Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Business vs coach seats in the East and NE: more leg room? other differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business vs coach seats in the East and NE: more leg room? other differences?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Business vs coach seats in the East and NE: more leg room? other differences?

I'm looking at some travel on Amtrak in the East and Northeast this September - e.g., Charlottesville to DC or Philadelphia, NYC to Boston, etc. I've skimmed through some relevant threads in this forum, but I'm still a bit unclear:

My main question is whether there much more legroom in the business class seats versus coach. But also other significant differences in the cars or seats? I really don't care about newspapers, refreshments, etc. And even power outlet access isn't crucial given that my laptop battery is good for six or seven hours.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:44 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Better recline, a footrest, a more supportive seat cushion, and more shoulder/elbow room between passengers (some horizontal separation between the two seats in a pair). Also, curtains on the windows.

Anthony
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I don't usually opt for the Business Class on the route you're talking about since the extra legroom is really not much (And I'm a big 6' guy who fits fine in Coach). The width of the seats seem exactly the same and the upcharge is hardly worth 1 or 2 drinks (which require you to wait in line for 10 minutes in the cafe car).

All of the seats on the northeast regional have free wifi and 1 power outlet for each seat. Sometimes they even have a business class car fill in for a coach and everyone gets a free upgrade.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Useful info. I'm 6'2" and am fine with coach, but was curious about whether and to what extent business was really better. I think I'll stick with coach.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
The only time I've ever found it to be worthwhile is on ALB to NYP trains that have 1 x 2 seating. Snagging a solo seat with a nice view is worth the upcharge to me.

Otherwise, no. I booked HAR to NYP on the Pennsylvanian and definitely found it not worth the charge. I'm 6'1 and fit comfortably in coach
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm 6'3" and prefer business class. I believe that BC sometimes boards first (at least in Washington, in my experience), and it's less crowded.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm 6'3" and prefer business class. I believe that BC sometimes boards first (at least in Washington, in my experience), and it's less crowded.
I don't usually use Washington, but in New York and Boston it definitely doesn't... People would book BC out of NYP like crazy if it boarded early or included some kind of priority boarding out of the Acela Club.

Another factor that just crossed my mind:

Business Class is only 1 car on the (typically) 8 car train. By booking business, you increase the odds of sitting next to someone, since it's only 1 car.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes and no. From my experience, Business class almost never gets more than half full. I've never been on a train in business where I've ever had a seatmate. I'm sure it's because people know it's not worth the upcharge.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have a seatmate about 10% of the time in NER Business. Since ridership is low anyway, they should try to provide 1-2 seating across the board. I would book Business every time, if that were the case.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by diburning
Yes and no. From my experience, Business class almost never gets more than half full. I've never been on a train in business where I've ever had a seatmate. I'm sure it's because people know it's not worth the upcharge.
+1. I'll book BC when I'm originating en route (say, BAL on the NE Regional northbound) since it tends to improve my seating options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.