Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX denies Car Rental Coverage when Rental Company Coupon Applied

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (2x Concorde-ian),AA EXP; HHonors Diamond,Marriott Plat,Starwood Plat

AMEX is denying a rental car damage claim for the following reason:

"How To Activate Coverage
Coverage for theft of or damage to a Rental Auto is activated when the Cardmember:
Uses the Card to pay for the entire auto rental from the Rental Company at the time of vehicle return;

Consequently, we must respectfully deny any claim you may be considering in this matter."

The method of payment for the rental car was AMEX Platinum card. An AMEX supervisor explained to me that the card was used to pay for taxes only, and that Hertz coupon was applied towards the rental, which constituted (according to the supervisor interpreting the Description of Coverage contract) a different method of payment. Furthermore, the supervisor advised that AMEX Customer Service is open 24/7 and if in doubt, a prospective renter should contact AMEX prior to rental to investigate whether insurance plan coverage would apply.

Here's what the Description of Coverage (sent by AMEX) states:

How To Activate Coverage:

Coverage for theft of a or damage to a Rental Auto is activated when the Cardmember:

1a. presents his or her eligible Card to the Rental Company to reserve the Rental Auto, by making a reservation; or by placing a hold or deposit at the time the Rental Auto is checked out;
1b. declines the full Collision Damage Waiver or similar option (CDW), or pays for a partial collision damage waiver, offered by the Rental Company;
1c. is the primary renter, which is defined as the Cardmember, who is named on the written agreement with the Rental Company as the person renting and taking control and possession of the Rental Auto (Primary Renter); and
1d. uses the card to pay for the entire auto rental from the Rental Company at the time of vehicle return;

Or,

2a. presents a Membership Rewards redemption certificate, and
2b. uses a Membership Rewards redemption certificate at a participating Commercial Car Rental Company.

Which leads me to believe that even if 1a, 1b, and 1c are met during rental car reservation and pick-up, if the rental company applies any kind of dollars-off coupon at time of return prior to paying for rental with an AMEX card providing the Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance Plan, the insurance is automatically invalidated and the renter is screwed in case of a subsequent claim when relying solemnly on the AMEX Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance Plan.

Along the same lines, AMEX could be denying any type of coverage (lost-baggage claim, life, warranty, etc.) if a discount was applied towards the full purchase price of any goods or services.

Any class-action lawyers on the board?

-sp

Last edited by mia; Mar 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That sounds quite weaselly. I'd try to get an ombudsman to look into this.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards, AmEx Platinum, AmEx Green, SPG Gold
Rental coverage

This is really odd, I had my Jeep totalled and Geico got me a rental car from Enterprise and paid $30/day so I ended up paying $7/day on AmEx Platinum, Enterprise said there was a scratch so I filed a claim with AmEx and they covered the whole thing even though I didn't pay for the whole rental charge on the card and Geico paid most of it, AmEx paid $534 I remember, it was nice of course not to worry about a scratch in the rental car

Last edited by Pizzaman; Aug 24, 2009 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:13 pm

I have always wondered about this.

So you put the reservation on your card and you go to return it and you dont wreck you pay cash.... if you wreck you just put on your amex??

I always put on my amex anyway but this is strange...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by solarprobe
AMEX Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance Plan.
As implied by the name, this is an actual insurance product. That is, it's regulated by the Insurance Commissioner of your state (or perhaps some other state). Find out who the regulatory authority is, and take the matter up with them.

Any class-action lawyers on the board?
Is there any problem left in America that can't be solved by immediately filing a class-action lawsuit?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I find this odd as well. Amex paid my claim for a new windshield on an Avis car when some local hoodlum threw a basketball through it. It was in the neighborhood of $600, and I had used a $off coupon on the rental. They didn't bat an eyelash...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion from 2006...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...+rental+coupon

Discussion from May - July, 2009...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...+rental+coupon
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (2x Concorde-ian),AA EXP; HHonors Diamond,Marriott Plat,Starwood Plat
Thanks, I was about to cross-reference one of the threads you posted. Didn't find them, earlier enough

-sp.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Warning about AMEX Rental Car Protection

Just had an interesting conversation with AMEX Rental Car Protection and wanted to give everyone a warning about what I was told.

As is clearly stated in the terms and conditions, you must reserve and fully pay for the car rental with your American Express Card in order to be covered. This condition, I was aware of and have always been very careful to ensure my rentals are set up in this way.

What I was not aware of, is that if you use any Coupons (National Free Days, Avis Free Weekends, Coupon Codes you find on the Internet, etc) and the value of that coupon exceeds more than the cost of one rental day, you ARE NOT Covered by the AMEX Rental Car Protection, and your claim will be denied if you file.

For us frequent renters that have piles of free days and free coupons available, this is quite disappointing since any protection that you think you may have by paying with your AMEX goes out the window once you apply coupons valued at more than one free day to a car rental.

Just thought I would make everyone aware so you don't get caught without coverage when you need it most.

Please note: that the information and conversation I had was given in reference to the 'Standard' Protection and not the 'Premium' Protection. Does anyone know if the Premium protection would cover you in a situation like this?
Old May 13, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-coverage.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-rentals.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-coverage.html
Old May 13, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Ahh.. Sorry about that, I guess I should have searched first. But I guess I'm not the only one disappointed with the way AMEX handles these insurance claims. I for one will be looking for a better way to protect myself in the future (and diverting my spending elsewhere) as I use National Free day coupons quite regularly.

Too bad I can't get a Diner's Club card
Old May 13, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta Community Credit Union Visa.

https://www.deltacommunitycu.com/Per...enter/visa.asp

Do I need additional accident insurance when renting a car with my Delta Community CU Visa?

You will not need to obtain additional accident insurance when renting a car (worldwide) with the Delta Community CU Visa. Delta Community Credit Union provides primary car rental insurance for all Visa Consumer Credit Card products as long the cardholder refuses insurance by the car rental company. The coverage consists of reimbursement for repair or replacement of the rented vehicle as a result of damage or loss. Reimbursement is based on the actual cash value up to a maximum of $25,000.00.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, Starwood, Avis
Aren't most people covered under their regular auto insurance anyways?
Old May 14, 2010, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigsean
Aren't most people covered under their regular auto insurance anyways?
If you own a car.

If you do own a car, with primary card car rental coverage, there's no deductible. Everyone gravitates to the rental car being totaled when you have a claim. A $3,000 fender bender or other minor damage claim is much more common.

Given the state of the auto insurance industry right now, keeping a claim off your car insurance books is always nice too.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
That is a SCUMBAG move..I was shocked to find that the rental car insurance paid only $500 when I had an accident (cost of the deductable) you better buy that car rental insurance when offered..live and learn..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.