Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does amtrak do anything if you complain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does amtrak do anything if you complain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Rittenhousesq,

I haven't been on a Regional north of NYP in a long time, so I honestly cannot speak to what is or isn't happening on them. On my last Acela trip, there was indeed someone freshening things up.

I've not heard that the program has been discontinued for the Regionals, and seeing as how last I knew Mr. Fremaux was working on trying to get the onboard crews to do a better job of cleaning things on the LD's, I'd be surprised that he'd let the Regional program go down in flames.

But then it's always possible that he couldn't force things past the bean counters.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I complained the day after I came back in an email. Received a canned response saying something to the effect like due to a large volume of email I would hear back in about a month.

This was the end of june and have heard NOTHING since. I wonder if the customer service department thought it was a joke (in all honesty I would question it since that was an unusual thing to happen, or at least I think it was) but it seems like if they looked up the train number there would have been some type of report issued by an EE on what happened.

I don't have any kind of status on amtrak though and that wa sthe first time in years I have taken a train of theirs so maybe that has something to do with it as welel.

Being a frequent traveller on Via Rail, amtrak has a lot of room for improvement compared to canadas train system.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:58 pm

I've read a LOT of complaints about Amtrak, most of which were about problems that could have been avoided. Here's my Top 10 List for traveling Amtrak:

1) Don't board the train with a chip on your shoulder. It is YOUR attitude that dictates how you are treated by the Amtrak staff and fellow passengers. Boarding the train with an attitude of, "Hello, Amtrak. What can I to make your job easier today?" goes a LONG way toward making your travel experience more enjoyable for everyone.

2) The train is often off-schedule, and almost all of the time it is due to circumstances beyond Amtrak's control. Yes, there are occasional mechanical "opportunities," but you have those with your own home, car, computer, workplace, etc. Many of the time delays are the result of infrastructure, maintenance, and rail use conflicts. There are occasional personal passenger issues (i.e., medical, safety, etc.) that can cause major delays. Sometimes delays are caused by hostile passengers that require unscheduled stops (sometimes in the middle of nowhere) so local, state, and federal law enforcement can assist Amtrak in adjusting their personal travel schedule. Occasionally some idiot feels it necessary to attempt to (unsuccessfully) beat a train to a crossing, bringing ALL rail traffic to a grinding halt until the mess can be cleaned up and the tracks repaired. Amtrak cannot control washed out bridges, floods, extreme weather, etc. Getting hostile with the dining car staff because you're behind schedule will NOT make the train move faster. There's a dude up in the engine that has his hand on the throttle lever, and he is in radio contact with a dispatcher who is facilitating all of the rail traffic in the area. It is not his responsibility --- nor does he have time --- to inform you of why he is doing what he is doing.

3) Almost all Amtrak employees are human beings. They react to you the way most humans react to you. If you act like you think you are royalty, they may not accommodate your self-elevated status quickly enough to satisfy you. If you act like you perceive them as your personal lowly servants, they may not immediately assume that lowly state in an appropriately humble way to satisfy you. Do not expect them to genuflect in your presence, or kiss any part of your anatomy in adoration, awe, or reverence.

4) Remember that you are sharing space on a public conveyance with others, many of whom think that THEY are God's gift to the human race. The Amtrak employees (as well as your fellow passengers) are reacting to them (and you) in predictable ways. You may not be fully aware of all of the situations your Amtrak employees are dealing with at any given point in time. Let them do their job without creating yet another issue for them to deal with.

5) Not all Amtrak staff members are fully aware of all of the factors influencing your progression down the tracks at any given point in time. It is not their responsibility to interrupt their duties to become fully aware of why your train is traveling at the speed it is (or is stopped "in the middle of nowhere") just to satisfy your curiosity. Relax. Chances are you and the train will probably arrive at about the same time.

6) Use the seat(s) reserved for you --- and ONLY the seat(s) reserved for you --- unless you make specific adjustments with the Conductor. Be considerate of your fellow travelers and not slop your junk (and audio) over into adjacent seats and public spaces. Just because that seat next to you is empty right now, there is no guarantee that it will remain unoccupied past the next station. The Conductor may or may not know if that seat is sold further down the line.

7) It is NOT the responsibility of any Amtrak employee to make sure you detrain at the proper location. Amtrak can only do so much to protect you from your own stupidity, inattention, inadequate planning, and ignorance.

8) Be tolerant of your fellow passengers as well as the Amtrak staff. You do NOT know what internal and external issues and distractions have been impacting their lives for the past 24 hours.

9) If you are the 25th person to tell an Amtrak employee about what you perceive as a problem --- especially if it is something obvious and/or something he/she is powerless to correct --- you may not get the passionately sensitive, genuinely sympathetic response you think you deserve.

10) Remember that Amtrak's sole purpose for existence is to get you from point "A" to point "B" as quickly and safely as possible. The emphasis is on "safely." They probably did not know all of the parameters and circumstances of your specific trip when they published the schedule. Deal with it. Stuff happens. Train delays probably will not cause the world to come to an end. When you perceive an earth-shattering disruption in your travel plans, ask yourself, "Will any of this really matter 5 years from now?"
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by NASchell
<snip>

3) Almost all Amtrak employees are human beings. <snip>
Almost all?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
NASchell -- Are you now or have you ever been employed by Amtrak? Just trying to make some assessments about your missive.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow
NASchell -- Are you now or have you ever been employed by Amtrak? Just trying to make some assessments about your missive.
There are several themes throughout that post that certainly suggest so!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Almost all?
"Julie" being the notable exception.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
"Julie" being the notable exception.
Mmmmm, not really. I personally know the REAL Julie, and I can assure you she's a human being! And a wonderful one!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by NASchell
7) It is NOT the responsibility of any Amtrak employee to make sure you detrain at the proper location. Amtrak can only do so much to protect you from your own stupidity, inattention, inadequate planning, and ignorance.
I've got to disagree with this one; at least in part. Yes, on the NEC and on State sponsored trains this is correct.

But on long distance trains the crew is supposed to ensure that those getting off at a stop do so. This is especially true in a sleeper; but even in coach the attendants are supposed to warn people, and if needed wake them up at night, prior to their stop.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AlanB
But on long distance trains the crew is supposed to ensure that those getting off at a stop do so. This is especially true in a sleeper; but even in coach the attendants are supposed to warn people, and if needed wake them up at night, prior to their stop.
I experienced those efforts just a couple of weeks ago on a (late operating) Coast Starlight. The conductor announced that middle-of-the-night stops would not be announced (so as not to disrupt sleeping thru passengers) and that coach riders should be in their assigned seats to receive nudging from attendants to depart the train.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Assertive Bunch on board...

Guess they do not know this is a Union Train...and Seniority rules.

The monkeys are in charge of the jungle,

They call it public transportation for a reason...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Disappointing. Not Surprising.

Though a few common sense points were made, I find NASchell's soliloquy to be condescending and insulting to my intelligence. I can only assume s/he is an OBS employee at Amtrak.

As a frequent Western LDT customer, my advice to NASchell is simple and direct: Don't speak to passengers with condescension and self-righteousness. Quite a few of us know exactly what levers to pull at 60 Mass to put an end to such boorish employee behavior. Keep it off the trains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.