Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
One of the things you can try is to go back in the browser history of the computer your wife's referrals signed up from. There it might still show the link they used - compare that with the link in the e-mail and you might have proof that they indeed signed up from the referral email.

By the way, my experience was exactly the opposite of yours. The 10K referral miles posted to my Delta account a few days after the referral was approved, and the 60K miles posted to the new member account 3 days after the minimum spend was met.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:17 am

Sorry to hear that it happened to your wife too. After the numerous investigation (6 months) I just gave up. It sucks because they open up the investigation and then close it without even letting you know. The reason was that you didn't provide enough information, which is BS because I had provided them with everything. Even the last 5 numbers of their AX card.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Submitted a complaint to the BBB and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and Amex just responded with the same response that no one signed up with my wife's referral links, and there's nothing they will do. Honestly can't believe they can just get away with this, if it was 1 or 2 I'd just drop it but it's 6 referrals and 80,000 points.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:55 pm

So essentially we've exhausted all options (BBB, CPBV, Supervisors, Filing Complaints, etc) and the only thing a supervisor said we can do is write to Amex Customer Support in El Paso. However, Customer Support in Salt Lake City already denied us as a response from our BBB and CPBV complaint, and will not investigate (short of something coming of our BBB response to their response saying no one used a signup link). I'm at the point of just canceling my wife's card to at least get part of the annual fee back and being done with this. Has anyone else in this thread or anywhere online had luck getting anything out of this, or is just a lost cause for everyone. Even our file by Amex when calling up says they can't give anymore points as compensation, and Customer Support in El Paso is the last option.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yoshapman
..., and Customer Support in El Paso is the last option.
This is probably not true. You can try the Executive Offices. This thread is dated, cannot vouch for accuracy of details:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ve-office.html
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
I am currently in the same boat with AMEX Hilton HHonor referral. I saw my friend applied through my link. Yet, I receive nothing.

I referred many friends to several AMEX cards and have never had any negative experience before though.
I am also in the same boat with the Hilton Honors card. I didnt receive the bonus for my colleague referral and my wife didnt get a bonus for referring me. We are also on the waiting stage during the complaint process.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
I am also in the same boat with the Hilton Honors card. I didnt receive the bonus for my colleague referral and my wife didnt get a bonus for referring me. We are also on the waiting stage during the complaint process.
Good luck, still nothing. I am contemplating sending a large envelope with all information to the executive offices - I don't know what else I can do, they sent a 2nd letter stating the same thing and saying they won't respond to any more inquiries regarding this matter.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:43 pm

Same thing for me with Amex. Their systems are messed up, I don't think any of this is intentional. That doesn't make it any better.

CSR even told me there was no Hilton referral offer on my account, even though it's still there and I sent screenshots. And that the 3 email addresses I said I referred just signed up on the website without using my (nonexistent) referral link. They also didn't contact me when they closed their investigation. I had to chat online again to find out all this information.

Maybe the next thing is to point them to this thread to show them it's not an isolated incident.

SPG referral bonuses are so reliable and quick. It's a shame it doesn't work for the rest of them.

Last edited by penner42; Aug 16, 2016 at 1:48 pm Reason: removed screenshots
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Angry

Here's my story:
We as a family of five referred more than 50 people applied for the Amex Hilton HHonors and Surpass cards, of which 33 people got approved for the HHonors card, and 8 got approved for the Surpass card. That's a lot of bonus points, right? None of us got any bonus points even though we referred them in March and April of this year. All of our friends know exactly to apply through the email Amex sent them and did exactly what they supposed to do. We always refer friends to apply for the Southwest cards, Spg card, Amex Gold Premier card... and always get the referral bonus we suppose to get. It's very disappointing, upsetting and frustrating this time with Amex Hilton Promotional Department. You can imaging how much time and effort we spent to convince friends to apply, then have to call every single one of them again to ask for address and last 5 digits of their cards to submit to Amex customer service. Very time consuming and all we get back is more and more frustrating. I asked the customer service representative "Does it make sense to you that over 40 people got approved for the cards we referred and none of them applied through the link that Amex sent them?" since we did not get any bonus. She replied " That's possible" . How thoughtless is that? They even closed the case without letting you know. I don't think they even check anything. Every time We call, they always say "rest assure, you will get your bonus points", I wonder when? The last representative I talked to gave me the address in El Paso, New York to write a complain to. Don't know if I should waste my time doing that. Please let me know if anyone get any thing back from them. Thank you for reading.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:11 am

seems like it's a hit or miss...referred another coworker and still don't see any points...got scammed now for the 3rd time.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:06 am

The Hilton referrals are simply not working, and American Express refuses to acknowledge it. Most of the other cards are reliable and quick, from what I can tell.

See the later parts of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ogram-usa.html
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have combined two parallel threads discussing problems with American Express (USA) referral offers. Most of the reports pertain to Hilton co-branded cards.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AOPA
HH referral is not working. Referred 10 people and no points so far. I was able to provide name, address and the last 5 of the card #, I am on my 3rd investigation.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by teddy25
HH referral is not working. Referred 10 people and no points so far. I was able to provide name, address and the last 5 of the card #, I am on my 3rd investigation.
I have given up on HH referrals, I only try for mr, spg, and delta, all of which have a good track record for me.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
I never got credit for my HH referral. Had the Wife refer it to me.

is it possible that logging to apply vs completing a new app (as if you are new customer) makes a difference? IIRC I clicked the referral link and then logged into my amex account, which pre-filled the app info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.