Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass question (UK Amex plat warning!)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue
Exclamation Priority Pass question (UK Amex plat warning!)

In the priority pass booklet, it lists some lounges where immediate family can also enter (presumably for free, since otherwise all visits can include guests for a fee). Would the Amex-issued PP be any different (would normally charge 15UKP per guest)?

Does anyone know the answer/ have practical experience of this issue?

thanks,

tb
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by trueblu
In the priority pass booklet, it lists some lounges where immediate family can also enter (presumably for free, since otherwise all visits can include guests for a fee). Would the Amex-issued PP be any different (would normally charge 15UKP per guest)?

Does anyone know the answer/ have practical experience of this issue
Priority Pass issued through Amex is just ordinary Priority Pass Prestige - in the lounge they do not know how you got it. If the lounge allows you to bring guests without a charge then it applies to you as well as other Priority Pass members.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:43 pm

Are you 100% sure? If the clerk keys in 1 person and 1 guest, it might not designate the guest as free.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by gerald5
Are you 100% sure? If the clerk keys in 1 person and 1 guest, it might not designate the guest as free.
In that case you would in the lounge, which doesn't allow free guests. OP was asking about those lounges, which would be allowing immediate family members free of charge, in that case you of course would need to make sure that lounge doesn't key guests as in that case Priority Pass would be charging you (because lounge would be charging them for the guests).

Most of the lounges I have been in allow children free of charge with the Priority Pass but I haven't yet seen those, which allow adults. But then again, I haven't visited all of the 500 lounges yet.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Two I had in mind were the RCC in BOS and the Delta CR, again in BOS.

The brochure entry says: "All immediate family members can enter a RCC with the member, but the number of persons who are not immediate family will be limited to 2", and "Spouse and children under 21 years of age or up to 2 business associates can enter a Delta CR with the member".

On second reading: doesn't say whether they can enter free, but since I know that I can have guests normally for a fee in a lounge, and most other lounge entries don't specify what guests, I was guessing the specified categories would be free.

anyone know which way to read this?

thanks,

tb
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:39 pm

The brochure entry says: "All immediate family members can enter a RCC with the member, but the number of persons who are not immediate family will be limited to 2", and "Spouse and children under 21 years of age or up to 2 business associates can enter a Delta CR with the member".

On second reading: doesn't say whether they can enter free, but since I know that I can have guests normally for a fee in a lounge, and most other lounge entries don't specify what guests, I was guessing the specified categories would be free.
I haven't tried those lounges personally with the guests but as you already read other lounges then Priority Pass directory doesn't state anything regarding guests if it is the standard way (guests welcome with the fee). In this case I would say that it really means that your immediate family will be entering the lounge free of charge (but limited to 2). Just make sure that when you sign up in the lounge, you point out that your guests are your family members and they do not list them as guests in the slip you sign.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

Does anyone know the answer/ have practical experience of this issue?

thanks,

tb
Remember that UK Plat Amex holders get TWO Priority Pass cards - one for the main cardholder and one for the main supplementary card holder. You can therefore always get your spouse / partner in for free if you give them the supp card and have them apply for a PP.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)

anyone know which way to read this?

thanks,

tb
I don't have personal experience at these lounges but upon reading what you quoted, I don't think it has anything to do with the guests being free. It just designates how many people you can bring in...i.e if they are family members, you can bring them all in but nowhere does it state that they will be free...
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that UK Plat Amex holders get TWO Priority Pass cards - one for the main cardholder and one for the main supplementary card holder. You can therefore always get your spouse / partner in for free if you give them the supp card and have them apply for a PP.
thanks Raffles: my wife's supplementary card is still being processed (currently residing in US adds several weeks to all these issues), and we're both taking a trip soon, that's why I was interested.

However, as xray mentions, I suspect I misinterpreted the rules, and all guests would have to pay, but the number of guests allowed would be dependent on whether they were family.

tb
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:02 am

thanks Raffles: my wife's supplementary card is still being processed (currently residing in US adds several weeks to all these issues), and we're both taking a trip soon, that's why I was interested.
Supplementary Amex card or Supplementary Priority Pass card? I am asking this because you can get the new Priority Pass card issued and delivered very fast if you contact them directly.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Still waiting for supplementary amex card...

tb
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Ok, finally got the UK Amex Plat PP card. It clearly states that you will be charged for guests.

