Wiki Posts
Search

Double bookings a week apart???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Double bookings a week apart???

Okay so...

Have an AGR trip back home from vacation PHL-HOS expecting to leave PHL on 19 this afternoon. Found out when I woke up this morning that my grandmother passed unexpectedly last night, which obviously puts my plans in a bit of a boggle - family is not sure how long it will take to figure out when the services will be, and likely won't know until early-mid afternoon, and I have to be back at work a week from Monday due to other people's vacation plans.

I hop on amtrak.com and see that there are rooms on the 19 leaving a week from today, and decide on the brilliant plan to reserve the rooms on a "paid" reservation, and have them do the 24-hour hold for phone reservations. This will give enough time until early this afternoon to figure out if the services can be before next Thursday, or if they'll be later, in which case I can just go today as planned. This way, I have until around 3:30 to decide whether to leave today, or a week from now.

No go. Amtrak tells me this would be a "Double booking", and not allowed their policy.

Wait... what?

Travel is a full week apart. At no time would the two reservations overlap. I *THEORETICALLY* could be taking the one trip back to HOS today, FLY back to NJ, and do it again, just because that's how I roll. I mean, that's like saying someone who reserves the 4:30PM Train each day going home is double booking because they're traveling the same route at two different times.

Can someone please explain this one to me in a way that a rational human being could understand?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Sounds like you got a confused agent. This is where HUCA comes into play. Call again. DON'T mention anything about possible change in today's plans. IF the new agent should see you are already booked for today, just say "Yes, I'm planning a second trip", it's all true and there is no reason why Amtrak should intervene.

Good luck on getting this all worked out.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks... I ended up HUCA and just moving the reservations to next Thursday, since it's clear I'm not going today at this point.

FWIW, I did ask for a supervisor and got the same response. I just told them "Fine, I'll just have someone else hold the rooms for me until I figure out the timing. Thanks!". *rolling eyes*

I'd just love to know whether this interpretation as "Double booking" was correct, and if so, why?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JoeBas
Thanks... I ended up HUCA and just moving the reservations to next Thursday, since it's clear I'm not going today at this point.

FWIW, I did ask for a supervisor and got the same response. I just told them "Fine, I'll just have someone else hold the rooms for me until I figure out the timing. Thanks!". *rolling eyes*

I'd just love to know whether this interpretation as "Double booking" was correct, and if so, why?
It doesn't make sense to me either, but then I'm not Amtrak. Maybe one of the resident experts or AGRInsider will chime in. You can also try a web/email message to Amtrak asking the question.

My favorite comic skit is where a CSR gets a difficult customer and asks for a supervisor, he turns to his neighbor saying to take this call and say you are a supervisor.

I think once they get a sniff of anything "unusual" they start making up rules to say no. Happens way too often in support. Unfortunately there's no metric for "good support", at least none many companies will invest in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.