Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYP - BOS (Traveling with Kids)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
NYP - BOS (Traveling with Kids)

Travelling with 2 toddlers from NYP - BOS. Any suggestions on which train to pick and possible benefits - Regional Business, Regional Coach or Acela Business? Thank you in advance for the help.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Regional Coach is very nice. No amenities, but the seat is larger, wider, has more padding, and has more legroom than most domestic first class airline seats. The major difference is that there is no center armrest.

Regional Business is essentially Regional coach with more legroom, slightly thicker padding on the seats (the coach seats are already very nicely padded), free non-alcoholic beverages in the cafe car, and a free newspaper. Definitely not worth the cost unless coach is very full and you want more space to yourself (I've been on trains where coach is beyond full, yet business class pax get entire pairs of seats to themselves).

Acela Business is like Regional coach, except you're on a faster train that makes less stops, and has the highest priority over other trains.

If you're just traveling with toddlers, aren't in a real rush, and don't want to pay a lot, Regional Coach is the best bang for your buck.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The Acela trains are super cool looking, especially the locomotives, so if your kids like trains, that could be an advantage. It also is a substantially faster than the regional (from ~30 minutes to almost an hour, depending on which regional you comapre it to: the Acela is 3:39).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by diburning
Acela Business is like Regional coach, except you're on a faster train that makes less stops, and has the highest priority over other trains..
I agree with everything diburning says except I wouldn't say Acela biz is like Regional coach. Acela has leather seats which are a little more thinly padded, have footrests and armrests, and a decent amount of legroom. The windows are also much larger on the Acela than the Regional.

In terms of overall experience: Regional coach < Acela biz < Regional biz < Acela First.

However, like diburning says, Regional coach is probably the best bang for your buck.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Another factor for traveling with kids is getting seats together. The Acela has lots of tables in each car that is nice for a family of 3 or 4. The regional have tables in the cafe, which can be a nice way to break up the trip.

Be sure to get a red cap at NYP and Boston to take your family down to the train together and beat the general boarding.

As others have noted, coach on the regional is more or less the seat pitch of a domestic first seat - the seats are 2x2 in both Coach and Business. The only 2x1 seating Amtrak has is on the Acela in First Class.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The child fare might only be available on Regional Coach. I don't know the full rules, but I know there are some restrictions.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Thanks all for the great advice. I ended up booking the Acela with time being the deciding factor. I figured getting home half hour early is worth the extra points.

@nerd - Acela indeed does offer the same half price tickets for kids under 2.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thestallion123
@nerd - Acela indeed does offer the same half price tickets for kids under 2.
Is this weekend travel?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:02 pm

Agreed that you should definitely get a red cap to take you down to the train. You will have a much better shot at getting a four-top table seat.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Just not in the Quiet Car. ;-)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Freckles68
Just not in the Quiet Car. ;-)
Srsly!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Is this weekend travel?
Yes - Sunday!!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your kids will love the Acela. Not only can you knock as much as an hour off the trip (which can be helpful if you add in time to/from the station on either end), but the look of the train, the large windows and the 4 seat with a table configuration all lead to something which makes the ride fun.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by thestallion123
Yes - Sunday!!
Please come back and let us know how it went!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
Please come back and let us know how it went!
The journey was fantastic and very seamless (which is a rare instance when traveling with a Toddler & Child). The 4 seat tables were perfect for the family. Good tip on the Red Cap service - I don't we would have been able to get the tables without their help and assistance. No more trips by Car or Planes to NY!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.