Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airport lounge access w/ Platinum card, including Delta & Centurion [2009-2014].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maradori
This thread is for discussion of lounges accessed by presenting the Platinum Card.

Click HERE for discussion of the separate Priority Pass benefit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All American Express Centurion and Platinum cards provide access to:

• Delta SkyClubs when flying DL.
  • Airspace lounges when flying any airline. (Currently BWI, CLE, JFK-T5, SAN)
  • AMEX Centurion Lounges when flying any airline. (Please do not use this thread to post about individual Centurion clubs. Use the dedicated thread for each location.)
Current international locations: EZE, CGH, GDL, GIG, GRU, MEX, MTY
Current USA locations: LGA, LAS, DFW, and SFO.
Future USA locations: , MIA
Access to AA and US lounges has ended as of March 22, 2014. Please click HERE to discuss in a dedicated thread.

Cards issued in USA also include:

• Priority Pass Select which includes AS lounges, hundreds of independent lounges, but specifically excludes all UA lounges. The Wikipost of the primary Priority Pass thread includes a list of the two dozen Priority Pass lounges located in the USA.
  • $200 Airline Fee Credit which can be used to partially reimburse the cost of an airline club membership.

Cards issued outside the USA include:

• Full Priority Pass which includes AS and UA lounges, hundreds of independent lounges, but there is no $200 Airline Fee Credit.
  • Access to other lounges or networks which vary by country.

Airspace lounge access includes spouse and children under age 21, or up to two traveling companions, at no cost.
DL will no longer accept guests at no charge. Discussion here: Delta Skyclub-- no more free guest
In general, Priority Pass access includes only the cardholder. Guests are $27 each per visit.
Print Wikipost

Airport lounge access w/ Platinum card, including Delta & Centurion [2009-2014].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AC, SPG, Amex Plat
Sorry to hijack this thread, but have a return trip YYZ->NRT-> HKG, HKG->NRT->YYZ

Will my Canadian Amex Plat get me into the lounge at NRT or HKG? Will be flying with ANA and Air Canada.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ucsbgrad86
I have a flight SFO to CDG booked with CO but flying on AF. Can I access the CO Lounge in SFO with my US AMEX Platinum card?

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
The T&C state that you must be flying CO with a CO ticket. However, I think you have a high chance getting in as long as your ticket is on CO stock.
I disagree. Just having a CO ticket number won't help, as the OP will be checking in with AF and have an AF BP. That won't pass muster with the PC agent.

Originally Posted by CyberFunk
Sorry to hijack this thread, but have a return trip YYZ->NRT-> HKG, HKG->NRT->YYZ

Will my Canadian Amex Plat get me into the lounge at NRT or HKG? Will be flying with ANA and Air Canada.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! No, you will not be able to gain access to any lounges based on that itinerary.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:39 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by sbm12
I know that they allow guests to enter; I just hadn't seen a free guest option for those or any other lounges.

Do you know which of the three membership levels this is? None of the three described on the PPass web page indicate an option for free guest access.
This complimentary PP guest benefit is something that Citi Chairman offers to their cardholders and is evidently something they worked out with Priority Pass, so it is really not a membership level offered to the public.

Technically, what the Citi Chairman card currently offers cardholders is the equivalent to Priority Pass Prestige (i.e. unlimited PP entries) PLUS the ability to take up to 2 guests per visit into lounges (without paying the $24 per person guest entrance fee). This is not a benefit that can currently be obtained through Priority Pass, only through the card membership. (Currently I have the Citi Chairman Master Card-- I assume they offer this with the Citi Chairman AMEX, but I don't know whether that card has a different benefit package. I can't remember exactly what the Citi Chairman MC annual fee is, somthing like $400-$500 annually.) When I hear others on here talk about Ameritrade's card with PP access, it would make me curious whether they also have negotiated free guest access-- at the post's stated annual fee of $150 for the Ameritrade card and statement that she has never paid for PP guests, that would be an even better value than Chairman's and would almost fit into the category of one of those legitimate gem of a deals that is too good to be true! Or if that is not the case, the post may have received free guest access through some Ameritrade/PP problem in reconciling accounting.

