Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions to keep quiet cars quiet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Suggestions to keep quiet cars quiet

I really like Amtrak's quiet cars; I've recently taken 2 NYP-BOS round trips in them, and they were pretty quiet and comfortable.

It seems, though, that passengers frequently come into them and just start talking on their cell phones, not realizing that they're in quiet cars. (Fortunately, other passengers seem to quickly get them to be quiet.)

Maybe Amtrak could post "Quiet Car" signs at the exterior entrances to quiet cars, and maybe put notices on the electronic message boards as well inside the cars?

Other suggestions?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Maybe Amtrak could post "Quiet Car" signs at the exterior entrances to quiet cars,
i thought there were?

But I do agree.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
i thought there were?

But I do agree.
It varies. Some have zero signage, neither on the doors or hanging from the ceiling. Some conductors also verbally remind when they collect tickets. Others don't.

I'd like to physically throw quiet car offenders off the moving train but doubt that's going to happen. Realistically, I'd suggest different color for the signs so they don't blend into the world around it (i.e. yellow paper) as well subtext in Spanish.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
While I understand that some people accidentally happen upon the quiet car without knowing the rules, there are some people who *know* it's a quiet car and still engage in louder than a whisper conversation.

Along with better signage as suggested, I think it would be nice to have a "report a violator text line" like they do in football stadiums where you can report people for talking too loud.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The Quiet Cars that I was in, on Northeast Regional trains, just had a few signs hanging from the ceiling. People at the front of each car couldn't see them, and people who boarded the train and went to the quiet car may have missed them.

I saw at least one Acela Express that had "Quiet Car" logos on the exterior of the train, which I thought was a good idea.

Quiet Cars could also be re-branded as "Single Traveler Cars" or something, since people in groups almost always talk.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Quiet Cars could also be re-branded as "Single Traveler Cars" or something, since people in groups almost always talk.
I think a group of two will generally talk quietly, in my experience. My problem are those single travelers who talk on their cellphones. Loudly.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
?..there are some people who *know* it's a quiet car and still engage in louder than a whisper
there is also inconsistency about the meaning. Is it "no talking at all" or "brief exchanges at whisper level" or "talk as long as you want as long as it's at whisper level"?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I was in a quiet car EWR-PHL the other evening. I didn't realize it was the quiet car until I heard a guy tell the woman yakking away on her cell phone, "Hey, you're in the quiet car."

She apologized...and then continued to yak at normal volume for another five minutes (although it did sound like she was trying to wind the conversation down) before telling the person on the other end of the line that she was "apparently in the quiet car" and should probably go. Mercifully, she did.

I actually didn't notice the yakking until the guy said something to her...and from that point on, I couldn't ignore it and almost turned around and shushed her myself.

The point is, though, that neither of us realized we were in the quiet car. It really does need to be better signed--preferably from both the outside as well as on the doors leading into the car.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitburgr
there is also inconsistency about the meaning. Is it "no talking at all" or "brief exchanges at whisper level" or "talk as long as you want as long as it's at whisper level"?
Well, the rules are fairly straightforward:

Originally Posted by Amtrak.com
Passenger conversation must be in quiet, subdued tones, and should be limited. Passengers who want to carry on extended conversations should move to another car.
http://www.amtrak.com/onboard-the-train-quiet-car
Old May 18, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
They actually have the ability to broadcast an announcement that can only be heard in the quiet car. I heard them do it once... it was something like "if you can hear my voice, that means you're in the quiet car..." and ran down the rules. They need to do this at every stop. No reason they can't.

Failing that, the conductor simply needs to announce it as he enters the car at every stop to collect tickets. Making an inaudible PA announcement that "the second car is the quiet car" has NO effect, as most people do not count cars when they board a train. Nor do they necessarily happen to look up at the exact spot the silly little signs are hanging in. (And announcing it only at the first stop is pointless.)

ALSO, the conductor needs to tell people with children that they should not be sitting in the quiet car. Most children simply cannot keep still or quiet for hours at a time. They're CHILDREN. There are many other cars to choose from where children are free to make noise, and you should sit there instead.

Amtrak cannot reasonably expect passengers to enforce their rules. We don't work for Amtrak, and we don't carry any authority. And if you're going to have a quiet car, you should use common sense and all available technology to ensure that EVERYONE who boards the quiet car IMMEDIATELY KNOWS it's the quiet car--and enforce the rules. I've heard conductors dress down passengers asking for quiet by saying things like "it's the quiet car, not the SILENT car!"

The non-existent quiet of the quiet car is a constant annoyance to me as a traveler. There's only one car out of what, 7-9 cars? set aside for quiet. If you must converse during the trip--like if you're traveling with a companion and it's unavoidable--just sit in a different car. If I am not sitting next to you, and I can hear your conversation well enough to know what you're discussing, you are too loud for the quiet car. This also goes for your ringtones, your mp3 player, your video games or your computer. Not to mention your gagging, hacking and chronic throat clearing. If you cannot be quiet for whatever reason... simply sit somewhere besides the quiet car. Don't sit in the quiet car and then take an attitude when people expect you to be quiet. And don't have loud cellphone conversations in the quiet car and give people the finger--and keep talking--when they nicely tell you that you can't do that in the quiet car.

