Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free night at selected Starwood properties [Some markets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC

I'd seen this offer mentioned in passing in a couple of threads but thought it was worth mentioning in its own thread in case there are any other Amex customers like me that have had issues in getting sent out these additional offers (e.g. I never got the Marco Polo one as they'd mucked up my marketing mailing preferences).

The offer is a single free night at one of 63 selected Starwood properties around the world (they have a selection in the different regions of Africa, Asia, Europe, Indian Ocean, Middle East, USA, Mexico & Caribbean, South America - although some have only a few properties).

Stay has to be between 1/1/12 and 30/9/12, can be booked at any time between now and the end of the offer.

Obviously just giving us the SPG points to choose from any property with no expiry would have been even nicer but still not a bad offer for nothing.

Hopefully should still be eligible for stay credit, I guess there might be fluke of getting some SPG points too although that seems unlikely.

Anyone made a booking yet? Experienced any issues?

Last edited by EDIflyer; Mar 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reason: Update title
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
It's an offer to selected cardholders, not a general offer.

AmEx UK seem to be sending some offers to some account holders at the moment. We didn't get this one, nor the fast pass through security, but we did get the Harvey Nicks voucher.

I'm not sure what the selection basis is.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Ah apologies - hadn't realised that (a couple of friends who are Plat received it too so I had assumed it was widespread).

I didn't get the fast pass one either - had some Harvey Nicks thing but think it was just for a voucher above a certain spend.

Was the Marco Polo one meant to be targeted too? If so then might be worth sending a secure email to CS saying you'd heard about this Starwood offer but didn't seem to receive it in the post?? (as that seems to work quite well with MP)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: F
I got this one. The one date in the next few months where I was near enough to one of the hotels in the list to make it worth trying for a free night was a failure: blacked out by the hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Ah, OK that's not so good - I was hoping it would have pretty good availability but sounds like it might be troublesome. Would be good to hear any success stories re. redemptions too if anyone's had luck?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any category 7?

for cat 6, schloss fuschl in august would be a good/high value

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 29, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Obviously just giving us the SPG points to choose from any property with no expiry would have been even nicer
This would vastly increase Starwood's cost for the promotion. Offering rooms at specific properties for a specific date range allows them to use only rooms which would otherwise be unsold, but awarding points opens up a full range of other redemption options.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nights can be better considering how high (well over 100K) some awards are
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Ah apologies - hadn't realised that (a couple of friends who are Plat received it too so I had assumed it was widespread).

I didn't get the fast pass one either - had some Harvey Nicks thing but think it was just for a voucher above a certain spend.

Was the Marco Polo one meant to be targeted too? If so then might be worth sending a secure email to CS saying you'd heard about this Starwood offer but didn't seem to receive it in the post?? (as that seems to work quite well with MP)
You can now do the Marco Polo card via the Amex Plat website so not targetted. Alternatively, I have a PDF of the postal form if anyone wants it, PM me an email address. (It gets posted back to Amex, so sadly no way of trying to secure status for a non-UK non-main-cardholder-only Plat!).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
any category 7?

schloss fuschl in august would be a good/high value
No, there is a list of 63 properties. None of the European ones are any good for a 1-night stay AFAIK, in terms of being very close to a big city where you can fly in/out easily. No Venice, Scotland etc.

Dubai is an option (2 options) as easy to move somewhere else for the other nights of your stay.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
No, there is a list of 63 properties. None of the European ones are any good for a 1-night stay AFAIK, in terms of being very close to a big city where you can fly in/out easily. No Venice, Scotland etc.

Dubai is an option (2 options) as easy to move somewhere else for the other nights of your stay.
bummer no cat 7 as cat 6 values dont seem great.

ski properties may be best depending on blackout dates.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This would vastly increase Starwood's cost for the promotion. Offering rooms at specific properties for a specific date range allows them to use only rooms which would otherwise be unsold, but awarding points opens up a full range of other redemption options.
Yeah, I know - I thought the same thing, still doesn't mean it wouldn't have been nice though :P
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
You can now do the Marco Polo card via the Amex Plat website so not targetted.
Indeed although initially the thought had been that it was targetted. If I hadn't received this SPG offer I'd certainly contact Plat CS and ask (& would be interested to hear the outcome from anyone that does).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Made a booking today under this offer. Amex PTS seemed fully briefed on the offer and were happy to make a booking if their was availability of a room under the 'WOW' rate on their system (as I say I wouldn't be at all surprised if non-targetted members were also able to make bookings). Booked at the WDW Dolphin in Orlando, they couldn't find availability on the first night (when all the cash rates seemed higher anyway, presumably the last night of a conference), but no issue with a later night in the stay - value of around $314 (~£200 at today's exchange rate) so pretty good for free. Currently included as part of a 5-night booking but they appreciate that they can't always get as good a rate as some of the SPG offer ones so there's no issue reducing the booking down to just the free night if I can get a better deal on the other nights nearer the time.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Ba Bronze, AMEX Plat, CX Gold, HH Gold
I sent an email to CS and within an hour I have had a reply with a list of hotels. Only shame is I wanted something around Naples/Fort Myers, but will keep the list as there is plenty of time to use it.

Thanks for the info.

Mick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.