Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Fidelity AmEx Platinum (& Gold)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
anyone know what the costs would be to upgrade an existing fidelity gold amex to a fidelity platinum .. today? Wonder if it's still subsidized even after all this time.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:12 pm

I still have this card, and the annual fee is $320. I believe that the Fidelity discount was supposed to be $75 off of the annual fee ($395 when I applied about ten years ago), but it appears as though they have kept the fee constant instead of increasing it as Amex has raised the annual fee for the regular card.

I've kept the card all these years because it's essentially paid for by the Platinum card benefits (easier at $320 than $450), but I hardly ever use the card for charges anymore, although I make a few selective charges a year for return protection and warranty extension. I have moved 99% of my charging to the Fidelity cash-back Amex and Visa...for the cash back.

The two complaints that I have about the Fidelity platinum card are (1) the balance is automatically withdrawn from my Fidelity account on the date of the statement (no deciding when I want to pay it) and (2) there are zero promotions for bonus MR points. As a result, I view it more as $320/year for lounge access, the $200 airline fee reimbursement, and the FHR benefits.

I have no idea if you could upgrade a gold card to it. Although, clearly amex still has the infrastructure in place to administer the card; they still service it, send replacement cards, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Just FYI everyone, I just got off the phone with AMEX. They were able to upgrade my existing Fidelity Gold AMEX to Platinum for a $320 annual fee - today, 7/28/13.

Comes with all the same benefits as the AMEX Platinum (like the $200 airline credit) with the exception of the auto withdrawl from Fidelity. Very (very) good deal overall if anyone still holds the card.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:24 pm

I just got my replacement card and it seems they are continuing to issue the old style version of the card. Has anyone gotten the revised version?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by kesco
Just FYI everyone, I just got off the phone with AMEX. They were able to upgrade my existing Fidelity Gold AMEX to Platinum for a $320 annual fee - today, 7/28/13.

Comes with all the same benefits as the AMEX Platinum (like the $200 airline credit) with the exception of the auto withdrawl from Fidelity. Very (very) good deal overall if anyone still holds the card.
Kesco this is great news! What number did you call? I have the Fidelity Gold Amex and I thought I was out of luck.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:59 pm

Was able to upgrade via the 800-529-2164 number. Rep said that my wife couldn't keep her gold as an authorized user and would have to upgrade to platinum as authorized user. Since she's never used the card, I simply closed it. Rep also mentioned that there wasn't MR for the platinum. Not a huge issue as I'll be using this for the other perks, but I may follow-up after receiving the card. Did confirm that it was $320. Since I'll take advantage of the $200 reimbursement and global entry perks right away, this is a terrific deal.

Update: Went into my account today, shows as Platinum, and was able to enroll in MR for no fee. Thanks Kesco!

Last edited by free888; Aug 3, 2013 at 6:46 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:58 am

Possible to downgrade back to the Gold?

Anyone know if it's possible to convert from the Platinum back to the free Gold?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:30 pm

what does this card even look like? I've never seen it advertised or anything.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by free888
... Rep also mentioned that there wasn't MR for the platinum. ...Update: Went into my account today, shows as Platinum, and was able to enroll in MR for no fee.
Fidelity Green and Gold are listed as eligible cards, but Fidelity Platinum is not. Please update after a couple billing cycles to let us know if you actually receive the points:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/.../catalog/tandc
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by mia
Fidelity Green and Gold are listed as eligible cards, but Fidelity Platinum is not. Please update after a couple billing cycles to let us know if you actually receive the points:

i've had the fidelity plat card for 5+ years, it most definitly earns MR
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Grandfathered

Originally Posted by richiezc
i've had the fidelity plat card for 5+ years, it most definitly earns MR
They do not issue these any more. You are grandfathered in.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mia

Haven't been on FT in awhile. Can confirm that I do receive MR, also received airline reimbursement and Global Entry reimbursement as well. Appearance wise, the card looks exactly like an Amex Platinum card, with Fidelity written on the front.

The Fidelity Gold did require a fee to join MR, but it's included with the Platinum. For anyone with the old Fidelity Gold (discontinued 5 years ago?), you should still be able to upgrade to the Fidelity Platinum. Since the Fidelity Gold was free, I imagine there are still quite a few sitting in people's drawers.

Last edited by free888; Dec 31, 2014 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia

I think they put the Fidelity Platinum under the Platinum category. Cant understand why they would not get MR and the Gold and Green do.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
amex upgrade

is amex still doing upgrades for this card?
the fidelity gold to the platinium?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kesco
Originally Posted by free888
Was able to upgrade via the 800-529-2164 number.
Originally Posted by happyvoid
is amex still doing upgrades for this card?
the fidelity gold to the platinium?
I tried about three weeks ago through the phone number above with no success. Two separate departments tried. Amex says I have to call Fidelity to see if they can push an upgrade. I'm in no hurry, and I'm not sure if the card is worth it for me (totally happy with my Amex Gold) so I haven't called Fidelity to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.