Congratulations! You are now a privileged member of Priority Pass - the world's largest independent airport lounge access program

Dear Mr. jgsx

As a valued American Express Platinum Card member, it is our pleasure to welcome you to Priority Pass - the program that gives you access to over 500 airport VIP lounges worldwide, regardless of your choice of airline, class of ticket or membership in an airline lounge program. Enclosed you will find your membership kit which contains your Lounge Directory and personalized membership card, which must be presented to the lounge in order for the lounge to admit you. Please take a moment to review the introductory section of the Directory, headed 'How to Use Priority Pass', and the 'Conditions of Use' section at the back.

It's essential to carry your Priority Pass membership card with you. When visiting a lounge, simply present your Priority Pass card to the receptionist who will take an imprint and ask you to sign a 'Record of Visit' voucher, or in some lounges, your Priority Pass card will be electronically swiped. (Please note: your Platinum card will not allow you access, you must present your Priority Pass card in order that the lounge may admit you). Since you hold Prestige membership courtesy of American Express you personally are entitled to free lounge visits, only the fee for anyone accompanying you will be charged to your American Express Platinum card (currently E24 per guest per visit).

Plus you can access up-to-the-minute lounge information on our website at www.prioritypass.com. To log in at the members-only section, simply enter your membership number as it appears on your Priority Pass card, and when registering for the first time please enter your website pin number as supplied.

Membership Number: XXXXXXXXXX Website Pin: XXXX

However, if you have already registered on the website please use the personal password that you have defined.

At Priority Pass our aim is to give you the best possible service in all apsects of membership. If you have any questions about Priority Pass please feel free to call out Membership Services team on 020 8680 1338, we'll be happy to help.

Yours sincerely

Alison Broom
Travel and Membership Services Manager

It's strange. This card has a LONDON imprint on it. My USA based PP doesn't have any kind of USA imprint. I'm still really disappointed that they lose the LHR arrivals lounge!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by jgsx
Ok, finally got the UK Amex Plat PP card. It clearly states that you will be charged for guests.
Yes, that has been the case all the time. Of course if the lounge has policy of not to charge the guests then it would be different.

So simplified:
- Lounge has some policy regarding who can enter the lounge
- Lounge doesn't know and cannot determine the level of the membership, they will just fill the form for Priority Pass according to the rules; the form will include information such as 1 member + 1 guest
- PriorityPass Prestige member will enter free of charge so Priority Pass doesn't charge anything for the 1 member part but will charge the 1 guest

So if the lounge would have the policy to allow some guests free of charge then they would record this in the form as 1 member + 0 guests. Some lounges for example allow children free of charge. For example, I took a friend of mine to the lounge and my friend had a one child with him. The form had a record 1 member + 1 guest. Priority Pass charged me the 1 guest fee. If the lounge would have recorded it as 1 member + 2 guests then I would have been charged two guests.

It's strange. This card has a LONDON imprint on it. My USA based PP doesn't have any kind of USA imprint. I'm still really disappointed that they lose the LHR arrivals lounge!
I have had that all the time for my European Priority Pass card. It is just showing the service center, which is taking care of the card.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by miikka
Yes, that has been the case all the time. Of course if the lounge has policy of not to charge the guests then it would be different.

So simplified:
- Lounge has some policy regarding who can enter the lounge
- Lounge doesn't know and cannot determine the level of the membership, they will just fill the form for Priority Pass according to the rules; the form will include information such as 1 member + 1 guest
- PriorityPass Prestige member will enter free of charge so Priority Pass doesn't charge anything for the 1 member part but will charge the 1 guest

So if the lounge would have the policy to allow some guests free of charge then they would record this in the form as 1 member + 0 guests. Some lounges for example allow children free of charge. For example, I took a friend of mine to the lounge and my friend had a one child with him. The form had a record 1 member + 1 guest. Priority Pass charged me the 1 guest fee. If the lounge would have recorded it as 1 member + 2 guests then I would have been charged two guests.

I have had that all the time for my European Priority Pass card. It is just showing the service center, which is taking care of the card.
Yes, I agree. All that matters is how many guests show up on your receipt. That will be charged to your card on file.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:35 am

Yes, I agree. All that matters is how many guests show up on your receipt. That will be charged to your card on file.
And this is the part where traveler needs to be careful. If the form will be recorded in wrong way then Priority Pass will automatically charge according the number of the guests - if the lounge has some policy of allowing some guests free of charge then the passenger must make it sure that the form is also recorded correctly.

Of course later on it is possible to discuss about that with Priority Pass but how can you prove easily that you didn't take anyone in the lounge.

Some lounges will submit the forms to the Priority Pass only once per month so it will take some time before they are processed and when the charge will come through to Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.