Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Gas, grocery, airline bonus points that have just cleared from previous spend?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Nope, points have been posting each month. It could be a CS "freebie" because of a complaint/inquiry I sent in about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Mysterious, but nice.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Did you hover your mouse over the entry? I checked my MR account and I get my points in 2 different segments of "Premier Rewards Gold Card-xxxxx." One appears to be regular spend (incl. air/gas/grocery); the other is for things like bonuspoints mall, double points on wireless bill and other promotions of that sort...
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Did you hover your mouse over the entry? I checked my MR account and I get my points in 2 different segments of "Premier Rewards Gold Card-xxxxx." One appears to be regular spend (incl. air/gas/grocery); the other is for things like bonuspoints mall, double points on wireless bill and other promotions of that sort...
Brilliant idea! It's for enrolling in the EXPO program, where you spend $25+ at a small business and they give you a $25 credit. I didn't know that we ALSO got 1500 MRs.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I'm wondering now if I'll receive a random amount of bonus points as well. I did spend at a small biz and received the $25 credit. *waits patiently*
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Brilliant idea! It's for enrolling in the EXPO program, where you spend $25+ at a small business and they give you a $25 credit. I didn't know that we ALSO got 1500 MRs.
After further research I'm thinking that the EXPO (Extended Payment Option) program bonus is from the program that allows you to pay over time on your AMEX PR Gold Card. Sorry about the confusion.

Pay Over Time Features
American Express gives eligible Cardmembers the option to pay certain purchases over time on their Charge Card. The Extended Payment Option allows Cardmembers to pay for eligible purchases of $100 or more over time.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Glad to know that you got those 1500 MR points, Phil. I just got the email offering 1500 for signing up for the Extended Payment Option (which I have no intention of actually ever using), so I am glad to know that I will receive the points just for signing up.

AMEX sure is generous these days:
$25 credits for small business purchases
$30 credit for spend at 6 merchants
5% rebates at Exxon, Mobil and Conoco Phillips
these 1500 points

If they keep this up, they might convince me to keep the MR card in spite of the annual fee.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Glad to know that you got those 1500 MR points, Phil. I just got the email offering 1500 for signing up for the Extended Payment Option (which I have no intention of actually ever using), so I am glad to know that I will receive the points just for signing up.
How does this program affect the card? They sent me a targetted email for 5000 points for signing up, but I'm hesitant to do so as I don't want there to be any negative consequences to my account.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:13 pm

How does this program affect the card? They sent me a targetted email for 5000 points for signing up, but I'm hesitant to do so as I don't want there to be any negative consequences to my account.
I couldn't find any negative consequences. Of course, I only use my AMEX MR card for gas and groceries and never have hit $100 on any one spend, and I always pay my bill on time. You might want to search this forum for some older threads on the extended payment option. Evidently this program has been around for years.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:01 pm

There was some anecdotal "evidence" that during the 2008-2009 meltdown, a number of people that were subjected to AMEX's infamous financial reviews had the extended payment option turned on. I've received the 5000 point offer in the mail and via email numerous times, but I'm hesitant to sign up.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Okto
There was some anecdotal "evidence" that during the 2008-2009 meltdown, a number of people that were subjected to AMEX's infamous financial reviews had the extended payment option turned on. I've received the 5000 point offer in the mail and via email numerous times, but I'm hesitant to sign up.
That was my thinking as well, I don't think the 5k points are worth it in that case...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:11 am

My 1500 points posted this morning, less than 3 weeks after I enrolled. Very easy!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:23 pm

5K MR Bonus for Choosing to Pay Over Time

So I have received in the mail probably 10 times over the past 3 years solicitations from AMEX Platinum trying to entice me to elect to have the option for paying for purchases over $100 over time. Simply by signing up for this option they would give me 5,000 MR points.

However, the fact that they are trying so hard to get me to sign up leads me to believe that this may be something that isn't worth the 5,000 bonus points. I believe just by signing up I will have the option in the future to pay for certain purchases over time. I never have to elect to do so, but I will have the option.

I would consider signing up for a better MR bonus offer, maybe 15-20K points.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:20 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
never heard of this, scan in a PDF of their offer letter
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I think Frugal Travel Guy mentioned this a while back. Can't recall the specifics though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.