Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Beginning March 30, 2017, The Centurion® Lounge guest policy for Platinum Card® Members will change. All Platinum Card® Members will be limited to two total guests at no additional charge. One-day passes for any additional guests, including immediate family members, may be purchased.
-- http://thecenturionlounge.com/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The other side of that, is that you are only traveling with your immediate family a few times a year; so it's not a big deal.

Of course, you always have the AU cards (but those cost extra in the USA). For European card holders, you get enough cards for the family; so AMEX has built that into the equation (somewhat). For example, NL gets 3 (one AC) Centurion and 4 Platinum Cards. Even Platinum is multiple cards per yearly membership.
It's a big deal when it's a big deal. If you've got a delay or long layover or missed connection, it's a big deal. And you're paying $550/year. As I mentioned upthread, AX only permits >15 to be AU cardholders, so for folks with kids <15, it's SOL. I have both a personal and a business plat, so I assume that, if I were to keep both, I could guest in 4 people (2 on personal and 2 on business). Or are they going to restrict per member rather than per card?

I'm all for limiting crowds in lounges. But do it fairly. Grant x amount of passes per year. Then we all get the same access and the same benefit.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
... I have both a personal and a business plat, so I assume that, if I were to keep both, I could guest in 4 people...
No, that's already covered in the terms. It's in the paragraph that you previously quoted:

What is the guest policy?
Centurion® Members and Platinum Card® Members who receive complimentary access may enter with either up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge. Guest or family access is per Card Member, not per Card. Family and guests may not enter or remain in the lounge unless accompanied in the lounge by the Card Member.

If you purchase a one-day pass, your children under 18 may accompany you at no additional charge. You must purchase a one-day pass for any additional guests.

Last edited by mia; Mar 9, 2017 at 10:34 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by scubadu
People in the Amex forum spend a lot of emotional energy determining "which side they come down on" with all the armchair ideas, without acknowledging that it's largely irrelevant.
You've been here on FT long enough to hopefully know that that is what we do here. Nothing unique or specific to the Amex forum. Flyertalkers love to... talk, argue and speculate. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

It's good to have clarity on what the way forward is on this issue. Whether it's the "right" solution I don't know (it has zero impact on my usage of the Lounge), and I suppose we will get some non-scientific reports of crowdiness starting in a few weeks. Amex presumably had a lot of data from their checkin records and could evaluate the alternatives thrown around here based on that.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:26 am

I can just imagine, the family will be scoping out a solo traveler at the entrance, and pleading him/her to guest their family in.

Also, I predict that this thread will get an explosion in traffic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...up-thread.html
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Grant x amount of passes per year. Then we all get the same access and the same benefit.
Won't work unless x is very small. Roughly speaking we all want to use the lounge at the same time. Monday mornings, Friday evenings, Wednesdays before Thanksgiving.

I suggest a flat fee per person, tiered by card level. Centurion = free, Plat = $10, Gold = $25, all others = $50. Have a reservation system (a la Opentable) where any cardholder can reserve one free off-peak visit per year.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
Won't work unless x is very small. Roughly speaking we all want to use the lounge at the same time. Monday mornings, Friday evenings, Wednesdays before Thanksgiving.

I suggest a flat fee per person, tiered by card level. Centurion = free, Plat = $10, Gold = $25, all others = $50. Have a reservation system (a la Opentable) where any cardholder can reserve one free off-peak visit per year.
You're assuming business travel (aside from Thanksgiving). I'm traveling Wednesday morning today, for example. But then so what? If you use all your passes up on those days/times, then you use them up. Staggered by renewal date should help with the masses.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by davie355

Most frequent business travelers like myself would not pay 550/yr for the option to pay 10/visit. Especially since we're in and out in pretty quickly. However, there is no one size fits all solution.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
Most frequent business travelers like myself would not pay 550/yr for the option to pay 10/visit. Especially since we're in and out in pretty quickly.
Right, but that's the point - to reduce in-and-out usage, which as you suggest makes up a good chunk of usage, while keeping the price halfway reasonable so that the lounge remains viable during special circumstances like long delays.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
...Amex presumably had a lot of data from their checkin records and could evaluate the alternatives thrown around here based on that.
American Express knows who uses the lounges, how often, which locations, peak/off, how many guests, how much they spend on their cards etc. They can refine this policy if they choose. Guest passes could be priced differently than Day passes. Membership Rewards points could be redeemable for guest passes. Guest passes for children could be priced differently than for adults. High spend members could receive complimentary nontransferable guest passes.

