Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about direct routes and overnight stays on point redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'm looking at redeeming Oakland to Boston. For the dates I want there's no bedrooms available on the California Zephyr, but the combination of a bus to SBA, the Pacific Surfliner and then the Southwest Chief works. Obviously I'd prefer not to spend 7 hours on a bus, so I was wondering whether the "Where sleeping car service is not offered for the entire published route, and where an alternate direct routing exists with sleeping car service on all segments, the alternate routing is allowed" language would allow me to take the Coast Starlight to LA, overnight there and then continue on the Southwest Chief? If I argue that I'm starting from Oakland Jack London (which has Coast Starlight but no California Zephyr service) rather than Emeryville (which has both) make a difference?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:59 pm

I think that makes sense. I would just call until you get a knowledgeable agent who understands what you're trying to. Ultimately they're the ones who can issue your ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:35 pm

Either origination city (Oakland or Emeryville) should work as well, since Amtrak.com gives a Southwest Chief itinerary. Your case is exactly one where alternative routing provisio should apply.

As Big4Flyer says, you'll have to get an experienced agent to book this trip. I've often encountered AGR agents who are reluctant to book anything other than the itineraries that appear on their screen.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
So far my attempts here have been unsuccessful - the explanation I've been given is that this part of the guidelines only applies if the initial leg of the published route includes sleeping accommodation. Does anybody know if this is actually the case or if I just need to keep trying?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mjg59
So far my attempts here have been unsuccessful - the explanation I've been given is that this part of the guidelines only applies if the initial leg of the published route includes sleeping accommodation. Does anybody know if this is actually the case or if I just need to keep trying?
Well, in one sense it's actually the case, because that's what the agent said, and in the end what matters is what the agent does or doesn't do.

On the other hand, the guidelines don't say anything about the initial leg, so I'm thinking that the agent just made up this "rule."

You could 1) call and try another agent, 2) ask to speak to a supervisor, or 3) appeal to AGR Insider. I make no claims about what my result from any of those options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.