Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR (USA) to Virgin America (VX) 25% bonus to 10.10.2016 + status offer to 10.31.2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR (USA) to Virgin America (VX) 25% bonus to 10.10.2016 + status offer to 10.31.2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Question MR (USA) to Virgin America (VX) 25% bonus to 10.10.2016 + status offer to 10.31.2016

Virgin America offer 25% bonus. 125 elevate points for 200 MR points.

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Sep 9, 2016 at 9:26 am
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Virgin Atlantic offer 12.5% bonus. 125 elevate points for 200 MR points.
I believe you mean Virgin America or at least that's what's showing up for me. The math is also a bit off as it's a 25% bonus (125 instead of the normal 100 for 200 MR) .

There's also this:

Special Offer
Receive Gold Status if you transfer 80,000+ Membership Rewards points through 10/31/16.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I believe you mean Virgin America or at least that's what's showing up for me. The math is also a bit off as it's a 25% bonus (125 instead of the normal 100 for 200 MR) .

There's also this:

Special Offer
Receive Gold Status if you transfer 80,000+ Membership Rewards points through 10/31/16.
Yeah Virgin Atlantic don't have Elevate points and Flying Club miles certainly aren't worth more than one MR point per mile, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's VX. The status offer is kinda weird, though, considering they're in the process of being acquired. I wonder what kind of Mileage Plan status VX Gold translates to. It looks like it pretty much requires $10K spend, so it seems like that should become MVP Gold.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Transfer points to Virgin America Elevate® Loyalty Program

200:100 = Standard transfer ratio
200:125 = Promotional ratio

125 Elevate points = 200 Membership Rewards points. Membership Rewards points must be transferred in increments of 200.

Special Offer
Receive Gold Status if you transfer 80,000+ Membership Rewards points through 10/31/16. Terms apply.
See Special Offer Terms.*

* Special Offer Terms & Conditions

Offer only valid for existing Virgin America
Elevate® Loyalty Program members or new
members who enroll in the Elevate program
by September 30, 2016
It is not entirely clear if the transfer bonus portion of the offer runs to the end of October, or only the status portion.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:56 am

I'm thinking about going to Australia next year. Would redeeming on virgin america using virgin Australia be good for 4-6 people? How's their availability on partner rewards? Could do a mix flight class but most would be economy.
I skimmed the vx thread but most people were going to destinations other than Australia.
I have approx 215k in MR , 200k in avios, 145k in chase (plus 100k pending CSR).

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el.../redeem-points
shows 40k/80k round trip from lax

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by vletnguyen
I'm thinking about going to Australia next year. Would redeeming on virgin america using virgin Australia be good for 4-6 people? How's their availability on partner rewards? Could do a mix flight class but most would be economy.
I skimmed the vx thread but most people were going to destinations other than Australia.
I have approx 215k in MR , 200k in avios, 145k in chase (plus 100k pending CSR).

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el.../redeem-points
shows 40k/80k round trip from lax

Thanks in advance.
Last I knew you could search Virgin Australia award space on Delta's website (and DL itself is also an option for you). I've heard it's become difficult to find business class on VA since they introduced their new product, but I don't know about economy.

Quick check on Delta's website shows good availability in June on VA's LAX-SYD flight for four in Y. (Didn't check other routes or dates.) Also appears to be much cheaper to book via VX, even before the transfer bonus. (160k Skypesos RT)

Edit: Oh, whoops. Looks like you need to find space priced at the lowest level (90k in DL miles), which does look to be available on some routes in July, but not nearly as abundant as I thought.

Last edited by taliesin; Sep 9, 2016 at 1:06 pm Reason: Corrected bad info
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:06 pm

Thanks! I'll check delta and call the "burn" desk to see before I transfer.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Thoughts on whether such a transfer makes sense overall?
If one assumes a VX point's worth 2.4 cents (around what I've read across the web), then you're getting 1.5 cents value per Amex point, which doesn't seem all that great. But maybe VX Gold is worth it depending on one's interests and needs? (at a cost of 80K points, or realistically $800-$1600USD)
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
... maybe VX Gold is worth it depending on one's interests and needs? (at a cost of 80K points, or realistically $800-$1600USD)
You are not redeeming 80,000 points for the status. You still have them in your VX account to use for travel.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...r/member-guide

Membership Benefit Year

The Elevate Status Benefit Year runs from January 1st to February 28th.

Your Benefit year runs from the time you qualify during the initial qualification year, and through to the end of the following full calendar year.

If you do not re-qualify for Elevate Status in a subsequent Membership Qualification Year, your Elevate Status Benefits will expire on February 28th after the end of the Elevate Status Benefit year.

For example, if you earn 20,000 status Points or 15 segments between August 8 and December 31 2012, you will earn Elevate Silver Status for the remainder of 2012 as well as for the full 2013 Membership Benefit Year. If you do not re-qualify for the 2014 Membership Benefit Year, your Elevate Silver Status will expire on February 28. 2014.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:54 am

To start with I have 0 points in my BA Avios and VX Elevate accounts. My goal is to travel LAX - HNL return end of March (4 passengers) . I do have 110,000 Amex MR points in my account. I am not sure how to strategize getting awards tickets for my travel.

I have called BA 2 days back and they said there is no rewards availability for Mar 31 - April 8 , 2017 ...but asked me to call frequently. Now , should I stick to BA or call VX also? I dont see a link where I can check availability from LAX - HNL on either websites.

any help would be appreciated? Once I get availability , I understand I can xfer the MR points and see them instantly in the airline website.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
...? I dont see a link where I can check availability from LAX - HNL on either websites.
BA does not fly between LAX and HNL, but the website will search for partner flights on the route. However, it may be simpler to search on aa.com. You must find MileSAAver availability, ignore AAnytime seats and ignore the number of AAdvanatge miles which would be required. If you find MileSAAver seats on aa.com, call BAEC to book.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by mia
BA does not fly between LAX and HNL, but the website will search for partner flights on the route. However, it may be simpler to search on aa.com. You must find MileSAAver availability, ignore AAnytime seats and ignore the number of AAdvanatge miles which would be required. If you find MileSAAver seats on aa.com, call BAEC to book.
I do see MileSAAver for days which are +/- my dates but they still show 22.5K miles each way .. Thats 45k for 1 return ticket...However I read somewhere they have return flights for 20k which I am not seeing anywhere..
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
... they still show 22.5K miles each way...
The number of AAdvantage miles required is irrelevant. BAEC charges according to their own redemption schedule which is based on distance.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
The number of AAdvantage miles required is irrelevant. BAEC charges according to their own redemption schedule which is based on distance.

got it. thanks for tip..really new to this :-) apart from AA , how about Hawaiian air which is also a partner? can I check avails on hawaiian ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.