Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

1st time: Try to travel on Northeast Regional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold

Hi there,

I want to book a trip from NYC to WAS by train ^

The itinerary should be like this:
Thursday, January 19, 2012
185 Northeast Regional (NYP - WAS)

Depart: 8:10 am, Thu, Jan 19, 2012
Arrive: 11:29 am, Thu, Jan 19, 2012
Duration: 3 hr, 19 min

2 Reserved Coach Seats

---

Friday, January 20, 2012
94 Northeast Regional (WAS - NYP)

Depart: 2:02 pm, Fri, Jan 20, 2012
Arrive: 5:21 pm, Fri, Jan 20, 2012
Duration: 3 hr, 19 min

2 Reserved Coach Seats

My questions are:
- When do I get the seat selection? Does Amtrak assign seats or is it possible to make by my own after payment?
- I know that I doesn't get a luxury cabin for $49.00 oneway but is it comfortable for 3 hours?
- We will travel with 2 Rimowa-Cabin Trolleys: Can we take them to our seats?
- Should I book already now or wait? It is the only opportunity to travel at this time (hotels are already booked).

Thank you in advance!

(Hopefully I posted in the right sub-forum? )
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Hi,

To answer a few of your questions:

--There's no assigned seats so you can sit anywhere in coach.
--$49 is generally the lowest you'll find, I think. Regular coach is fine for this journey.
--I've never had a problem taking a full suitcase to my seat and placing it on the overhead rack.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:52 pm

With Amtrak, with very rare exception, the moment you know you want to take the trip, book the tickets. This is because Amtrak uses fare buckets and the fare only goes up at the train gets more crowded.

Amtrack opens ticketing about 11 months ahead, which makes long planned travel easier.

To your other questions: first come first served on seating, but if you are a couple and the conductor has proactive about reserving paired off seats, then you should be able to be together.

Luggage: if it's standard roll-aboard luggage, then it should easily fit in the rack over your head. Everything but the really big suitcases fit too.

Train seats are generally very comfortable and more importantly, roomier than the equivalent seats on a plane ride.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"We will travel with 2 Rimowa-Cabin Trolleys: Can we take them to our seats?"

Yes. But you also have the option of checking them from NYP to WAS free of charge. Although the Regional trains do not carry checked baggage, there are several daily trains that travel between NYP and WAS that do. Your bags would go on one of them, and you could pick them up at WAS in the afternoon or evening if you wanted to explore DC immediately upon your arrival, before checking in to your hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"We will travel with 2 Rimowa-Cabin Trolleys: Can we take them to our seats?"

Yes. But you also have the option of checking them from NYP to WAS free of charge. Although the Regional trains do not carry checked baggage, there are several daily trains that travel between NYP and WAS that do. Your bags would go on one of them, and you could pick them up at WAS in the afternoon or evening if you wanted to explore DC immediately upon your arrival, before checking in to your hotel.
Or send them the day before and they wil;l be there when you arrive secure too
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
FYI - Boarding is not like a european experience where you just head to the platform and board. You hang out upstairs and wait for the announcement of what track your train will use. Note that it can get crowded at peak times and during the holidays. Once the track number and side is announced (signs above the escaltor on either side of the hall), a queue will form at the respective stairway. They will check tickets before they let you down to the platform to board the train. Once on board, the conductor will take part of the ticket and give you back the stub for a receipt.

Note if you use a redcap, you will go down before the crush and he'll load the suitcases on the train for you. Don't forget to tip if you go that route.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

It's also possible to avoid the queue by taking the elevator or escalator down one level to the "transfer" concourse, and then taking an elevator or the stairs down to track level. There are also Amtrak monitors on the transfer concourse that display Amtrak train departure information, including track assignments.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold
Thanks to all your replies!

They're all very helpful So we just go down and take 2 seats in a coach-class coach?

We will take our 2 carry-ons with us because it is just one night in WAS.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:28 am

Yep. Once the track number is announced, you just somehow get yourself to the track (during which time you might get a bit jostled by the crowds if you wait in the normal queue, but that is probably easiest if you don't know your way around Penn Station), and then pick any free seats you want in coach. There will be a quiet car that counts as coach, if you prefer that atmosphere (no cell phone use, only quiet talking).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Hurley89
Thanks to all your replies!

They're all very helpful So we just go down and take 2 seats in a coach-class coach?

We will take our 2 carry-ons with us because it is just one night in WAS.
Yes. It's open seating.

If the suitcases don't fit overhead (those Rimowas look pretty big), there should be a place at the end of the car to store oversized luggage.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by owl49
Yep. Once the track number is announced, you just somehow get yourself to the track (during which time you might get a bit jostled by the crowds if you wait in the normal queue, but that is probably easiest if you don't know your way around Penn Station), and then pick any free seats you want in coach. There will be a quiet car that counts as coach, if you prefer that atmosphere (no cell phone use, only quiet talking).
More info on quiet car, even 'quiet talking' isn't always tolerated:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...etiquette.html
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:53 am

Also, in regards to booking in advance, be aware that if your travel plans change there is no fee to change your reservation (though you may need to pay a difference in fare).

If you elect to cancel the trip, you'd be entitled to either a 90% or 100% refund to the original form of payment, or under all circumstances you can put 100% into an e-voucher for credit on future travel within one year.

So, there's really no disadvantage to booking now if you think you'll want that train.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Hurley89
- I know that I doesn't get a luxury cabin for $49.00 oneway but is it comfortable for 3 hours?

(Hopefully I posted in the right sub-forum? )
Yup, you're in the right place. Welcome!

I find the Northeast Regional coach seats to be very comfortable and certainly not a problem for 3 hours. These seats are more spacious than 2nd class on most European trains. Any seat in any car except the first car, which is Business class.

There's a cafe car in the middle of the train with over a dozen tables. You can spend time here too if you feel the need for a change of scenery or are somehow unable to get seats together when you first board.

For a completely stress-free boarding experience, find a "Red Cap" (luggage attendant) who will cart your bags from the station lobby to the train and board you ahead of all the other passengers. The Red Cap will expect a tip, but it's well worth it if you have heavy luggage and want to grab good seats before the crowd rushes through the boarding gate.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:50 pm

I take this route once a year. Great and comfy way to get to DC!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:25 am
Original Poster

WOW! Flyertalker you're all great!!!

Thanks to all your helpful answers.

We travel with two small carry-ons ( Link: https://www.swiss-shop.com/swissshop...585/detail.jsf )

I bought the tickets yesterday and got an E-Mail with a Barcode... The journey to WAS starts on 19th January, is it possible to get the tickets already on 13th January on a Amtrak vending machine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.