As an aside-- the Priority Pass is naturally a great way to round out lounge membership. As you may know airlines such as NW/DL/CO seem to be heavily networked with PP (although that is less important to AMEX Plat cardholders, because they have that benefit anyway.) Other Airlines such as UA don't provide PP access to lounges at their hubs (likely so they don't devalue their own memberships) but still provide access in other locations (in UA's case other locations including SFO and DCA, but not ORD, IAD or LAX). Internationally, the PP card consistently provides me access at airports where I have no other means of using a club or where my elite flyer club access is ten miles from my departure gate, while PP has an affiliate club just steps away (for example, flying Alitalia out of Milan can be a major problem without PP as Alitalia has some flight gates in a terminal that is separate from where their club is located.) Recently I took a flight out of London-Luton, a new UK hub for discount carriers. I don't think there is a single airline serving that airport that even operates a business class cabin, yet the airport operates a nice PP affiliate lounge to use.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Mar 10, 2009 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by sbm12
Officially the access is for US/Canada-issued cards. In reality other countries probably would work, but no guarantees. That being said, most other countries issue a Priority Pass membership for platinum cards, and that PPass definitely gets you in to the same lounges that the US-based AX Plat does. So that may help you out.
Regarding access to U.S. NW/DL/CO/AA lounges, I think the line is starting to blur between U.S.-issued and foreign issued AMEX cards. Some international sites available to cardholders through log-on, such as the ICC site, are starting now to advertise this lounge access as a benefit for their cardholders (in addition to Priority Pass). Now that this has started, I can't imagine any lounge dragon who would reasonably be able to differentiate who is entitled to access, if access is truly differentiated among countries-- i.e. to say that yes, you U.S. and ICC cardholder have access and no you cardholder from country x and y don't. I can't imagine how anybody could reasonably drop to that level of detail, particularly as likely 99% of the AMEX cards used for access to the U.S. lounges are probably U.S. issued.

I suppose it's still reasonable to say that foreign cardholders are not guaranteed access unless their country's AMEX issuer advertises this feature as a card benefit. I know a number of foreign-issued Plat cardholders who use this benefit on travel to the U.S. and I at least have never heard of anyone being turned away from one of the lounges for being a foreign cardholder.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: AA-PLT, DL-SLV, JL-SAPPHIRE, Hyatt Diamond, *wood Gold
Lounge Access Upon Arrival???

Does anyone here have experience gaining access to AA's Admirals Club, using AMEX Platinum, upon arrival? In my case, I will be flying from SFO to JFK on a red-eye AA flight and connecting to AF flight bound for CDG. Since this will be over 10 hours of layover in JFK, I am hoping that I can enter Admirals Club using my AMEX Platinum card, but I am going to have only a boarding pass for the AA flight that just arrived; not a boarding pass for a departing AA flight. Under this circumstance, do you think I can get access to Admirals Club?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tsuruke
Does anyone here have experience gaining access to AA's Admirals Club, using AMEX Platinum, upon arrival? In my case, I will be flying from SFO to JFK on a red-eye AA flight and connecting to AF flight bound for CDG. Since this will be over 10 hours of layover in JFK, I am hoping that I can enter Admirals Club using my AMEX Platinum card, but I am going to have only a boarding pass for the AA flight that just arrived; not a boarding pass for a departing AA flight. Under this circumstance, do you think I can get access to Admirals Club?
Yes.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:29 am

You should not have any problem, even though I can only confirm for CO lounges that I have access many time upon arrival.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH, Marriott
Every once in a while you will get a someone at the CO counter to decline this entry. I don't recall seeing somewhere that clarifies whether a used same day boarding pass isn't valid with your plat card in order to enter. You can always quickly purchase a refundable ticket for a few hours from then and cancel it if needed.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:31 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I have all UA operated but all CO flight numbers. My assumption is that I cannot use the PC lounge

However, if I threw in a leg that was CO and it was all "same day", then wouldnt i get access?

I figure thats why I got the skyguide exec priv club...for the lounge passes.

Thanks,:-:
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I have all UA operated but all CO flight numbers. My assumption is that I cannot use the PC lounge

However, if I threw in a leg that was CO and it was all "same day", then wouldnt i get access?

As long as your boarding passes are printed on CO stock, you will not have any problems accessing PC lounge. I have not done it myself, but you can probably go to CO kiosk and print your boarding passes there instead of UA.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
So if I have flights on UA out of EWR upcoming and print the BPs on CO stock, you think i would be able to access the PC?

Interesting idea....

I wonder if that would work on my stop at SFO too....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
So if I have flights on UA out of EWR upcoming and print the BPs on CO stock, you think i would be able to access the PC?

Interesting idea....

Yes
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion

Interesting idea....

If I am not mistaken, the Amex lounge agreement for DL and CO precipitates flying on their metal too.
The agreement with AA allows you to fly any metal (even code-share) as long as the BP is from AA.

I have been denied access to the CO lounge in LAX with a BP from CO and a flight number with CO, but the metal was "operated by" DL (before CO left skyteam). So I would hesitate to assume that a UA flight on UA metal would get you access to a CO lounge just because the paper BP was printed in a CO terminal.

YMMV
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by patchan8984

You would get access at either end of the ONE segment that is CO operated. You would not get access based on the other BPs.

Interesting idea....

No and no.

First, you won't get UA BPs printed on CO stock most of the time. Second, the UA gates at EWR are in a different security area than any of the CO PCs. And, finally, the rule is based on the operating metal, not the stock that the BP is printed on. You might get lucky at some point but I absolutely wouldn't bet on it. The CO agents are generally very good about correctly applying the rules.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AMEX
AMERICAN AIRLINE ticket, but Continental Lounge

I'm taking a flight to Vegas from Regan, D.C
w/ AA

In D.C there is a AA lounge, but on the way back the only lounge is Continental...
Anyone had luck with the AMEX platinum with AA tickets going into continental?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.