Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fact or Fiction, centurion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Fact or Fiction, centurion

Is the centurion card too thick to swipe at stores,gas stations, and HAS to be entered manually? If so, is this why people carry the extra platinum, to avoid situations?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by pepemaui
Is the centurion card too thick to swipe at stores,gas stations, and HAS to be entered manually? If so, is this why people carry the extra platinum, to avoid situations?
Fiction.

Personally, I avoid putting in machines that ingest the card and spit it back out, but that's just my paranoia. Mrs. Aviatiors99 does it all the time.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by pepemaui
I've never had a problem with this. I've used it at gas stations, ATMs, etc. without incident. I'm also fine with putting it in a machine that ingests the card and haven't ever had a problem with it.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
It's a myth that the card is thicker. It absolutely is not. I've measured it with a caliper.

I once had a problem with a parking lot machine that ate my card and couldn't spit it out, but I've used the same style of machine 30x+ since, and have never had a problem.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by jgsx
It's a myth that the card is thicker. It absolutely is not. I've measured it with a caliper.

I once had a problem with a parking lot machine that ate my card and couldn't spit it out, but I've used the same style of machine 30x+ since, and have never had a problem.
i had the same problem once, at self-serve checkout parking garage. kinda embarassing to get the attendant to come and take the card out, while there are ten people waiting in line giving you the dirty look. since then, i don't use it in any machines that takes and spits out.

-hchon
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by hchon
i had the same problem once, at self-serve checkout parking garage. kinda embarassing to get the attendant to come and take the card out, while there are ten people waiting in line giving you the dirty look. since then, i don't use it in any machines that takes and spits out.

-hchon
Ha! I had the same thing happen to me at those garages down in Miami. I'll pay the $4 or $8 in cash now when I go down.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by hchon

-hchon
Had a horrible experience like that at the parking lot at EWR.

Also, a number of times in Chip + Pin machines in Europe. FYI, it is DEFINITELY thicker, at least when you factor in the thick embossing.

It is a nuisance, and I have complained incessantly.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Had a horrible experience like that at the parking lot at EWR.

Also, a number of times in Chip + Pin machines in Europe. FYI, it is DEFINITELY thicker, at least when you factor in the thick embossing.

It is a nuisance, and I have complained incessantly.
i wonder if it has anything to do with the weight rather than the thickness. has anyone weighted them to see how much heavier these cards are?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:14 pm

I do carry another cards for those problems.
It happened several times that machines did not recognize the Ti card.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:18 pm

the card feel thicker, because it's heavy and hard. But I compared it to my other Amex cards and I can't see a real difference (where is the magnetic strip).
There ARE indeed cases where the card is not read correctly and has to be swiped twice or more. I don't think it's due to it's thickness.
I guess it's due to the sensitivity of some readers, maybe the magnetization level of the stripe is different than usual.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. This was actually a "concern" of the mrs. I let her know its all OK, and we can now rest!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:48 am

Although I did use a micrometer caliper the first United States Titanium cards made by First Data for American Express had a bevel edge and a slope you could feel with your finger. I think the more recent cards are thinner and flat across the entire surface but the slope you could feel on the early card definitely not there anymore.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:29 am

Programs: LX Sen, EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Sirius Gold, BA Gold
This has happened to me several times in Switzerland, and again on Saturday (Migros) where the TI card was not recognized in several "card readers". It actually got stuck in one of them and a staff member had to pry it out with a pair of scissors. So yes I do carry another card with me just in case!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA 9 Million Miler, UA 1K, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Amex Centurion
The card is thicker, but it does swipe. You can feel the resistance. I personally use my Visa card at machines that eat the card temporarily (parking garages).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It's been my experience that some machines have problems, but the majority don't.

Just today at the car wash the attendant had to manually enter the number and said that their reader does that on all the black cards they get.

(there are quite a few in our area)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.