Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help! HOS-SEA May 13th (Missing Connection?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi all -- I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Amtrak (last year I did CHI-LAX-EMY-DEN and loved it).

I'm wanting to travel HOS-SEA on the TE, CZ, and CS. It should be possible on days when SL does not run, like May 13th. Unfortunately, the Amtrak system simply suggests that I travel on the SL on May 14th.

On the 13th, I could go HOS-SAC on the same route by using the AMbus connection from Houston to Longview, so I don't understand why I can't use the bus connection to travel on the same trains if my destination is SEA.

I could also travel to SEA on that same route from LVW, DAL, AUS, or SAS. I called AGR and asked if I could just purchase the AMbus connection from HOS-LVW and use the reward from that point, but they said no-go, can't purchase the bus separately.

Arrow appears to allow me to put a paid multi-city trip in my cart HOS-LVW and then LVW-SEA.

Any ideas? I thought about buying a $4 ticket on MegaBus from HOS-DAL and boarding there, but the TE is detouring on May 13th and won't be stopping in DAL. I guess I could see about a ticket on the 'Hound from HOS-LVW.

Thanks,
Steve
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

I see now that I could book the roomette reward from Marshall TX (MHL) to SEA and just buy a coach ticket from HOS-MHL for $37 which would put me on AMbus, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I can't figure your routing out -- are you going via Chicago, then Sacramento, then Seattle?

If so, they may make you to go on the more direct route via LA.

Bob H
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, the desired routing is actually Houston-Springfield, IL on the TE (the Houston-Longview part is Amtrak Bus). Then Amtrak Bus from Springfield over to Galesburg to catch the Zephyr to SAC and then CS to SEA You can't go all the way to CHI because the Zephyr departs CHI before the TE arrives.

I finally figured out that I could buy a revenue coach ticket from Houston-Marshall, TX (the next stop past Longview) and then get the 2-zone roomette on my desired (published) routing to SEA from there. I had to buy to Marshall because you can't purchase only the HOS-LVW bus segment.

Regarding the more direct published routing -- Since the Sunset Limited doesn't run on my desired travel day, you'd think they would offer another routing rather than saying "No trains available" and suggesting I travel the next day.

And if I were leaving from San Antonio, I could go either the direct route via SL to LAX or the crazy long route north on the Texas Eagle as noted above, so it doesn't seem they force you to take the shortest route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.