Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by redgoose
I am taking my daughter to celebrate a very special birthday in January and want to upgrade my acela r/t ticket on the NYP-BOS route. i don't have enough points to buy a pack of upgrade vouchers. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, etc. to help this Senior.
Thanks so much for our help.
Tried the TCC sub forum?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Tried the TCC sub forum?
The user is too "new" to post there. It requires a minimum post count.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Earned points based on travelled class of service: Unlike airlines frequent flyer programs, where you earned miles based on your purchased class of service, Amtrak will award points based on the upgraded class of service. This only makes a difference on Acela, where select city pairs earn 750 points for first vs. 500 points for business. You will earn 750 for an upgraded, select city-pair Acela ticket.
This appears to not be true anymore. Just 500 points for upgraded Acela service,
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:23 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
This appears to not be true anymore. Just 500 points for upgraded Acela service,
Correct - this changed 1/1/14.

Anthony
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
If you are using the Free Upgrade coupons, then yes one only gets 500 points as of January 1st.

However, if you are paying for the upgrade, then you still get 750 points.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I am looking for one class upgrade (from accela business to first). I don't want to buy a five pack since I don't have five accela trips scheduled. Is it possible to just purchase one with miles? I only see the option to purchase five.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:53 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by 100% Green
I am looking for one class upgrade (from accela business to first). I don't want to buy a five pack since I don't have five accela trips scheduled. Is it possible to just purchase one with miles? I only see the option to purchase five.
Sadly, no.

One can only get a 5 pack.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Not valid with most promotional discounts: The T&Cs state that only corporate discounts are valid with the upgrades. Since upgrade coupons require use of a H*** promotion code (asterisks are numbers, different each year), any discount that relies on a promotion code of the same form (X***, V***) will generally not qualify. Discounts that require advance purchase (NARP, AAA, Student Advantage, etc.) are unlikely to work since a reissue within 12 or 48 hours would kill the discount. It is unknown whether upgrade coupons are valid for deep-discount fares that aren't upgradeable at time of purchase, such as YE and YF coach fares (14-day NEC advance purchase, weekly specials, 3-day sales, and their ilk) and child and military tickets, which require no advance purchase. We suspect they won't work.
I'm trying to understand this a little bit better. I have 2 one-way tickets that were earned through the "Go Free Acela" promotion that are valid to be redeemed this Jul1 - Aug 31. Would these tickets be considered un-upgradable discounted tickets? Or are these treated differently since they're travel vouchers and not like the 10% AAA discount.

Another question, are the 8,000 point Acela Business Class tickets upgradable? Or are they treated considered discounted as well?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler
I'm trying to understand this a little bit better. I have 2 one-way tickets that were earned through the "Go Free Acela" promotion that are valid to be redeemed this Jul1 - Aug 31. Would these tickets be considered un-upgradable discounted tickets? Or are these treated differently since they're travel vouchers and not like the 10% AAA discount.

Another question, are the 8,000 point Acela Business Class tickets upgradable? Or are they treated considered discounted as well?
Award tickets are not upgradeable using the vouchers issued to Select + and Select Exec. members. This is printed on the upgrade vouchers. Therefore I doubt award tickets could be upgraded using any of the 5 pack of vouchers for a 10,000 point redemption. You could telephone AGR and ask for certain if you wish to do so.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:04 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler

Not only would the free upgrade coupons not work on those Go Free Acela tickets; but you cannot even use points or pay to upgrade those tix. Years ago you could do the latter two, pay or pay with points; but not anymore.

I do understand the pay with money, as ARROW simply can't properly handle a mixed reservation that includes both an AGR award and money. But I don't understand at all why one cannot use points for an upgrade. After all, when you redeem your vouchers, the system will credit your account with 8,000 points so that it can then issue the free ticket for you.

So why one can't call an AGR agent and say "Please take another 4,000 points from my account and add that to the 8,000 to get a first class ticket" remains a mystery to me.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used a Select Plus Companion Coupon to book my brother and I on an Acela train for next month. I'm wondering if I will also be able to use my upgrade coupons for him and me? I'm leaning towards no because I've used a "coupon" and the terms prohibit combining a upgrade with a coupon. Anyone know for sure?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:33 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by CMK10
I used a Select Plus Companion Coupon to book my brother and I on an Acela train for next month. I'm wondering if I will also be able to use my upgrade coupons for him and me? I'm leaning towards no because I've used a "coupon" and the terms prohibit combining a upgrade with a coupon. Anyone know for sure?
You could pay for the upgrade if you like. But otherwise you are correct, you cannot use a coupon on top of a coupon, as it were.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlanB
You could pay for the upgrade if you like. But otherwise you are correct, you cannot use a coupon on top of a coupon, as it were.
Ah too bad. We're only going BWI to PHL so I don't think that's worth paying for an upgrade. Oh well, lunch is planned at Reading Terminal Market anyway and I'm sure that'll be better than whatever was served on the train.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:57 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by CMK10
Ah too bad. We're only going BWI to PHL so I don't think that's worth paying for an upgrade. Oh well, lunch is planned at Reading Terminal Market anyway and I'm sure that'll be better than whatever was served on the train.
Just in case you're not already aware; your Amtrak ticket is good for passage on he SEPTA Commuter trains between 30th Street and the Market East stop. It's unlikely that you'll even get asked, but if you do just show your Amtrak ticket to the SEPTA conductor.

Makes for a nice, quick, and easy ride between 30th and the Reading Terminal right across the street from Market East.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by AlanB
Just in case you're not already aware; your Amtrak ticket is good for passage on he SEPTA Commuter trains between 30th Street and the Market East stop. It's unlikely that you'll even get asked, but if you do just show your Amtrak ticket to the SEPTA conductor.

Makes for a nice, quick, and easy ride between 30th and the Reading Terminal right across the street from Market East.
I actually really appreciate that because we're staying at Le Meridien and I was wondering if I should walk the mile or take the subway but you just answered that question!

The next morning we're taking the Keystone PHL-NYP, I assume we can do the revere with SEPTA from Market East to 30th Street and if asked, show that ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.