Wiki Posts
Search

Double TQP toward status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Double TQP toward status

I just got, what appears to be a targeted promotion, for double tier qualification points from now until the end of the year. This is good because I'm about 1600 points from Select Plus. I got excited, but in reading the small print, it looks like each segment must cost at least $35! Boo. Anyone else receive this?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I got the same, I am about 1,600 short of Select which I was last year. Same $35 minimum.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:30 am

How to become targeted?

Any ideas on a way to get this promotion if I wasn't originally targeted? I have about 2000 points to go to make Select and I am already scheduled for 3 Acela segments for ~1500 of those. Double tqp would do it for me...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:45 pm

I would suggest calling and see if they can extend it to you. The worst they can say is no.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I just received this e-mail today; I'm around 3k points short of the Select Exec tier. That said, I do not see any reference to a $35 minimum in my e-mail. Was this in separate terms & conditions for others, or was it right in the e-mail? Just wondering how much this will help me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:59 am

It was in the terms and conditions of what I received. You may not have that limitation going for Select Exec, here is the language

Terms and conditions:
Earn double Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) per qualifying Amtrak trip from October 15, 2014 12:00:00am CT through December 31, 2014 11:59:59pm CT. Minimum spend of $35 per one-way segment is required for travel to qualify. Limit of two qualifying one-way segments per day. A maximum of 1,000 bonus Tier Qualifying Points may be earned through this promotion. Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) are the base points you earn on your Amtrak travel and are the points that count toward earning tier status. This offer is not transferable, and only eligible members may participate. Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/FastTrack to participate. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Other terms and conditions may apply.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:34 am

I called. They said no. Oh well. I am being forced to fly a lot these days, anyway. Maybe I should just pick up extra qualifying segments and fly instead of taking the train. Acela has actually become more expensive than flying...

Don't really like the idea, but if Amtrak isn't interested...
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 am

Honestly from what I have seen in another forum - this "targeted" promotion is being given to many who aren't exactly frequent travelers with Amtrak. This promotion should be given to all riders who have shown loyalty and who ride often. Yet another example of how Amtrak just doesn't get it.

My current status - You need 2,630 TQPs to reach Select Plus for 2014 - will be at around 1900 when all current travel is taken and credited. Had an assistant conductor try to noshow me other day on Lincoln Service even though she was one who has at door I boarded on - with only 2 other passengers. Luckily I came across head conductor who resolved this.

Point being it is not easy for many of us outside Acela territory to earn upgraded status - we bust our backsides to get to SELECT. Loyalty should be rewarded - in most cases with current program it is not. And feedback is not taken seriously.

With a double TQP offer - varies - seen 1000 to 1600 quoted as offer received - I could easily earn SELECT+ by end of year. Interesting how they will give free travel to writers etc that wanted to play ball their way. But don't seem to value every day customers or those of us who have written about, promoted and tried our best to help keep lines funded. Featured video content of routes, track upgrades and rail meetings etc.

Last edited by Iggyz; Nov 27, 2014 at 11:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.