Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum UK upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Amex Platinum UK upgrade

I got a package through the post today concerning several enhancements - which look like real enhancements - to Amex Platinum benefits in the UK although the fee is increasing from £275 to £300.

These improvements match what seems to have happened in Germany but the fee increase is smaller. They include:

* Travel inconvenience cover without having to charge tickets to the card. Although the level of the insurance has fallen it is now possible to claim £300 for baggage delayed 4 hours or more.
* Better cover for car hire so all insurance not included in the basic hire car package are covered by Amex and benefits are payable with no excess, and no need to charge the hire to the Amex card.
* New link to Radisson Hotels and Avis.
* Travel insurance covers the spouse and children of all additional cardholders.
* Priority Pass membership for the Platinum supplementary cardholder free of charge.

All this looks pretty good to me.

bmifly
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmifly
I got a package through the post today concerning several enhancements - which look like real enhancements - to Amex Platinum benefits in the UK although the fee is increasing from £275 to £300.

These improvements match what seems to have happened in Germany but the fee increase is smaller. They include:

* Travel inconvenience cover without having to charge tickets to the card. Although the level of the insurance has fallen it is now possible to claim £300 for baggage delayed 4 hours or more.
* Better cover for car hire so all insurance not included in the basic hire car package are covered by Amex and benefits are payable with no excess, and no need to charge the hire to the Amex card.
* New link to Radisson Hotels and Avis.
* Travel insurance covers the spouse and children of all additional cardholders.
* Priority Pass membership for the Platinum supplementary cardholder free of charge.

All this looks pretty good to me.

bmifly
This must be waiting for me, I'll probably pick it up on Friday. Good move on the Priority Pass. Not too keen on the annual fee going up though Presumably the UK Centurion fee will be going up as well, otherwise the difference in fees are getting smaller

Chris
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
The increase is not very much considering the additional PriorityPass etc.

I hope they will also align IEC/IDC, which was until now aligned with other UK cards.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:15 am

Does this presage a new Centurion program? The car hire benefits sound better than the Centurion ones which are, effectivrly, only LDW in North America.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:58 pm

Actually sounds near enough equal (or better in some cases) to Centurion now as far as hotels and priority pass go.

I cant believe they will leave Centurion alone, unless you stay at the hotels with perks, there seems to be little reason the keep the card.

I wonder how log it will be before they upgrade the cent card, or maybe they are waiting for the numbers to dwindle a bit, make it more exclusive again that way.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
In Germany the Plat fee is going up from € 400 to € 500, with the same new "benefits".

Plat and Centurion benefits seem to be getting close, except for the Mandarin Oriental free nights. (Posting from the Landmark Mandarin Oriental...)
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I needed to check something with the 'help'desk (SPG Gold, as it happens, renewed at green instead of gold level; SPG need a two letter code which is Something Never to be guessed), so I asked a question about car hire coverage.

The packs are being sent to members over a one month period. Changes apply to all platinum charge cardholders from 17 April.

As I renewed in March at £275, I'm grateful for the changes and find the £25 increase justifiable, especially in view of the added car rental coverage and a second Priority Pass membership.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
As I renewed in March at £275, I'm grateful for the changes and find the £25 increase justifiable, especially in view of the added car rental coverage and a second Priority Pass membership.
Me too. But will the BA Amex Travel Inconvenience cover (which requires you to use the card to pruchase the tickets, but which which offers higer levels of cover) change to match that offered on the Platinum card?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bmifly
Is that just for North American car hire, or worldwide?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm glad they got their act together on insurance benefits after all the will they/won't they following the changed FSA rules on insurance.

Fee increase seems justified in view of - overall - enhanced benefits. I'm glad you mentioned the car cover, as I'm under the impression that it extends beyond North America, but I'll have to check my recent mailing. I wish they would update the UK website, which still shows the old fee/benefits.

Incidentally, I had a new card sent to me as my old one had a few unusual charges...not crazy about the new design/colour.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm glad they got their act together on insurance benefits after all the will they/won't they following the changed FSA rules on insurance.

Fee increase seems justified in view of - overall - enhanced benefits. I'm glad you mentioned the car cover, as I'm under the impression that it extends beyond North America, but I'll have to check my recent mailing. I wish they would update the UK website, which still shows the old fee/benefits.

Incidentally, I had a new card sent to me as my old one had a few unusual charges...not crazy about the new design/colour.
New design and colour? Post a picture
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:08 pm

I've just been home and picked up the new pack. I must say the benefits do seem great for the added £25 (I like the way the letter introduces the higher fee ).

They have really made an effort with the insurance now, and I like the questionnaire. Lets hope some of the service levels (or training) improves too and it should be good all round.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Centurion in the coming weeks or months.

Chris
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by razflyer
Is that just for North American car hire, or worldwide?
The car hire cover is worldwide - something Amex specifically points out.

bmifly
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Abassador Gold, Fly BMI,Starwood Gold, Hilton Honours
Luggage insurance

Calles up Amex today..you can now only claim £300 if your baggage is delayed more than 4hours. After 48hours you can claim another £300. There is no longer the 7hours rule!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by csdavidson
New design and colour? Post a picture
This is from the US website, but the Platinum cards looks like this now.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...?page=platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.