Wiki Posts
Search

Best redemptions for J trips to Southern Africa

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Best redemptions for J trips to Southern Africa

Hi Guys,

MR and UR are pretty foreign to me as I've been using cards within the OW universe and have been flying US/AA for the last several years.

I don't have much reason to continue being loyal to AA as I'm not flying as often and have also applied for many of their cards already. Amex is an untapped CC space for me and I'd like to start delving into this area before the end of the year.

My main thing is J class awards to Southern Africa. I was wondering if anyone sees a sweet spot with Amex MR/UR transfer partners with this type of award.

There are quite a few airline transfer partners so rather than look through every single one, I figured someone may have some insights or loopholes on the topic.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
From Amex MR, ANA charges 104k round trip in J. Singapore charges 57.5k one way for US-northern Africa or 70k one way for US-southern Africa.

For Chase, Korean charges 120k round trip. Chase also transfers to Singapore. All of these airlines pass on fuel surcharges, so you have to minimize/avoid those.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
From Amex MR, ANA charges 104k round trip in J. Singapore charges 57.5k one way for US-northern Africa or 70k one way for US-southern Africa.

For Chase, Korean charges 120k round trip. Chase also transfers to Singapore. All of these airlines pass on fuel surcharges, so you have to minimize/avoid those.
Wow 104k is amazingly low. Any idea approximately what the taxes typically are? If they're reasonable (EG not BA) then I think I'd better start getting some Amex MR cards
Old May 24, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VLtone
Wow 104k is amazingly low. Any idea approximately what the taxes typically are? If they're reasonable (EG not BA) then I think I'd better start getting some Amex MR cards
http://travelisfree.com/2015/05/18/r...s-award-chart/

I believe flying on Air Canada, United, and/or Etihad to Africa would avoid fuel surcharges.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dukerau
http://travelisfree.com/2015/05/18/r...s-award-chart/

I believe flying on Air Canada, United, and/or Etihad to Africa would avoid fuel surcharges.
The one Air Canada longhaul int'l flight I flew on (FRA-YYZ on a 787) had the most uncomfortable so-called "fullly flat" J seat I've ever been on, with a nasty painful bump in the middle of the so-called "fully flat" seat. Luckily I was flying westbound and didn't need to sleep, so I was just testing the seat out. (The seat was fine in non-sleeping positions, though.) I have no idea if it was typical or not, but some sites that review J seating give Air Canada a horrible grade.

And United only flies to western Africa with its own planes per their route map.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update:

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And United only flies to western Africa with its own planes per their route map.
And not even that soon. United is ending its last service to Africa with its own planes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...rica/85027594/
"United’s exit will leave Delta as the only U.S. carrier to offer nonstop service between the USA and Africa."
Old May 28, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
You may also want to look into booking a one way award for your flight there and pay for a one way flight on your way back. One way business class flights to the US originating in JNB or CPT can be a good value.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
You may also want to look into booking a one way award for your flight there and pay for a one way flight on your way back. One way business class flights to the US originating in JNB or CPT can be a good value.
With which airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.