Community
Wiki Posts
Search

elimination of Points Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

elimination of Points Accelerator

I've checked through the forums and unless my keywords in my search really suck, I tried "Points Accelerator", I can't find much, if any, discussions on the fact that Amex will be eliminating this service.

I have an Amex Gold and charge close to $750k per year, so the MR points add up quick with Points Accelerator.

I received a letter from Amex a week or so ago stating that, as of Nov. 1, the service will no longer be available.

Calls and questions to Amex customer service are meant with absolute and total indifference. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, they don't really give a crap if we don't like it. When asked what now differentiates the Amex MR program from anyone else's "points" program, I was told, "I don't know sir. I don't work for any other financial institution". I'm sure she heard the veins in my neck strain and my blood boil after she uttered that gem of a rehearsed line right from the "what to say when pissed off customer calls about cancelling the Points Accelerator service" playbook.

Is anyone else choked about this change? It's significant and yet no one seems to be talking about it or wanting to do anything about it.

Can anyone perhaps direct me to any other forums when it is being discussed?

EDIT - the card is issued through the Amex Bank of Canada.

tia.

Last edited by BradnerBoy; Oct 16, 2006 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

In which country is your card issued? I am not familiar with the term Point Accelerator, but a Google search indicates that it is a feature offered in Canada. If your account is Canadian this thread may be relevant...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607034

dennis
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the turbo program change in Hong Kong was addressed on this forum. search turbo and hong kong and you should find it.

BC british columbia? i guess they canada is another country where they have such a program.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I am in Canada. I wasn't aware this with indigenous to us. Interesting.

I did read the post about the Plat card. The Amex rep said they're being impacted more than the Gold.

At any rate, there's still little talk in general about such a significant change.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i just read your post again. there must not be many canadian amex holders on FT?

since they cut the program, i doubt youll be able to get "good will" points like others at your spending level have posted about getting when they "complain" about not being targetted while lower spenders are.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
At any rate, there's still little talk in general about such a significant change.
The corresponding changes to the USA program were extensively discussed when announced a few months back. American Express eliminated "Double Points for Everyday Spending" and also terminated a series of internet "One Extra Point per Dollar" offers.

I think it's good to complain, politely, to be sure they know that you noticed and care about the change. I also think it's unrealistic to expect them to reverse the decision. Certainly the customer service representative will not have this authority.

The important issue is not "is this program as good as it was last year?", but rather "is this the best program for me this year?" . Make the comparison to other card issuers and place your business accordingly.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:08 am

I use the same Amex Gold Card, and only used it because of the Points Accelerator. For me it was the most efficient way to accumulate Aeroplan Points (1.5/$1 with no tiers or caps) with comparatively lower fees per point than the Amex AeroplanPlus cards or the CIBC Aerogold. When I called to complain they gave me the hard sell to upgrade to the Platinum Card (without any bonuses or other incentive to do so) or to switch to an AeroplanPlus card. They really, really pushed the AeroplanPlus, but what I liked about Membership Rewards over the AeroplanPlus cards was the option of having the freedom to transfer to a programme in any airline alliance (Asia Miles for OneWorld, SkyMiles and OnePass for SkyTeam, and Aeroplan for Star Alliance.)

Without Points Accelerator, the Canadian Amex Gold Card is pointless. The only thing you get above the standard Amex Card is questionable insurance benefits which you can get for free from most no-fee gold or platinum visas. It no longer offers any value for money (one could argue it never really did.)

With the new changes to Aeroplan, I'm certainly having to rethink my entire card strategy.

Both Amex and Aeroplan have made a move to trim the fat this month by tightening up the restrictions and devaluing their products. Only time will tell if they will be successful.

I would be surprised if by next year Amex hasn't phased out the Gold Card in Canada completely like they did in the UK.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
There is a huge thread on this in the Air Canada forum.

I know for us Plats, they dropped it from 1.5 to 1.25 unless you didn't want to transfer to Frequent Flyer programs anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
There is a huge thread on this in the Air Canada forum.

I know for us Plats, they dropped it from 1.5 to 1.25 unless you didn't want to transfer to Frequent Flyer programs anymore.
Is it worth it to keep the 1.5x and NOT transfer to Frequent Flyer? Can't you just conver the points to travel dollars to be used with PTS?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan basic
Originally Posted by ThirtyOne
I would be surprised if by next year Amex hasn't phased out the Gold Card in Canada completely like they did in the UK.

What?! When did they do this? Is gold not lucrative enough for them? Im in Canada and was planning on switching from Amex Aeroplanplus to the Amex Gold product next year. I'd be mighty sore about it if they eliminated it right when I was about to switch over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.