Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn't AmEx promoting restaurant spend ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Why isn't AmEx promoting restaurant spend ?

btw, why isn't AmEx giving incentives to use of their cards at restaurants buy giving bonus points on restaurant spend on more of their cards ? That would give more visibility to AmEx cards (more people will pull out their AmEx that colleagues/friends will see) and will please the increasing numbers of millennials who eat out frequently instead of cooking at home.

Lots of credit cards offer bonus points on gas spend but in big cities like New York, Toronto and Montreal with a decent transit system, lots of people don't own cars and spend no money on gas.

Here in Canada, none of the cards issued by AmEx give category bonus points on dining purchases.

If there were more AmEx cards with category bonus points on dining transactions, the number of restaurants accepting AmEx will increase because there will be more demand for AmEx acceptance from patrons due to the category bonus points

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 24, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:31 am

Yeah, Canadians are getting hosed.

Platinum seems to give you 1.25 earnings on all categories though
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Even AMEX in the US seems to have only one card that earns bonus points for dining transactions (the Preferred Gold Rewards card) and on top of that it's limited to US restaurants
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I finally gave in and got the Chase Amazon Prime card - moved all my restaurant spend onto it for 2% rebate available on statement close towards amazon spending (buy something weekly, now that they carry groceries)

The Chase Hyatt card is pretty good too - 2x for Hyatt points sorta worth 2 cents ... so potentially 4% back ... I'm swimming in Hyatt points though ...

The citi AA card usually runs restaurant spend bonuses at least once a year

I think part of the Amex restaurant spend issue is that business meals are likely directed to a corporate card, as opposed to personal
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
...AMEX in the US seems to have only one card that earns bonus points for dining transactions...
Technically five:
  • American Express® Gold Card for Ameriprise Financial
  • Gold Card from American Express
  • Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
  • The Mercedes Benz Credit Card from American Express
  • Morgan Stanley Credit Card

...plus Blue Business Plus which earns 2X everywhere.

Last edited by mia; Jul 24, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
...and will please the increasing numbers of millennials who eat out frequently instead of cooking at home.
It's not just millennials. I spend a large portion of my income at restaurants and would love to earn more than the 1.25 MR that I get on my platinum card. I buy alot of restaurant gift cards from grocery or drug stores to earn 2 MR using my gold rewards card but would rather have a cc that gives that directly.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 4aks
I finally gave in and got the Chase Amazon Prime card - moved all my restaurant spend onto it for 2% rebate available on statement close towards amazon spending (buy something weekly, now that they carry groceries)

The Chase Hyatt card is pretty good too - 2x for Hyatt points sorta worth 2 cents ... so potentially 4% back ... I'm swimming in Hyatt points though ...

I think part of the Amex restaurant spend issue is that business meals are likely directed to a corporate card, as opposed to personal
Discover IT offers 5% cash back (up to $1500 in spending) on restaurants for 3mo, and 5% at Amazon for 3mo every year. The other two quarters are usually fuel and home goods. I get that those points aren't convertible to air miles as FT'ers often prefer, but they're good bonuses.

I can't answer why Amex isn't giving incentives on restaurants, if they even did 2 MR/$ I'd be more likely to spend on it (compared to 3% cash from Costco's Citi)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Discover IT offers 5% cash back (up to $1500 in spending) on restaurants for 3mo, and 5% at Amazon for 3mo every year. The other two quarters are usually fuel and home goods. I get that those points aren't convertible to air miles as FT'ers often prefer, but they're good bonuses.

I can't answer why Amex isn't giving incentives on restaurants, if they even did 2 MR/$ I'd be more likely to spend on it (compared to 3% cash from Costco's Citi)
that's a big rebate, but not gonna convince me carrying a Discover is worthwhile
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Technically five:
  • American Express® Gold Card for Ameriprise Financial
  • Gold Card from American Express
  • Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
  • The Mercedes Benz Credit Card from American Express
  • Morgan Stanley Credit Card

...plus Blue Business Plus which earns 2X everywhere.
Doesn't the Hilton Honors Surpass card also offer 2x for US restaurants?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Where is this announced? I've had this card since 1994, never heard of it!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
that's a big rebate, but not gonna convince me carrying a Discover is worthwhile
If 5% cash back is "a big rebate", why isn't carrying a Discover card worthwhile?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
If 5% cash back is "a big rebate", why isn't carrying a Discover card worthwhile?
customer service is important to me ... granted last time I had Discover was late 90s ... but I don't trust them to resolve problems without causing me big headaches ... one of the main reasons I still pay AMEX $550 , regardless of dilution of benefits each year ... AMEX will fix problems no hassle ...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Where is this announced? I've had this card since 1994, never heard of it!
Citi Advantage Platinum Select has a small promo running right now for restaurants, grocery, gas and drugs (2X bonus plus 1X spend). 2500 bonus points max.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
Citi Advantage Platinum Select has a small promo running right now for restaurants, grocery, gas and drugs (2X bonus plus 1X spend). 2500 bonus points max.
That's similar to a bonus promo I had this spring

Also had the same promo last summer
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
customer service is important to me ... granted last time I had Discover was late 90s ... but I don't trust them to resolve problems without causing me big headaches ... one of the main reasons I still pay AMEX $550 , regardless of dilution of benefits each year ... AMEX will fix problems no hassle ...
If you've been on the wrong side of a problem, then I don't blame you. I don't trust Chase, so even though I have an 800+ FICO and no 5/24 constraint, I passed on the 100k CSR signups last year, and I won't give them a minimum deposit for a $500 new checking account bonus.

For Discover though, my parents have been Discover cardholders since the 1980s, myself since 1999, and I've always been happy with their CS, and call centers are still all US-based which is nice. They also have a 90 day purchase price protection (like Chase Sapphire, unlike Amex) for no annual fee and it's paid out to me three times.

Okay, commercial over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.