...but before they can do any of this, they will need to demonstrate that the two guests per cardholder rule is real, otherwise no one will appreciate the exceptions.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:05 am

You kids get off my lawn....er, out of my lounge, that is.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Thank you for advising of this policy - I think this is an excellent and benefits all (excluding someone with huge family in tow).

If Centurion has enough demand for families - they will build a playpen or jungle gym type environment but I believe they lose customers (high end client) without kids who choose to visit a lounge for quiet location to grab a drink, relax in between flights or take/conduct a meeting.

If you want to experience the family effect I would urge you visit United's Lounge at EWR airport on a Monday vs. visiting on a Sunday. On a Sunday, many many large families traveling internationally make it undesirable to sit for more than 30 minutes. On a Monday, it is quiet and peaceful.
This comment is not against families or reducing the benefits if someone has a family but some families abuse the policy and bring two parents, the nanny, grandmum, three kids and potentially the fake 'service' dog. A regular traveler seeking one seat is either forced to stand, sit at bar, sit in TV room (watching cartoons instead of sports) or squeeze a seat between an extended family.

I applaud the policy and hope more lounges or programs follow quickly.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by mia
American Express knows who uses the lounges, how often, which locations, peak/off, how many guests, how much they spend on their cards etc. They can refine this policy if they choose. Guest passes could be priced differently than Day passes. Membership Rewards points could be redeemable for guest passes. Guest passes for children could be priced differently than for adults. High spend members could receive complimentary nontransferable guest passes.

...but before they can do any of this, they will need to demonstrate that the two guests per cardholder rule is real, otherwise no one will appreciate the exceptions.
I don't know if you want the queue to enter the lounge based on spend data associated with card member. It can result in too many disputes of I spent $100k but you only show me at $55k, let me call the customer service line and block everyone behind me. Sometimes the spoiled people (including myself) don't like to be told they aren't special even if a policy exist.

E.g. Think of all the bloats checking in at hotels demanding Elite benefits if/when they aren't entitled to them.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Thank you for advising of this policy - I think this is an excellent and benefits all (excluding someone with huge family in tow).

If Centurion has enough demand for families - they will build a playpen or jungle gym type environment but I believe they lose customers (high end client) without kids who choose to visit a lounge for quiet location to grab a drink, relax in between flights or take/conduct a meeting.

If you want to experience the family effect I would urge you visit United's Lounge at EWR airport on a Monday vs. visiting on a Sunday. On a Sunday, many many large families traveling internationally make it undesirable to sit for more than 30 minutes. On a Monday, it is quiet and peaceful.
This comment is not against families or reducing the benefits if someone has a family but some families abuse the policy and bring two parents, the nanny, grandmum, three kids and potentially the fake 'service' dog. A regular traveler seeking one seat is either forced to stand, sit at bar, sit in TV room (watching cartoons instead of sports) or squeeze a seat between an extended family.

I applaud the policy and hope more lounges or programs follow quickly.
MIA century has a play pen.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
AMEX has only itself to blame for any customers disappointed or frustrated about this change. The original guest policy was so lax that of course folks were going to take advantage of it.

As for me, this is certainly great news. Ridiculous to never be able to find a place to sit, food buffet always decimated, gigantic families taking up entire areas of the lounge, etc etc.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
It's silly to have this limit when the lounges advertise children's rooms within the lounges. What's the point of having these types of accommodations for families if the admission cap prevents families from entering and taking advantage of them?

Glad we went with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. The CSR, paired with AA lifetime Platinum and Admirals Club membership, ensures that our family of 4 is always welcome at a lounge in pretty much any airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.