Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

AGR redemption travel connecting from the Empire Builder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)

As you may be aware, some previously guaranteed connections from the Empire Builder were suspended/removed by Amtrak this week due to excessive delays. We have decided to allow an overnight(s) at the customer's expense, as part of the same redemption, at PDX or CHI to catch the next run of these trains that were previously guaranteed connections from the Builder. This exception would remain in effect until/unless the guaranteed connections are restored or modified. The contact center leadership is aware of the decision and should be allowing this exception as of yesterday. If the individual agent is unaware of the exception, please ask him/her to consult with a lead agent or supervisor who would have the information available.

Examples:
8/28 to 30 (at CHI) - can overnight once to next run of 30
8/28 to 50 (at CHI) - can overnight until next run of 50
8/28 to 59 (at CHI) - can overnight once to next run of 59
8/28 to 48/448 - same-day connection remains; no overnight permitted
27 to 11 (at PDX) - can overnight once to next run of 11

Anthony Rizos
Program Manager
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting to see if ticket agents will allow space-available "standby" travel on days that the EB does arrive in CHI or PDX on time to make the connection. (For instance, yesterday's 27 arrived in PDX in plenty of time to connect with yesterday's 11.) Still, this is a far better solution than refusing those AGR redemptions entirely, which dramatically increased the cost of an AGR redemption to/from locations along the Empire Builder route.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Cool Connections in PDX/CHI from Empire Builder

^Outstanding! Another Tip of the Hat to Anthony and the AGR/Amtrak Team !!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting to see if ticket agents will allow space-available "standby" travel on days that the EB does arrive in CHI or PDX on time to make the connection. (For instance, yesterday's 27 arrived in PDX in plenty of time to connect with yesterday's 11.) Still, this is a far better solution than refusing those AGR redemptions entirely, which dramatically increased the cost of an AGR redemption to/from locations along the Empire Builder route.
Irony of ironies, it's now easier to book an AGR trip connecting from the Builder than it is a "normal" trip.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Excellent news!

Thanks to Anthony Rizos for the update and for helping to make AGR as good as it can be.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
As you may be aware, some previously guaranteed connections from the Empire Builder were suspended/removed by Amtrak this week due to excessive delays. We have decided to allow an overnight(s) at the customer's expense, as part of the same redemption, at PDX or CHI to catch the next run of these trains that were previously guaranteed connections from the Builder. This exception would remain in effect until/unless the guaranteed connections are restored or modified. The contact center leadership is aware of the decision and should be allowing this exception as of yesterday. If the individual agent is unaware of the exception, please ask him/her to consult with a lead agent or supervisor who would have the information available.

Examples:
27 to 11 (at PDX) - can overnight once to next run of 11

Anthony Rizos
Program Manager
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Anthony,
Thanks for providing this valuable information. I am currently confirmed on 27 connecting in PDX to 11 on 4/26. Do you expect these delays to still be a frequent occurrence at that time? Should I be buiding in the overnight in PDX in my current travel schedule? I would actually enjoy a day in Portland, but already have commitments to be in LA on 4/27.

I'm not sure whether these current delays are being caused by temporary track work or are expected to be a long term problem so your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armani
Anthony,
Thanks for providing this valuable information. I am currently confirmed on 27 connecting in PDX to 11 on 4/26. Do you expect these delays to still be a frequent occurrence at that time? Should I be buiding in the overnight in PDX in my current travel schedule? I would actually enjoy a day in Portland, but already have commitments to be in LA on 4/27.

I'm not sure whether these current delays are being caused by temporary track work or are expected to be a long term problem so your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't heard when the Train Operations teams plan to restore the same-day connections -- no doubt they are working closely with the host railroad to get the train back on schedule -- but I believe if you are already confirmed on such an itinerary, the reservations will be individually reaccommodated. That means that an agent would manually look at each affected reservation, determine any necessary adjustments, and contact each traveler. This can take some time due to the volume of bookings, so you may want to be proactive and call the reservations line to have your booking looked at more quickly.

That said, the likely answer you'd get today is yes, you should build in extra time into your schedule, or else risk missing the connection and not being guaranteed alternate arrangements, since there is no specific date yet for restoration. If you have some flexibility in your plans, you might want to wait to call in a month or so for any updates as the situation progresses. Late April is far enough away that progress toward the issue may have been made before departure.

Sorry I don't have much more at this point -- we are doing what we can in the loyalty marketing team to make the best of the situation for our members with redemption travel, even though the issue is outside of our domain.

Thanks!
Anthony
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Too bad no overnight for the LSL.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:06 pm

I reserved an MR award night in Portland as a backup but am currently holding off on changing my train reservation until the next day since my trip is in April. Does anyone know what is causing these delays, and do you think the situation will improve by April?

