Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Iced tea not included in regional Business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Flyertalk,
I recently took a trip in Buisness class which should have been $16 was instead $32 because of the "fare bucket difference" 16 for the upgrade $16 for the fare difference which to me sounds a little bit unfair but I decided to pay it knowing that I could call customer relations about it. To make things worse, not only did I pay the $32 for Business but then I found out Iced tea is not included so it was a great call to let customer relations know about my bad experience seeming the ticket says all non alcoholic beverages included. I was pretty pissed to find out not only I had these two issues but customer relations politely just told me to have a nice day ouch!
taking my car seems to look better and better these days especially with gas prices.
what are you experiences on this?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does it really say "all?" I know Gatorade is excluded as well. The sodas are the tiny cans, too. It's quite silly.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

right from their webpage: More Comfortable, More Productive

With spacious, comfortable seats, you can fold down your extra-large tray table, plug in to an at-seat power outlet and get to work. Or recline, stretch out your legs and take a much needed break. You'll also be able to enjoy a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage when the train is equipped with a food service car.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by OZ Man

With spacious, comfortable seats, you can fold down your extra-large tray table, plug in to an at-seat power outlet and get to work. Or recline, stretch out your legs and take a much needed break. You'll also be able to enjoy a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage when the train is equipped with a food service car.
Well, that very plainly doesn't say "all" non-alcoholic beverages. It just says "a" non-alcoholic beverage. This could theoretically take the form of a paper cup of tap water.

I can understand how you might infer from that wording that ALL non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, but IMO it clearly doesn't say that. Should Amtrak massage the wording a bit? Perhaps. But this doesn't really rank in the top 99% of Amtrak's many sins, IYAM. But as they say, YMMV. And yes, I'm trying to work in as much internet slang as possible into this paragraph. I haven't set a record yet, AFAICT.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Well, that very plainly doesn't say "all" non-alcoholic beverages. It just says "a" non-alcoholic beverage. This could theoretically take the form of a paper cup of tap water.

I can understand how you might infer from that wording that ALL non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, but IMO it clearly doesn't say that. Should Amtrak massage the wording a bit? Perhaps. But this doesn't really rank in the top 99% of Amtrak's many sins, IYAM. But as they say, YMMV. And yes, I'm trying to work in as much internet slang as possible into this paragraph. I haven't set a record yet, AFAICT.
Every once in a while we get this kind of post there someone is upset because they could not get the beverage of their choice. I agree with fairviewroad. All it says is that you can have something that is non alcoholic and you don't have to pay for it. Doesn't say what your going to get. And if they run out of their business class inventory, of certain items, you get even less choice.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
AGR Insider's post in this thread sort of helps explain the issue:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...biz-class.html

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
...the "free" inventory is different from the paid inventory in some physical way. This helps the attendant and the bean counters track the revenue and non-revenue inventory separately.

Example: paid Pepsis are 12 ounces, but the "free" Pepsis are 8 ounces. Paid Crystal Geyser water is a larger size than the "free" bottle. Paid Tropicana juice bottles are larger than the free ones. The paid coffee cups are taller than the free ones. You can always ask for two of the smaller bottles or cans to make up for the size difference (it's all subject to attendant's inventory and discretion... if he thinks your request for 12 apple juices is unreasonable, he might deny it). And you can always line up again later in your trip to get a different beverage, or another of the same.
So it looks like if the iced tea doesn't come in different sizes, then you don't get a free iced tea.

That post was from 2013...likely it's the same policy now.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
A couple of years ago, on the Wolverine business class, the attendant's rule was: Pepsi okay, water no.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by bitburgr
AGR Insider's post in this thread sort of helps explain the issue:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...biz-class.html

So it looks like if the iced tea doesn't come in different sizes, then you don't get a free iced tea.

That post was from 2013...likely it's the same policy now.
No wonder they're losing so much money on the cafe cars... so silly to stock 2 different sizes of drinks... They do the same thing on the coffee cups!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:16 pm

"I know Gatorade is excluded as well."

That one has actually been hit and miss depending on who is running things that day on Lincoln Service.

Ice tea has always been valid for years on Illinois service routes in Business Class. So either something has changed do to cutbacks or depends on region / crew.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Full 12-ounce soda on NER today but had to sign for it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:57 pm

Signing for it has always been standard procedure on routes I've taken Business Class. Normally on sheet - sometimes on receipt.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Iggyz
Signing for it has always been standard procedure on routes I've taken Business Class. Normally on sheet - sometimes on receipt.
Not in my experience on NER. This was the first time I got a normal-size can - or had to sign - in eight years of commuting by Amtrak.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:30 pm

That clearly proves the saying = only consistency with Amtrak is inconsistency. Each region has different procedures - ways of doing things - processes / experience can vary greatly by crew and region.

I think many of you out East forget that Amtrak serves a bigger portion of this country other than your neck of the woods.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Bottled juice does not come in multiple sizes in my experience. Then again, they probably don't inventory those. Sometimes, when I order a bottle of vodka and a bottle of juice to mix it with (not traveling in business class), the cafe car attendant charges it as a cocktail (only the alcohol is charged for, the juice is not)

Last edited by diburning; Feb 22, 2016 at 7:11 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Many of Amtrak's routes are funded by the State's so its really up to the State's what level of service is offered on the trains they fund. Business Class throughout the Amtrak system is a hodge podge of different standards. Pacific Surfliner ranks at the top and then there are the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.