Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak's Train Choices From BNL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Amtrak's Train Choices From BNL

When looking for options to travel from Chicago to Emeryville, I can choose the Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr or TE/Sunset Ltd.

When looking for options to travel from BNL (Bloomington, IL) to Emeryville, CA, I am given the choice of the CZ or TE/SL. I cannot reserve the EB or SWC.

I feel this must have been an oversite and needs to be changed.

Can Flyer Talk help with this?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You should probably alert a Moderator, and request that your thread be moved to FT's dedicated Amtrak thread.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:02 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Everydaymatters
When looking for options to travel from BNL (Bloomington, IL) to Emeryville, CA, I am given the choice of the CZ or TE/SL. I cannot reserve the EB or SWC.
Those trains simply do not pass through Bloomington. Take a look at the route maps on the Amtrak site. The Empire Builder leaves Chicago northward to Milwaukee and the Southwest Chief is more of a westerly path across the state.

You can buy a separate ticket to Chicago. Just leave a (very) long layover, as this sort of backtracking is probably not a common connection.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since your query pertains specifically to Amtrak, the thread has been moved to the dedicated Amtrak forum where it will be seen by more of the members who are knowledgable of the subject.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It may be due to the connection times for the available trains from/to BNL (not sure without looking them up). I do know that the EB is experiencing systemic and lengthy delays this summer...I believe I've read that Amtrak isn't selling connections to/from EB if they can't guarantee the connection.

But as mentioned above just book a separate ticket to CHI, but leave lots of buffer time.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Those trains simply do not pass through Bloomington. Take a look at the route maps on the Amtrak site. The Empire Builder leaves Chicago northward to Milwaukee and the Southwest Chief is more of a westerly path across the state.
This answer is only partially correct. Using the EB from BNL would indeed require backtracking to Chicago, and it's not a logical connection.

However, the CZ also does not pass through Bloomington but as the OP correctly points out, Amtrak does offer tickets from BNL to EMY on the CZ...by using a Thruway bus connection to GBB.

And since the SWC also passes through GBB (one hour after the CZ), there is no particular reason why that Thruway connection shouldn't also be offered for sale as a way to get from BNL to EMY.

The answer is probably that it hasn't been programmed into the system, as opposed to being a deliberate decision on the part of Amtrak.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
This answer is only partially correct. Using the EB from BNL would indeed require backtracking to Chicago, and it's not a logical connection.

However, the CZ also does not pass through Bloomington but as the OP correctly points out, Amtrak does offer tickets from BNL to EMY on the CZ...by using a Thruway bus connection to GBB.

And since the SWC also passes through GBB (one hour after the CZ), there is no particular reason why that Thruway connection shouldn't also be offered for sale as a way to get from BNL to EMY.

The answer is probably that it hasn't been programmed into the system, as opposed to being a deliberate decision on the part of Amtrak.
Yes, I should have stated that the Empire Builder and Southwest Chief are not programmed into the system. I should also have state that I would be using AGR points, and therefore should not have to pay for an extra ticket from BNL to Chi. These two trains should be programmed and I am wondering what other trains have been erroneously omitted which require a connection at Chicago from BNL. Also, I am hoping the insider can take care of investigating and correcting the BNL programming issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.