Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

first overnight train - 2 newbie questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm really quite excited to take my first overnight train. in early April I'll be taking the Capitol Limited from CHI-WAS and I'll be traveling in a roomette. I have two questions please (and this will prove that I'm a newbie at this overnight train thing)
1) is there a shower onboard? and if so, does Amtrak provide towels, soap, shampoo etc?
2) i KNOW this is silly but..... if there is a shower, will there be people walking to/from the shower in bath robes? pajamas? what I'm asking is what is proper attire to go to/from the shower?
Again, I'll have a roomette so I know there is no shower in the room. Thanks for any info and please forgive my naivete on these matters.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) There's a shower on the lower level. If you're in the transition sleeper car, there are two on the upper level. You should be provided a towel. It's pretty skimpy, but it works. I've found it's hit or miss with soap/shampoo, and try to bring my own.

2) People will be walking to/from the shower in robes and/or pajamas. It's pretty low-key (some would say a bit rustic), but basic etiquette is observed.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
1) There's a shower on the lower level. If you're in the transition sleeper car, there are two on the upper level. You should be provided a towel. It's pretty skimpy, but it works. I've found it's hit or miss with soap/shampoo, and try to bring my own.

2) People will be walking to/from the shower in robes and/or pajamas. It's pretty low-key (some would say a bit rustic), but basic etiquette is observed.

Enjoy the trip!
+ 1
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:41 am

On a relatively short train route like the CL, you may find that there's not much competition for the shower. I've found that a lot of times there are stacks of clean towels in the changing area of the shower compartment (when you enter from the hallway, there is a small bench to sit on in this area and the shower is adjacent, with either a curtain or a glass door). You can probably get away with using more than one towel if you find the size a bit small.

I usually just wear jeans and a tshirt down there and take my change of undergarments. I also take flip-flops since you must wear footwear at all times when outside of your roomette. Try to time your shower when the train is on a slower or straighter section or even do it while you are at one of the longer station stops. There are handholds, but sometimes if the engineer has the selector at "Ludicrous Speed" on a curvy track section, it's tough to stay upright in there.

The shower control may require that you periodically push the button in to continue the water flow. (There is a single lever for temperature). On my last trip, however, the flow was continuous without pushing the button).
Lastly, there will probably be a red laundry bag for the wet towel when you are done.
Oh, don't forget to lock the door when you are in there!
Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:43 am

Also, depending on the version of superliner, you may be able to see "daylight" through the shower drain--yes it drains onto the tracks.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Ah, the good ol' days

Originally Posted by SteveSTX
Also, depending on the version of superliner, you may be able to see "daylight" through the shower drain--yes it drains onto the tracks.
When all facilities released onto track-bed-, only possible benefit to pax was if they were smoking something not "permitted(and this was when there were smoking sections)."
But, to reinforce above comments be ready to grab the grab bar-it will be a shower of short duration but avoid making it shorter by a slip/fall. Flip- flops in the shower might sound more hygienic but your footing will be compromised. Typically, a large mail-type bag of towels are present so should be plenty. Tiny bars of soap, not so soapy but, if recall correct, also a liquid-soap hand dispenser adjacent
Moreover, enjoy! I've "done 'em all," some numerous times but this run completed my 100% Amtrak coverage en route to the Inauguration two years back, it was truly the "Inauguration Special."
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP here. Trip is coming up in two weeks but just wanted to thank all those who replied. Special thanks to SteveSTX but thanks to all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.