Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone experiences Amex takes your points back because you close your acct too soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone experiences Amex takes your points back because you close your acct too soon?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold

I applied a Plat card on the end of this Jan. Of course, I got the opening bonus and $200 travel credits. However, last month I saw another good offer for MB plat. In this case, I am holding two Plat cards right now. I am thinking about canceling the ordinary plat and at least keeping the MB one at this moment. My only concern is that will Amex take my points of ordinary Plat back because I only held this card for four months. Thanks for your advice and DP in advance.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:18 pm

Won't take points back but it may actually hurt the possibility of getting another Amex card if you close it vs keeping it open
Old May 30, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Won't take points back but it may actually hurt the possibility of getting another Amex card if you close it vs keeping it open
I already got the MB one so I actually don't care if I would get another card in the near future. Thanks for replying..
Old May 30, 2016, 8:50 pm

I won't close it as you can get the $200 fee credit again next january and then cancel it. You have already paid the annual fee and I don't know if you get it back prorated by cancelling.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babypuwet
I won't close it as you can get the $200 fee credit again next january and then cancel it. You have already paid the annual fee and I don't know if you get it back prorated by cancelling.
I have seen a lot of cases that Amex does return prorated annual fee.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
I already got the MB one so I actually don't care if I would get another card in the near future. Thanks for replying..
This hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. IMO, the concern about pissing Amex off and putting future card applications at risk is relevant if you think you'll be applying for other Amex cards in the future, not just the near future.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
This hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. IMO, the concern about pissing Amex off and putting future card applications at risk is relevant if you think you'll be applying for other Amex cards in the future, not just the near future.
Yes, it seems I've ticked off Amex. See my post entitled "Has Amex Tagged me as a Churner?"
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LWT3
I've had countless cards with AMEX. Many I've maxed out the benefits within 45 days, cancelled, and gotten AF refunded. AMEX hasn't blacklisted me and I continue to get cards at will with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.