Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Kid in Bedroom (3 pax)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

I just booked a bedroom from TPA-WAS using AGR points for my two young boys and me later in the year (sequel to an outstanding Chicago – DC trip last year). I was told by the first AGR rep that as of July 1, third passengers were no longer able to travel in bedrooms as an override on AGR tickets (previously done only for young kids). They apparently can still do it for revenue tickets but not AGR – and there was no co-pay option to add him in. Luckily, by the time I actually pulled the trigger on the booking, the AGR rep either didn't know or didn't care about the new policy. Just a heads up for those wanting to get two little ones into a bedroom.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Thumbs down 3 Person in a Bedroom

Another Example of an AGR Agent making up "Rules" as they go! This is contradictory to AGR abd Amtrak Published Policy, glad you were able to call back and get an Agent that got it right! AGR Insider nedds to look into this and have AGR Managment put out a Memo or perhaps even hold Training Sessions for the Supervisor so this kind of stuff doesnt keep happening! With all the New Rules just put into Place and the ongoing clarifications that AGR Insider so kindly lets us know about on here, hopefully the Phone Agents will have the Latest Word and quit Winging it!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

So you believe (or perhaps know factually) that the first agent was incorrect? I am not an Amtrak regular so tend to be slightly more deferential than the airlines/hotels with which I have tremendous rule familiarity. The first agent went to great lengths that the "new rule" had just been put into effect and that they had just received a training on it.

Thanks for the insight.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by jimhudson
Another Example of an AGR Agent making up "Rules" as they go! This is contradictory to AGR abd Amtrak Published Policy, glad you were able to call back and get an Agent that got it right! AGR Insider nedds to look into this and have AGR Managment put out a Memo or perhaps even hold Training Sessions for the Supervisor so this kind of stuff doesnt keep happening! With all the New Rules just put into Place and the ongoing clarifications that AGR Insider so kindly lets us know about on here, hopefully the Phone Agents will have the Latest Word and quit Winging it!
Not true. The mistake was the agent finally allowing three in the room.

The new guideline posted by AGR Insider states this about room occupancy (bolding mine):
Sleeping car redemptions must follow the recommended capacity guidelines as published on Amtrak.com.
While the maximum permissible capacity of a Bedroom is 3, the recommended capacity is two. Yes, you can book three into a Bedroom with a paid reservation, but the new AGR guidelines now only permit two for an AGR redemption. The agent's original statement was correct.

Recommended Room capacities
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:25 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Not true. The mistake was the agent finally allowing three in the room.

The new guideline posted by AGR Insider states this about room occupancy (bolding mine):

While the maximum permissible capacity of a Bedroom is 3, the recommended capacity is two. Yes, you can book three into a Bedroom with a paid reservation, but the new AGR guidelines now only permit two for an AGR redemption. The agent's original statement was correct.

Recommended Room capacities
PHLviaUS is correct. The current award chart (allowing carriage of an additional passenger at no extra point cost) is already quite generous in this regard. This guideline existed previously, but was even less consistently enforced, hence the need for clarification, training, and inclusion on our Web site.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I understand the philosophy behind the change but there should be an option of a point or cash surcharge. In my particular example (and I obviously skated by), what were my options with two kids under 6? I would not have objected to having to pay for a coach ticket or a surcharge but think there should be at least some option.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
Thanks for the reply. I understand the philosophy behind the change but there should be an option of a point or cash surcharge. In my particular example (and I obviously skated by), what were my options with two kids under 6? I would not have objected to having to pay for a coach ticket or a surcharge but think there should be at least some option.
Family bedroom on a superliners route - would that be allowed as a bedroom redemption?

If so it seems kind of silly to not allow them in a regular bedroom - since they cost the same amount of points.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

I was told that the family bedroom was not an option. I've made a bit of an annual tradition of overnight train travel with my boys while my wife does a girls weekend across the pond. Seems like I've hit the end of tracks.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:19 pm

I was told that the family bedroom was not an option. I've made a bit of an annual tradition of overnight train travel with my boys while my wife does a girls weekend across the pond. Seems like I've hit the end of tracks.
Was it sold out in the family bedroom? Because the recommended capacity is 2 adults, 2 children so it should fit the new rules.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:02 am
Original Poster

I believe it is not considered a bedroom for redemption purposes. Plus, there is only one per car, right?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:02 am

I believe it is not considered a bedroom for redemption purposes. Plus, there is only one per car, right?
Incorrect, in the past it has always been considered a bedroom for redemption purposes. You are right that there is only one per car. I am not sure if the regulations starting July 1st means that one is no longer able to book the family bedroom for the bedroom rate.

It would be nice if AGR Insider would come back and clarify that for us.

Because if the family bedroom is still bookable for the bedroom rate, I find it absurd that you couldn't book an adult and two kids into the regular bedroom. I don't have aproblem with them limiting the bedroom redemption to two adults - but it would also be nice if one would be allowed to add a third adult for the price of the railfare. Or to add a second child for the price of 1/2 railfare.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Question 3 in a Bedroom

A thousand Pardons to the OP and to other members! We had gone through this not long ago on AU and it was permissible to have 3 in a Bedroom if you Called and the Agent gave the disclaimer about Space ina Bedroom etc.

I now see that as of July 1 (Surprise!) Amtrak/AGR has decided that it is still permissible when traveling on a Paid Ticket but NOT on an AGR Award! But when it comes to Children that surely a Policy Clarification needs to be made so that a Single Parent could travel with two Children on One Award since mixing and matching Paid/AGR Awards is not Allowed! !

AGR Insider, what say you??
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:24 am

After more than 5 years of saving up my points for a bedroom award for my family, now what?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:10 am

As someone who has also previously taken advantage of the parent plus two small kids in a bedroom redemption, you could always get two roomettes across the hall from one another, which is at most a 5k point surcharge compared to a single bedroom. There was definitely a convenience factor to being able to have both my kids in the same room, but that being said, it would also be nice to have the extra space of two roomettes so that the kids don't have to sleep in the same bed (combined with the fact that if I stick the kids in one of the roomettes, then I can use the other one by myself in the evening and don't have to feel like I have to go to sleep at the same time my kids do).

I'm not a fan of the reduced flexibility of the AGR points in this regards, but given the pricing of roomettes and bedrooms, the alternative isn't too terrible.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't connect, right? In other words, the roomette would work perfectly for slightly older kids, but I can't really leave a 4 and 6 year old alone in a roomette.

Also, and my inexperience with AGR is showing, but there aren't family bedrooms at all on east coast routes, right?

Thanks

Last edited by billycwhatup; Jul 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.