Search

Paying Bill with Foreign Bank Account

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:56 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Paying Bill with Foreign Bank Account

Is there any way to link a foreign bank account to a US American Express account?

My dollar/euro holdings have gotten out of proportion and I would love to be able to pay my US Personal Platinum bill with my German checking account.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know about the US, but with the UK card it's not possible. I tried several ways and times over the past years and was on each occasion told belt Amex that it is not possible. I tried to explain that I wanted my foreign bank to wire funds into the account listed on my Amex statement and reference the card number but was told their systems are not set up to receive it that way.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:03 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know about the US, but with the UK card it's not possible. I tried several ways and times over the past years and was on each occasion told belt Amex that it is not possible. I tried to explain that I wanted my foreign bank to wire funds into the account listed on my Amex statement and reference the card number but was told their systems are not set up to receive it that way.
Thanks for the quick response. I figured it was probably a no-go. Maybe I'll give them a call anyway, not that I have any confidence in getting a correct answer on the first, second, or third try even from the "dedicated" Platinum agents.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Don't you have a US bank account (not credit card) to wire to and then pay from there?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:15 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Don't you have a US bank account (not credit card) to wire to and then pay from there?
Yes, I do. But I would have to figure out and pay all the associated fees from both banks and likely exchange rate arbitrage. I was hoping that it might be simpler done through Amex.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by C W
Yes, I do. But I would have to figure out and pay all the associated fees from both banks and likely exchange rate arbitrage. I was hoping that it might be simpler done through Amex.
Amex would also charge you an exchange rate. If the amount is large enough it makes sense to go via another account, the fees will be 1 or 2%, that's the cost of paying internationally unfortunately.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:42 am
Suspended

Could you try loading up a US debit card and pay with that?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:49 am
C W
Original Poster

Could you try loading up a US debit card and pay with that?
I'm afraid I don't entirely follow the suggestion.

To clarify the situation a bit: I generally try and keep my euro accounts running low and most of my money in dollars. This usually works well but I have some very large reimbursable expenses coming up that reimburse on roughly a month basis. These can be paid with either Amex or Maestro but I don't maintain enough euros to easily cover them. The reimbursement will only come to my German bank account. Therefore if I pay with Amex and get reimbursed into my German account I will be turning way more dollars into euros than I want to. This is why paying the charges on Amex and then paying it off from my German account would be the ideal situation.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:52 am
Suspended

There are various services that allow you to load up a debit card with EUR from, for example, a German bank account, then convert to USD. This debit card could then be used to pay off your Amex.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:54 am
C W
Original Poster

There are various services that allow you to load up a debit card with EUR from, for example, a German bank account, then convert to USD. This debit card could then be used to pay off your Amex.
Thanks, that might be worth it in this situation if the fees aren't too crazy.

Do you have any specific recommendations?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:11 am
Suspended

Not for the US unfortunately. Maybe a stupid question, but why not just use a transfer service like TransferWise to wire money to your US account?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:14 am
C W
Original Poster

Not for the US unfortunately. Maybe a stupid question, but why not just use a transfer service like TransferWise to wire money to your US account?
Not a stupid question at all, as looking at their rates that is probably the best option ^

I've never explored such services before because I've always been able to successfully juggle the funds and typically only needed to go from dollars to euros, which is easily accomplished at the interbank rate with a Capitol One 360 debit card and an ATM.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:17 am
Suspended

I can endorse TransferWise...search for a similar thread I started a few months ago when I was using Revolut. I transfer money all the time and it's quick and efficient.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:18 am
C W
Original Poster

I can endorse TransferWise...search for a similar thread I started a few months ago when I was using Revolut. I transfer money all the time and it's quick and efficient.
Great! Thanks for all your help
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please do not offer referrals in thread posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.