Search

BAL to NYP questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
BAL to NYP questions

Hi All.

My wife and I are travelling from BAL to NYP in November on a Tuesday morning, at 9.23 AM. the service is a N E Regional. we will have two large cases, please could someone advise,

1) Will the train be very crowded ?
2) How easy will it be to store the luggage
3) Do the trains run to schedule, as we are due in at 12.05 pm and need to be at the cruise ship for about 2pm

Any advice would be really appreciated
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by holodoc
Hi All.

My wife and I are travelling from BAL to NYP in November on a Tuesday morning, at 9.23 AM. the service is a N E Regional. we will have two large cases, please could someone advise,

1) Will the train be very crowded ?
Probably not. But if you are willing to pay the upcharge to Business class, you'll be in better shape. The Business car doesn't usually fill until Philly.
2) How easy will it be to store the luggage
Very easy. Plenty of overhead compartments, plus storage near the end of each car.
3) Do the trains run to schedule, as we are due in at 12.05 pm and need to be at the cruise ship for about 2pm
Yes, they do run to schedule, but that seems like it would be cutting it close.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Depending on how far you live from the train station you could check your baggage the day before. There are certain trains that will take checked baggage then you pick it up a Penn station.
That being said I would opt for the NE Regional that leaves at 8:08 AM and will get you to NYP in plenty of time to pick up your baggage and get to the terminal.
November (specially late) can bring ice and high winds that can play hell with the schedule.
Why be anxious on the first day of a cruise?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks bitburgr useful info
we have 3 hours to get from NYP to west 50th, so hopefully it should be ok.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
I've always taken the economy class Union Station in WDC and there's always room for luggage. Once you arrive at NY Penn Station, simply go upstairs and catch a taxi to take you to your port of embarkation. I would recommend to take an earlier train so you're not in a mad rush trying to get to your POE. There have been times when trains are delayed for various reasons. Good luck and travel safe!!!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Note that if it is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving then the train may be crowded...

Also regarding reaching on time: normally shouldn't be a problem because the trains are reasonably on time but there are occasional days when the whole system goes down due to storms, suicides, old equipment etc. The worst case is being stuck on the train in between stations for hours. I always strive to get to the cruise port a day before sailing for peace of mind...

Last edited by MrChu; Sep 8, 2012 at 10:57 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks bitburgr useful info
we have 3 hours to get from NYP to west 50th, so hopefully it should be ok.
3 hours should be plenty of time to get to your destination at West 50th but you'll be out of luck if there is a some type of irregular operation. I've been stuck on a train for over 2 hours after someone stepped in front of the train (the conductor would not say whether it was intentional or not) and over an hour when there was something wrong with a rail. If you take an earlier train, you can always grab lunch at Penn Station before catching a cab to your cruise ship. The cab line usually moves pretty quickly at Penn Station.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Any advice would be really appreciated
If you really need to be at the cruise ship at 2pm, then taking the 9:23 am train is not at all adviseable. That train begins in Richmond, VA, not D.C., and delays can mount on the Richmond - D.C. route. If you're looking to arrive about 2pm in order to be ready for a 5pm sailing, then no problem. However, if you're at risk of missing your cruise, I second the suggestion of taking the earlier Amtrak Regional train at 8:08 am.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Going for the 8.08 am, I will also check twitter for service problems before leaving.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would never ever never travel on the "day of" a cruise. Night before, spend the night in NYC and relax. If something goes wrong the night before, you can do almost anything else from driving to bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.