Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Saves The Day Yet Again.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Amex Saves The Day Yet Again.

Upon arrival in Buenos Aires after 20 hours of travel, I STUPIDLY failed to retrieve my bank card from the ATM at the airport. I realized this several hours later. I won't go into it completely, but the card was never found. I immediately notified Chase and nothing "untoward" occurred.

Now the AX part. I was basically screwed for cash. Chase was not going to get me a card quickly, let alone to Buenos Aires.

Then I remembered, American Express says they will cash a check. So I make my way to THE BIGGEST AND BUSIEST American Express office that I have ever seen. It is located in Plaza San Martin.

There were about 100 people in line, BUT there was a Platinum line!!! I waited about 2 minutes. So I walk up to the lady behind the window thinking they would give me $500.00 cash. If you did not already know, that amount goes very far in BA. The nice lady discreetly turns the screen to me and points to the number $10,000.00 and says that I am authorized this amount. I was stunned to say the least. She was so discreet and professional, just pointing to the screen without saying the amount. I said thank you and that $650.00 would be fine. So I wrote a Chase check for $650.00 and was off with my cash. So far no fee from AX has been levied on my account. My Conspiracy Complex still refuses to believe this and is waiting for the monthly statement to produce a hefty fee. The nice lady assured me that this would not happen. Chase however charged me $15.00.

I must add to this story my experience last year in Prague, where the Europecar that we had rented in Munich was vandalized. I used my AX card when renting. Long story short, when Europecar charged my account for the repaires, AX simply requested that I fax them the police report, and viola, the charges were credited. Never to be seen again.

These experiences, added to the countless hours my other half and I spend in airline clubrooms during the year, drinking their wine and eating their food, and the $1200.00 in Home Depot gift certificates that I cashed in this year, justify the fee to me.

Call me silly and sentimental, but I think I like having American Express as my friend when I am out of country.

Jade ( not so "jaded" today )

Last edited by jadedinsider; Sep 11, 2007 at 12:28 am
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

...except in Japan. There, when I tried (having done the same thing you did, left my card in an ATM), Amex told me there was only one location: an obscure bank with only one branch in all of Japan. Furthermore, that branch was only open non-holiday weekdays and was on the opposite side of Tokyo from me.

But in most countries, yes, it should work.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...except in Japan. There, when I tried (having done the same thing you did, left my card in an ATM), Amex told me there was only one location: an obscure bank with only one branch in all of Japan. Furthermore, that branch was only open non-holiday weekdays and was on the opposite side of Tokyo from me.

But in most countries, yes, it should work.
Richard, what was the result and how did you resolve your "cash flow problem." Curious only for future reference.

Jade
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:29 am

Programs: Various
Japan is a strange place for using cards. Only place I could get money out on my AmEx was at a Citibank. All the local japanese banks ATM's would not work, even though they displayed the AmEX logo.

Even more strange was trying to use it for purchases. I was able to buy tickets for teh bullet train on my Centurion via the e-kiosk with no issues but my buddy who also has a UK Centurion card could not. Only differences were I'd called to tell AmEx I was going to Japan, and mine was cash activated.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:22 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
its not a problem

i am using my german centurion card all the time in japan and china.

you can pay at any JR station , you can pay at any lawson .
supermarkets, bigcamera etc. no problem!

getting cash is possible in tokyo at citibank and the deutschebank with amex or a maestro card.

all other banks do not give money on creditcards.

you can get cash with your visa at any post office!

dp
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
The "cash a check" feature of Amex is one that I used for years, back in the days before ATMs and the global banking network. It was my stanbdy, not just for emergency cash, but for getting cash at all--I always hated travelers' checks, and with Amex you get the cash for free. For the three years that I lived in Russia in the early 1990s, I would walk down to the Amex office once a month and get a thousand bucks to pay my rent and living expenses--that was essentially how I drew cash from my US bank.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:26 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
... points to the number $10,000.00 and says that I am authorized this amount....Chase however charged me $15.00.
This is a published benefit of the Platinum Card, although they have the option to provide most of it in travelers cheques..

You can use your Card to cash personal cheques at more than 1,700 American Express Travel Services locations, up to $10,000 per account every 30 days. For each transaction, you may obtain up to $500 in cash and the balance in American Express Travelers Cheques. (Not all services available at all locations and all services are subject to local laws and cash availability.) For information, call 800-525-3355. Outside the U.S., call 954-473-2123.

However, I do not understand the reason for the $15 fee from Chase. Is it for clearing a check presented in a foreign country or for replacing the ATM card or...?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:15 am

Guess it's a good thing to carry a checkbook - which I usually don't.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by deflyer
Guess it's a good thing to carry a checkbook - which I usually don't.
It's funny--although I write about one check every three months, I carry my checkbook around all the time. There's a space for it in my wallet, so I just keep it there--even though, having been a very early adopter of online banking, I almost never write checks. I should probably get a smaller wallet and leave the checkbook at home, but hey, you just never know.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:16 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by deflyer
...good thing to carry a checkbook - which I usually don't.
No do I, but I believe that one can typically purchase travelers cheques at an American Express Travel Service office using a card, rather than a bank check, and these can readily be converted to currency.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
It's great to hear that this benefit worked out well for you! Amex offers so many great things (specifically sort of obscure benefits like this that slip my mind unless necessary), it's awesome to hear you were able to use it and have it worthwhile! Hope you enjoy your journey, too!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:33 pm

Is there anyway to obtain cash using Amex without a check or pin #?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:39 pm

Other than with a gun!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Is there anyway to obtain cash using Amex without a check or pin #?
Probably, but why not fold up one check and tuck it in your wallet. I am so glad that I did. It was so easy.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jadedinsider
Probably, but why not fold up one check and tuck it in your wallet. I am so glad that I did. It was so easy.
I might consider it just carrying one check with me. Just have to ask my wife to let me know where our checkbook is. I have not used a check in years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.