Basically only Amtrak has both the capability and authority to enforce the rules they themselves have set. If they can manage to enforce the "you can't sit in Business Class with a Coach ticket" rule without difficulty, they can do the same for the quiet car.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Freckles68
They actually have the ability to broadcast an announcement that can only be heard in the quiet car. I heard them do it once... it was something like "if you can hear my voice, that means you're in the quiet car..." and ran down the rules. They need to do this at every stop. No reason they can't.

Failing that, the conductor simply needs to announce it as he enters the car at every stop to collect tickets. Making an inaudible PA announcement that "the second car is the quiet car" has NO effect, as most people do not count cars when they board a train. Nor do they necessarily happen to look up at the exact spot the silly little signs are hanging in. (And announcing it only at the first stop is pointless.)

ALSO, the conductor needs to tell people with children that they should not be sitting in the quiet car. Most children simply cannot keep still or quiet for hours at a time. They're CHILDREN. There are many other cars to choose from where children are free to make noise, and you should sit there instead.

Amtrak cannot reasonably expect passengers to enforce their rules. We don't work for Amtrak, and we don't carry any authority. And if you're going to have a quiet car, you should use common sense and all available technology to ensure that EVERYONE who boards the quiet car IMMEDIATELY KNOWS it's the quiet car--and enforce the rules. I've heard conductors dress down passengers asking for quiet by saying things like "it's the quiet car, not the SILENT car!"

The non-existent quiet of the quiet car is a constant annoyance to me as a traveler. There's only one car out of what, 7-9 cars? set aside for quiet. If you must converse during the trip--like if you're traveling with a companion and it's unavoidable--just sit in a different car. If I am not sitting next to you, and I can hear your conversation well enough to know what you're discussing, you are too loud for the quiet car. This also goes for your ringtones, your mp3 player, your video games or your computer. Not to mention your gagging, hacking and chronic throat clearing. If you cannot be quiet for whatever reason... simply sit somewhere besides the quiet car. Don't sit in the quiet car and then take an attitude when people expect you to be quiet. And don't have loud cellphone conversations in the quiet car and give people the finger--and keep talking--when they nicely tell you that you can't do that in the quiet car.

Basically only Amtrak has both the capability and authority to enforce the rules they themselves have set. If they can manage to enforce the "you can't sit in Business Class with a Coach ticket" rule without difficulty, they can do the same for the quiet car.
Amen. My "usual" conductor northbound is really good about this and does make the "if you can hear my voice" announcement. On the southbound train I normally take, the conductor does zilch to police the quiet car. It goes relatively well to WAS, but anything south of there is a free for all. Peeps traveling into VA just don't seem to get the whole quiet car concept.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
On NE Regional 156 from DC to NY. Quiet Car has no signs at all, is not designated in any way. And we're already in Baltimore. Two women have been talking nonstop since DC, and passengers have complained to the conductor. The conductor told the women they are in the Quiet Car and people are complaining. As soon as he left the car, they resumed their conversation. They haven't shut up for a single second.

Sorry, but this is insane. I am in this car because I have work to do. And I am not on Amtrak's payroll, so why am I expected to do the work involved in enforcing their rules?

Oh, now the women have left, to be replaced by two more people who can't shut up. Honestly. Can't be quiet? DON'T SIT IN THE QUIET CAR.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
On the Acela, there are signs outside the train and hanging from the ceiling, but they are very easy to miss. I would love to see the signs on the back of each seat!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:21 am

"Enjoying" yet another chatter-filled ride on the so-called Quiet Car. Couple with a red cap at NYP (he was brought down in a wheelchair but walks with a cane) could have sat ANYWHERE, but haaaaaad to sit in the Quiet Car (they say they "reserved" the seats and made someone else move... the person should have moved anyway, but whatever). And they have not shut up for 5 seconds. No amount of shushing or dirty looks or reminders will make them stop talking, laughing, etc.

I'm on the Quiet Car--the ONE car set aside for quiet--because I need to work on this trip. Why can't people traveling together and need to talk the whole time simply SIT IN ANOTHER CAR? And why am I the villain for expecting them to be quiet if they're going to sit in the Quiet Car? If this was a regular car, FINE. Too bad, so sad for me. But it's not, and I shouldn't be the bad guy in this situation. I ALSO shouldn't be the one responsible for enforcing Amtrak's rules, as I lack both the authority to do so and the salary to do Amtrak's employees' job for them.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Freckles68
"Enjoying" yet another chatter-filled ride on the so-called Quiet Car. Couple with a red cap at NYP (he was brought down in a wheelchair but walks with a cane) could have sat ANYWHERE, but haaaaaad to sit in the Quiet Car (they say they "reserved" the seats and made someone else move... the person should have moved anyway, but whatever). And they have not shut up for 5 seconds. No amount of shushing or dirty looks or reminders will make them stop talking, laughing, etc.

I'm on the Quiet Car--the ONE car set aside for quiet--because I need to work on this trip. Why can't people traveling together and need to talk the whole time simply SIT IN ANOTHER CAR? And why am I the villain for expecting them to be quiet if they're going to sit in the Quiet Car? If this was a regular car, FINE. Too bad, so sad for me. But it's not, and I shouldn't be the bad guy in this situation. I ALSO shouldn't be the one responsible for enforcing Amtrak's rules, as I lack both the authority to do so and the salary to do Amtrak's employees' job for them.
I feel your pain. This was Acela or NER?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.