Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Points to Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:19 am
Original Poster

AMEX Points to Lufthansa

I have a bunch of points I haven't ever cashed in on my AMEX Blue card. Does anyone know if I can tranfer these towards a Lufthansa flight to Europe? Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry I didn't realize that. I'm not sure which of the forums this belongs under.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I am not sure about US cards. For European cards the answer is no.
You can however transfer your Amex MR points to a Star Alliance airline participating in the US MR program. Then you can try to redeem an award flight through this program for an LH flight.
I think USAir is available for MR transfer.

I tried to look it up for you but the website seems to be down:

"We are completing system upgrades to the Membership Rewards program from June 16, 2007 until June 18, 2007.

As we upgrade our systems, you will be unable to explore or redeem for rewards online or over the phone. All Membership Rewards systems are currently unavailable.
Coming Soon:
Program enhancements and more of the brands you love, as requested by you. Stay tuned for what’s in store.
"
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT

i believe you have either membership rewards options or membership rewards (latter if your card is linked to a charge card) if either, you can transfer to Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, or Singapore Airlines in order to redeem an award for a flight on Lufthansa. membership rewards options is 2 points to 1 mile, and membership rewards is 1 point to 1 mile.

for future reference, this would be the forum for your question, as i think your question involves membership rewards/options. plus, the forum is basically all things amex, not just membership rewards.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I would suggest transferring your miles to Singapore if you are going to stick to Star Alliance as they are probably the strongest partner in the alliance....

I do not know what the transfer rate...if it is 1-1 or less....stick to a transfer of 1-1 ...otherwise you are getting screwed...

By the way...Welcome to FlyerTalk and to your new addiction
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Further to Kagehitokiri's reply, American Express Blue cards participate in a diluted program called Membership Rewards Options. Options points transfer 2:1 to airline miles, meaning you need 2,000 points to receive 1,000 miles. (Purchases made with a Blue card could be treated as full Membership Rewards points if, and only if, the Blue card is "linked" to a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card.)

How many points are "a bunch", and what class of service are you planning to fly economy, business or first?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by anaggie
I would suggest transferring your miles to Singapore if you are going to stick to Star Alliance as they are probably the strongest partner in the alliance....
No idea why anyone with no status would transfer points to SQ. Besides, what does "strongest" mean? The most important things when transfering points are redeption rate and award availability.

To the OP. I think you can not transfer MR points to LH anywhere in the world. There is a LH Credit Card however which would allow you to collect M&M miles.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:03 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Some Amex cards allow the transfer to BMI.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again, AC, NH, SQ are ALL options for redeeming on LH (for US cardholders)

AC - 60/80/100
NH - 50/80/100 (US-DE)
SQ - 50/80/110 (after 15% online discount > 42.5/68/93.5)
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
No idea why anyone with no status would transfer points to SQ. Besides, what does "strongest" mean? The most important things when transfering points are redeption rate and award availability.

To the OP. I think you can not transfer MR points to LH anywhere in the world. There is a LH Credit Card however which would allow you to collect M&M miles.
"strongest" means that SQ will have the more award redemption availability than anyone else in Star Alliance.....

Same as Cathay does in OW.... what difference would it make if she does not have status to transfer to AC or NH....best bet is still SQ....
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA 2P, Best Western Diamond
At least last month, regular Membership Rewards accounts could transfer to Air Canada's Aeroplan. Just set up an Aeroplan account, log on to AMEX to link your new Aeroplan number to your Amex account and transfer the miles.

Miles transfer very quickly. My experience is they are moved in less time than it takes than you'll be on hold with AC to make reservations.

Kaghitokiri is correct - economy is 60,000 miles, business is 80,000, and first class is 100,000 for North America to Europe. More for South Pacific/Asia. See http://www.aeroplan.com/use_your_mil...eward_chart.do to see how many miles you need to go wherever. AC looks to "charge" fewer miles than UA for *A travel.

An account with ANA (/www.ana.co.jp/eng/index.html) is useful for checking seat availability.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by anaggie
"strongest" means that SQ will have the more award redemption availability than anyone else in Star Alliance.....
I don't see the connection?

Some airlines have greater award availability on their flights (own metal) using their FFP's miles (in some cases only for top elite status members eg Qantas), or greater chance of extra award seats to be released for their own elites. Some FFPs restrict availability for redemptions on other airline metal flights (eg United doesn't allow award on NZ LAX-LHR flight). Some airlines restrict award availability on their flights (own metal) using certain other FFP's miles (eg SQ using UA miles).

But in general, award availability is the same between partners. That said, some FFPs have natural advantages (eg longer ticketing deadlines, waitlisting, converting revenue seats to award) on their own flights.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from what ive read on FT, DL is definitely worse than other skyteam, and i personally have only seen avail once when looking at awards

again from what ive read on FT, NH is definitely better than other star alliance, havent heard the same about SQ though, and i seem to recall LH/LX being better as well

i seem to recall these kinds of things even being discussed in stickies..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.