Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & PayPal payment question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Amex & PayPal payment question

So a while back Eliot Spitzer forced Amex to treat purchases via Amex funded Paypal transactions as if they were a direct credit card transaction.

I am considering buying something on eBay, and was wondering if Return Protection is still valid when doing this? I am assuming no, but has anybody tried?

Last edited by lessthanzero; Jul 8, 2009 at 10:03 am Reason: adding email subscription for responses
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:03 pm

I do not know what you mean by Amex funded PayPal transaction, but I use my Amex Platinum card all the time to pay for Ebay items via PayPal. I have filed several claims in a past few years and had no problem with my return protection claims.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:45 pm

Same here, I've had no problems filing a claim through AMX when I bought an item off ebay using paypal with my AMX.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by sweeedfish
Same here, I've had no problems filing a claim through AMX when I bought an item off ebay using paypal with my AMX.
+1 although YMMV
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Thanks all. This gives me hope.

By "amex funded paypal transaction" I mean that usually these people take payments by PayPal, and I get taken to the PayPal interface. Which means that I log in to PayPal, and I choose my amex card as the funding source, rather than my bank.

The icon they show for payments accepted is below:

Are you all saying that all ebay auctions now allow direct payment with a credit card without messing with payal accounts? (that would be great! I just don't buy much on eBay, so I don't know.)

I appreciate all your input!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by lessthanzero

Are you all saying that all ebay auctions now allow direct payment with a credit card without messing with payal accounts? (that would be great! I just don't buy much on eBay, so I don't know.)

I appreciate all your input!
I use PayPal interface to pay for my Ebay transactions using my Amex card.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I use PayPal interface to pay for my Ebay transactions using my Amex card.
TAHKUCT,

Do you do this without having to log in to Paypal, and do you know if this is standard for all eBay transactions?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
TAHKUCT,

Do you do this without having to log in to Paypal, and do you know if this is standard for all eBay transactions?
I use my PayPal account to pay using my Amex.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Great. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
I've used the search to find the answer to my question, so apologies in advance if I missed it....

Do you earn Membership Rewards points when you pay for an Ebay item via PayPal using an AMEX card?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by BEAV
I've used the search to find the answer to my question, so apologies in advance if I missed it....

Do you earn Membership Rewards points when you pay for an Ebay item via PayPal using an AMEX card?
It is like any other transaction using your Amex Card. So if your card earns MR points for spending, then you would earn MR points on a PayPal transaction.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
It is like any other transaction using your Amex Card. So if your card earns MR points for spending, then you would earn MR points on a PayPal transaction.
Thanks for the answer and quick reply.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:37 pm

So to sum up -

1. Ebay takes PayPal payments (not direct Amex payments, unless the seller specifies THEY take Amex).

2. PayPal accepts Amex as payment through their interface (that is, through PayPal).

3. All standard Amex protections apply (card specific), including Return Protection.

4. Like all Amex transactions, if you're using a card that would ordinarily earn you Membership Rewards Points - you will earn points for your eBay/PayPal transactions.

BTW - as a longtime eBay seller, PayPal user, and Amex cardholder - I can, with absolute certainty, say that these maxims are true (and have ALWAYS been true). Also, I have invoked several of our wonderful Amex benefit protections from purchases on eBay, and using PayPal, such as Return Protection, Purchase Protection, etc - and have been very satisfied with the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.