtrak bus operations are limited to coincide with train segments. I believe the phrase they use is "must be booked with a train segment". I don't believe there is a penalty for missing the train segment, but then no way to get it refunded either. So I believe it's safe to do what you're looking at doing. I've booked a few long trips for the points, but jumped off before the end to return home earlier otherwise. No issues.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I heard an Amtrak agent explain just this procedure and then sell a ticket from Tampa to Winter Park to the traveler. That was some years ago but I would expect it still work.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Not that I think you have anything to hide, but might be best not to mention your intention of skipping the train segment. Just purchase the ticket with the shortest segment possible so it will process. Or consider catching the MegaBus somewhere along the route, if that is doable. If you are not in a rush, enjoy a the train for part of your journey.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not that I think you have anything to hide, but might be best not to mention your intention of skipping the train segment. Just purchase the ticket with the shortest segment possible so it will process. Or consider catching the MegaBus somewhere along the route, if that is doable. If you are not in a rush, enjoy a the train for part of your journey.
I'm afraid catching the Megabus from anywhere else isn't an option. I would have loved being on the train for a while though, but it will be a saturday, and there won't be any Sunrail from WPK to Orlando. What I have planned is, I'll get off the Amtrak thruway at Orlando, then catch a local bus to the Lynx Central Station, and another bus from there to the ORL Megabus stop. I have quite a few hours to kill, actually, between arriving at and leaving the city of Orlando. About 7 hours. Which brings me to my next question : which place do you think is better (more comfortable & safer) to spend the time at? Orlando Amtrak or the Lynx Central?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm afraid catching the Megabus from anywhere else isn't an option. I would have loved being on the train for a while though, but it will be a saturday, and there won't be any Sunrail from WPK to Orlando. What I have planned is, I'll get off the Amtrak thruway at Orlando, then catch a local bus to the Lynx Central Station, and another bus from there to the ORL Megabus stop. I have quite a few hours to kill, actually, between arriving at and leaving the city of Orlando. About 7 hours. Which brings me to my next question : which place do you think is better (more comfortable & safer) to spend the time at? Orlando Amtrak or the Lynx Central?
I looked at the schedules and you could take the train to Gainesville and catch MegaBus there. Reduces the layover time but not as much recovery option for delays. But it's your choice.

Since I don't know the areas, I'll defer for someone with experience. But with seven hours, maybe a side trip depending upon how much baggage you have.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I looked at the schedules and you could take the train to Gainesville and catch MegaBus there. Reduces the layover time but not as much recovery option for delays. But it's your choice.

Since I don't know the areas, I'll defer for someone with experience. But with seven hours, maybe a side trip depending upon how much baggage you have.
No, I believe the trip to Gainesville is also a Thruway bus, not a train.

There isn't much at either station, but from Lynx Central you can catch the FREE Lymmo bus to tour downtown (Lymmo runs as a couple of free downtown loops, so hop on/hop off as you please). www.golynx.com for all details.

On the other hand WPK station is right in the middle of a VERY nice park-like downtown, and LYNX busses are available from there to LYNX Central Station, so you might want to take the short train segment anyway.

Last edited by rtpflyer; May 3, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtpflyer
No, I believe the trip to Gainesville is also a Thruway bus, not a train.

There isn't much at either station, but from Lynx Central you can catch the FREE Lymo bus to tour downtown (Lymo runs as a couple of free downtown loops, so hop on/hop off as you please). Google Lynx Bus Orlando for all details.
Ok, miss-read the Silver Star schedule.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
My question is, if I travel from FTM to Orlando on the bus, and then simply get off the bus at Orlando, and don't board the onward train to Winter Park, will I be penalised? This is my first time in the US, so I am rather apprehensive. Is it common, this booking a connecting Amtrak ticket, and then not taking the second leg of the journey? Has anyone travelled the FTM-ORL-WPK route here? Please advise.
The only penalty will be no refund for the ORL-WPK train segment which is a few bucks. You'll have no problems with this at all. Get off the bus and walk away.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
...Get off the bus and walk away.
That is what I am planning to do. Tell me, is it ok if I spend, say an hour or so at the Orlando Amtrak, and then leave for Lynx Central station? I'll have woken up before sunrise and spent more than 5 hours on a bus already by the time I reach Orlando Amtrak. So I was thinking of spending a part of my time there and the rest of the afternoon at Lynx Central, before catching the Megabus. What do you think about it?
Old May 6, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
That is what I am planning to do. Tell me, is it ok if I spend, say an hour or so at the Orlando Amtrak, and then leave for Lynx Central station? I'll have woken up before sunrise and spent more than 5 hours on a bus already by the time I reach Orlando Amtrak. So I was thinking of spending a part of my time there and the rest of the afternoon at Lynx Central, before catching the Megabus. What do you think about it?
The Amtrak station will be safe enough and staffed for the hour you are there, it just might be a bit boring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.