I wouldn't mind spending a night in Portland, but would then miss a night in my timeshare in Newport Coast that is already paid for. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
^ I have avoided the eastbound Builder for the past 2 years due to the gamble on the schedule. Extreme cold, mudslides, flooding, construction, and oil traffic all make for an adventure. To be fair, in December the westbound Builder beat my Southwest flight from Chicago to MSP by several hours.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:10 pm

I haven't heard when the Train Operations teams plan to restore the same-day connections -- no doubt they are working closely with the host railroad to get the train back on schedule -- but I believe if you are already confirmed on such an itinerary, the reservations will be individually reaccommodated. That means that an agent would manually look at each affected reservation, determine any necessary adjustments, and contact each traveler. This can take some time due to the volume of bookings, so you may want to be proactive and call the reservations line to have your booking looked at more quickly.

That said, the likely answer you'd get today is yes, you should build in extra time into your schedule, or else risk missing the connection and not being guaranteed alternate arrangements, since there is no specific date yet for restoration. If you have some flexibility in your plans, you might want to wait to call in a month or so for any updates as the situation progresses. Late April is far enough away that progress toward the issue may have been made before departure.

Sorry I don't have much more at this point -- we are doing what we can in the loyalty marketing team to make the best of the situation for our members with redemption travel, even though the issue is outside of our domain.

Thanks!
Anthony
I am very impressed that Amtrak called me yesterday and left a message about the potential delay problems and explained the possibility of an overnight stay in Portland. I would greatly appreciate your input regarding the following questions:

1. My current itinerary is from Chicago to LA. Since the Empire Builder/ Coast Starlight option is no longer offered, would I be able to keep my current itinerary, but change my Coast Starlight reservation to the following day with an overnight in Portland?
2. If I change and the Empire Builder is on time in Portland, can I change back on the day of travel to the original train (assuming space available)?
3. I have confirmed bedroom accommodations on both trains currently and hd used an AGR award.Would I be able to change to a family bedroom on the Coast Starlight if available?

I have been monitoring the EB arrival status for the past week. Many trains were close to on time, two had 'disruption' notices with no status, and one arrived about 6 hours late. I will likely monitor for another week and change my reservation is necessary and possible. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

1. My current itinerary is from Chicago to LA. Since the Empire Builder/ Coast Starlight option is no longer offered, would I be able to keep my current itinerary, but change my Coast Starlight reservation to the following day with an overnight in Portland?
Yes, we'll be flexible about that for already booked itineraries affected by the removal of the guaranteed Empire Builder connection. Ask to speak with a lead agent if the person you talk to is not offering that option you proposed. Remember that your overnight in Portland is on your own dime in that scenario.

2. If I change and the Empire Builder is on time in Portland, can I change back on the day of travel to the original train (assuming space available)?
That shouldn't be a problem, assuming as you noted that space is available in the same class of service. However, if you do end up missing the connection, it would not be guaranteed by Amtrak (i.e. your overnight expenses in Portland would not be covered by Amtrak).

3. I have confirmed bedroom accommodations on both trains currently and hd used an AGR award.Would I be able to change to a family bedroom on the Coast Starlight if available?
Yes, family bedrooms are booked at the same point rate as normal bedrooms.

Anthony
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:38 pm

Anthony,
Thanks for all of your help. One more request: Please add train service to Columbus, OH

I know this is unrelated, btu do you think there is any chance to increase frequency of the Cardinal? The limited schedul really reduces opportunities for roundtrip travel to Chicago or DC.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:00 am

If the individual agent is unaware of the exception, please ask him/her to consult with a lead agent or supervisor who would have the information available.
Just called about my SJC->IND trip and spoke to Roger. At first he told me the 28->50 connection wasn't possible, so I told him about the exception and to ask his supervisor. Same answer - the only way Amtrak will book the overnight in CHI is as two separate redemptions. They (Roger and his supervisor) swear they've never heard anything about this exception.

How can I talk to somebody who knows about it?

And BTW, I was on hold with AGR for 45 minutes before I even got to talk to Roger. When did the hold times get so long??

Thanks,
Bob
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert Armstrong
Just called about my SJC->IND trip and spoke to Roger. At first he told me the 28->50 connection wasn't possible, so I told him about the exception and to ask his supervisor. Same answer - the only way Amtrak will book the overnight in CHI is as two separate redemptions. They (Roger and his supervisor) swear they've never heard anything about this exception.

How can I talk to somebody who knows about it?

And BTW, I was on hold with AGR for 45 minutes before I even got to talk to Roger. When did the hold times get so long??

Thanks,
Bob
Please send me a private message with your member number and I'll see what happened. Thanks.

Anthony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.