Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

$119 Acela Saturday Fares (WAS-NYP) - No upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond

Not eligible for upgrade? What gives? Wish I had read the fine print before booking.

Edited to add: There is no fine print when booking - it is only in the separate terms of the promo.

Last edited by vatraveler; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Not eligible for upgrade? What gives? Wish I had read the fine print before booking.
Well, it's a special fare, and the print that says "Valid for Business class seats only; no First class upgrades permitted" is not all that fine.

You're still getting an Acela trip at a fare lower than the normal low bucket. If an upgrade is essential, you could cancel, apply the value to an eVoucher, then buy-up to a fare that permits upgrades.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I don't know when you get to see the fine print but I tried to book the fare and all the way till the payment page I did not see the restrictions! It's crazy that Amtrak expects the customers to read their mind!!

Or am I missing something and if that then it still doesn't prove that the restriction is clearly visible?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrChu
I don't know when you get to see the fine print but I tried to book the fare and all the way till the payment page I did not see the restrictions! It's crazy that Amtrak expects the customers to read their mind!!

Or am I missing something and if that then it still doesn't prove that the restriction is clearly visible?
I do not see the restriction when booking the fare. It's only in the fine print/terms of the promo itself. Pretty shady, if you ask me, since not everyone will realize it's a restricted promo if the fare comes up, and they book it.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
This is very annoying. It should state it before it accepts the payment!

I only take the Acela if I can upgrade to First because Acela Business is Zoo with suits having teleconferences and breathing on each other's neck! and since I only go up to WIL the time difference between the Regional and the Acela is minimal.

The only time I can justify paying those ridiculous fares is if someone else is paying for my ticket (client or vendor) or if I get to go in Acela First. Otherwise Regional Business is lot quieter and relaxing...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Amtrak does leave gaping holes in their terms. I recall trying to find out what "other restrictions" that might apply to a fare I was looking at using and there was no link on the web page and I even called in to ask and they had no clue what else might apply.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
You're right, and I stand corrected.

I looked at the link for the promo, and the prohibition for upgrades was listed there. But, I just tried a dummy booking, and it not shown anywhere in the booking process - not in the info for "Saver" fares and not in the "Terms and Conditions" link after putting the selection in the cart. It is a shoddy sales practice.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
I looked at the link for the promo, and the prohibition for upgrades was listed there. But, I just tried a dummy booking, and it not shown anywhere in the booking process - not in the info for "Saver" fares and not in the "Terms and Conditions" link after putting the selection in the cart. It is a shoddy sales practice.
While it doesn't make things right by any shape of the imagination, as clearly evidenced in this thread, this all comes back to ARROW's limitations.

Until Amtrak can find the money to replace ARROW, this type of scenario will continue to play out.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Probably won't do this again. The Saturday Regional I take is way less crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.