Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental/United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:30 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)

Update on the AGR partnership with Continental

A new partnership with United Airlines is in the works! In the meantime, here’s an update on the Continental partnership:

Points to miles and miles to points transfers between AGR and Continental will end on December 31, 2011. If you plan to transfer Continental Onepass miles to AGR points or are eligible to redeem AGR points for miles, please do so prior to the deadline.

Select Plus members will have access to United Clubs (with their valid Select Plus member card) through February 2012. (We will continue to keep members informed as we finalize details for Club access beyond February.)

Through March 2012, members will be eligible to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points on Continental operated flights. And beginning in March, members will be able to earn points on United operated flights.

This information will be added to the Amtrak Guest Rewards website on Thursday. Check the website for future updates on the partnership.

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Thanks for the good info.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Thank you kindly for the update, Becky. ^

Does S+ United Club access still pertain solely to legacy Presidents Clubs through February 2012, or has that changed since last month to include legacy Red Carpet Clubs?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
What a fantastic use of social media! Again, AGR is to be commended for pre-announcing the details of the Continental partnership and its wind-down.

The most encouraging news here is confirmation that a new partnership with UA is in the works, backed by the ability to earn points on UA flights in March. Once OnePass goes away, hopefully the ability to transfer points and UA miles in both directions will be established.

Thank you again for the advance announcement and for pursuing what ought to be a win-win partnership.

P.S. If you're unable to negotiate continued access to the United Club, some sort of E+ benefit would be nice...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Amtrak Select Plus Now Denied Access to Many United Clubs

Thanks for the excellent news, Becky. It sounds like United Club access will continue (on some basis) under the merged airline. But, in the meantime, please be advised that Select Plus members are not being allowed into United Clubs that are former Red Carpet Clubs. Can Amtrak please work with United to provide uniform access to all United Clubs, and please keep us apprised of your progress here.

Many thanks...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Update on Continental Presidents Club access for Select Plus members

Originally Posted by Explore
Thanks for the excellent news, Becky. It sounds like United Club access will continue (on some basis) under the merged airline. But, in the meantime, please be advised that Select Plus members are not being allowed into United Clubs that are former Red Carpet Clubs. Can Amtrak please work with United to provide uniform access to all United Clubs, and please keep us apprised of your progress here.

Many thanks...
It's official now. I would print a copy of this email if a particular club is not properly informed:

Dear xxxx,

United ClubSM is the new name for the Continental Presidents Club® and the United Red Carpet Club®. Amtrak Guest Rewards® members will now enjoy access to the United Club through February 2012. Present your valid Select PlusSM card at the United Club for entry. The partnership between Amtrak Guest Rewards and United Club is still under development, and we will keep you informed as it is finalized in 2012.

In addition, a partnership between Amtrak Guest Rewards and United MileagePlus® is in the works. At this time, the only confirmed change to the Amtrak Guest Rewards program benefits will be the end of points-to-miles and miles-to-points transfers between programs. The option to convert Amtrak Guest Rewards points to Continental OnePass® miles and to convert Continental OnePass miles to Amtrak Guest Rewards points will end on December 31, 2011.

We will keep you informed as additional details are finalized for the new Amtrak Guest Rewards partnership with United MileagePlus.

As always, thank you for your continued loyalty.

Sincerely,

Michael Blakey
Senior Director, Loyalty Marketing & CRM
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:00 am

Well it's nice that we have been given advance notice of the changes. However the ending of the points transfer to UA has pretty much eliminated my only use for the gobs of points I earn on the Acela. Cross country sleeper trains do nt interest me, and there is only so much Acela travel I can redeem for. I really hate to "waste" points with 1% redemption value gift cards, etc.

How about lift or raise the cap until year end?!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I hope the points to UACO miles will be restored next year. It was great benefit as I have so many AGR points and I don't see myself using Amtrak for personal travel
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Well it's nice that we have been given advance notice of the changes. However the ending of the points transfer to UA has pretty much eliminated my only use for the gobs of points I earn on the Acela. Cross country sleeper trains do nt interest me, and there is only so much Acela travel I can redeem for. I really hate to "waste" points with 1% redemption value gift cards, etc.

I must of missed the part " However the ending of the points transfer to UA has pretty much eliminated my only use for the gobs of points I earn"

I read her post to say the "A new partnership with United Airlines is in the works"

Why don't we wait and see.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
MrChu, I also tend to have more AGR points than I can use on Amtrak itself. Another good use is to transfer to HHonors--I've done that quite a bit. In fact I only started using the CO transfer function this year after the CO-UA merger (I never fly CO, but started an account there once I could shift credit-card- or otherwise-non-flying-generated points to UA).

I am also hoping that S+ members will eventually get to use Red Carpet Clubs. I have no idea where the CO lounges are since I never fly them!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:32 am

I think Mike's e-mail was pretty clear - point transfers are gone:

"At this time, the only confirmed change to the Amtrak Guest Rewards program benefits will be the end of points-to-miles and miles-to-points transfers between programs."
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GfL
I think Mike's e-mail was pretty clear - point transfers are gone
They're not quite gone for CO yet, and the door is definitely left open for future transfers to UA if ongoing negotiations allow for it.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Select

Well you can still redeem your "gobs of points" for acela travel. Although I admit its not the best use of points at 10,500 for a one way FC redemption.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chix
It's official now. I would print a copy of this email if a particular club is not properly informed:
I plan on doing just that. Still, I certainly hope there has been a policy update on United's side, one that supersedes the October 1 internal United Club memo specifically stating that S+ members are not allowed access to former RCCs.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
One step at a time. At least it's clear now S+ can access all United Clubs for next 6 months.

Has anyone tried bringing in a guest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.