Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Good advice. This freeze is so undefined right now-inconsistent answers, long 6-8 week hold for undefined 'review', but won't say review of what. Most deafening to me is the silence of the bloggers who disclose their relationships with Amex. I have not read a single post speclulating on what is the core problem, what are they reviewing, what passes, what fails. My guess is the silence is either because the bloggers decided it was better for them to be quiet, or Amex delivered the same message.
My take, bloggers dont have any inside info and they do not bother to find out from AMEX if their own accounts are not involved. Why should they make any post to further antagonize AMEX, after they committed the first offending act by broadcasting the initial link?! Given YOU in their shoes, would you say anything on the debacle? You would not expect the bloggers write with your best interest in mind, would you?

It cannot be emphasized more that for those who have contacted AMEX and being fed all sorts of stories, keep a meticulous records of names, time of calls, and the content of the conversation. If it comes down to a fight, having the details would only help your case.

Personally I dont have anything in this, count me too cheap to pay the AF as the airline credits currently have no use to us when still sitting on almost $2.5k of airline currencies, so the $450 AF is real money outlay to me that I have no clue on when to recoup the cost, i.e. use the airline credits from the bottom of the barrel. I also got the targeted 50K PRG back in March that has 1st year fee waived and $100 airline credit which AMEX just sent me a Mid Year Reminder that I have not used the benefit yet. Would rather wait till next round of offer, preferrably one has 1st year fee waived. May be another targeted one, such as the 75K BRG... (one can dream, right?) So I took a pass and now quite glad I did.

However a friend like everybody here, has his account frozen together with his existing 390K balance before the 100K - and all his spend is organic, over 1.5K sightseeing excursions booked on Expedia, paid 2.1K insurance premium, some miscellaneous items. His account is frozen alright as everyone in this mess. So far he hasn't made any call as his current DL balance is quite enough for a "need to be booked soon" trip so he decides to just let things play out. I am sort of on the look out for him on the development when he is taking the family to London this Sunday.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 24, 2016 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Has anyone gotten trifecta?

Business amex Plat
Amex Plat
and MBZ Plat?

are MBZ plat and personal Plat considered same product?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by broncophil
Yes. Three separate products. Some of this discussion predates the once in a "lifetime" rule:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...cards-usa.html
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If you have an iPhone, download the Call Recorder app. I use it whenever I know I'm going to have to dispute something with a CS agent (particularly Amex).

Double check your state's recording laws, of course, but if it comes down to it, a recording is the best evidence you can have.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
After getting this offer(both me and my wife), my account is fine, but her account is frozen (points pending). Next,we applied for MB Plat,and both were approved. I've got a card few days after approval, but my wife's card is not here yet,after a week. It seems to me that they don't send cards to frozen accounts.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:26 pm

This is the kind of garbage that is going to finish Amex as a company. Instead of innovating and trying to beat the competition, they fight their cardholders over rewards points that were in most cases rightfully earned. If Amex didn't have the DL and SPG co-branded cards, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

I get the impression that Amex is run by a bunch of old people who have no idea that this is 2016, and that they no longer have a monopoly on the premium card market.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:38 pm

I was approved for the card but was denied the 100k bonus as I have owned and canceled the Ameriprise Platinum in 2014. I was told Ameriprise Plat and Personal Plat are considered same product (as far as sign up bonus goes) but is this true??
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by heta
I was approved for the card but was denied the 100k bonus as I have owned and canceled the Ameriprise Platinum in 2014. I was told Ameriprise Plat and Personal Plat are considered same product (as far as sign up bonus goes) but is this true??
No, it is not true. Keep calling and pressing.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by WWads
This is the kind of garbage that is going to finish Amex as a company. Instead of innovating and trying to beat the competition, they fight their cardholders over rewards points that were in most cases rightfully earned. If Amex didn't have the DL and SPG co-branded cards, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

I get the impression that Amex is run by a bunch of old people who have no idea that this is 2016, and that they no longer have a monopoly on the premium card market.
+1 I find it really surprising that they're making so much effort to actually incentivize more people to leave on top of their recent loss of Costco and JetBlue partnerships.

A supervisor suggested I keep checking back every couple of weeks. I have done that 2 times. First time they opened up an inquiry just to follow up on that to tell me it would take another 6-8 weeks. Second time, a couple of days ago, they opened up an inquiry again but no-one called me. After this thing is done with, I am cancelling all my Amex cards apart from the no-fee Everyday card to save my MR points, and since it's also my oldest account currently. No way I'm paying any fee for the .... customer service I have to put up with 7 out of 10 times I have needed to call them.

Last edited by sora_g; Jun 27, 2016 at 3:32 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by broncophil

Business amex Plat
Amex Plat
and MBZ Plat?

are MBZ plat and personal Plat considered same product?
Yes got 150k business / 100k private and 75k MB all one after the other and every bonus posted and the account is not frozen
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by GunneRy
I'm tempted to pay the whole AF (which isn't due yet for me) just to see if that frees up my points.

On the other hand, it seems unfair to pay an AF for a card where there's no guarantee I'm going to see any of the points I've legitimately earned.
I'm not sure paying the AF will speed up the bonus in any way. Just have to wait the 6-8 weeks.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
No, it is not true. Keep calling and pressing.
Thanks. They have opened up an inquiry about this and will chat again in 2 weeks. The rep kept saying their system shows I am ineligible for this bonus because I owned a Platinum card already in 2014. It was Ameriprise Plat (the first year fee free) but she insisted I am ineligible because it says so in their system! In addition to the Ameriprise which was canceled in 2014, I have owned a Biz Plat before. I use the card for normal spend and almost no gift cards, but I have been a churner for 7-8 years and am afraid that Amex don't like that.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by heta
Thanks. They have opened up an inquiry about this and will chat again in 2 weeks. The rep kept saying their system shows I am ineligible for this bonus because I owned a Platinum card already in 2014. It was Ameriprise Plat (the first year fee free) but she insisted I am ineligible because it says so in their system! In addition to the Ameriprise which was canceled in 2014, I have owned a Biz Plat before. I use the card for normal spend and almost no gift cards, but I have been a churner for 7-8 years and am afraid that Amex don't like that.

My wife has applied for Ameriprise Plat & is pending for approval. Somehow they keep it referring as Amex Plat. Not sure whats problem with their system. If both products are considered same, I think we messed up things pretty bad then
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by milesjjcc
My wife has applied for Ameriprise Plat & is pending for approval. Somehow they keep it referring as Amex Plat.
Did your wife obtain her regular Platinum card using the offer which is the subject of this specific thread?

I would not be surprised if American Express decided to treat co-branded Platinum cards as the "same product" as the standard card for bonus purposes, but it would be new practice and we need to carefully document the parameters.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Did your wife obtain her regular Platinum card using the offer which is the subject of this specific thread?

I would not be surprised if American Express decided to treat co-branded Platinum cards as the "same product" as the standard card for bonus purposes, but it would be new practice and we need to carefully document the parameters.
Just sharing my experience. I opened the Ameriprise Platinum around this time last year. Received the 40K points bonus that was advertised at that time. Card is still currently open but about to be cancelled. At the beginning of May, I opened the MB Platinum with the 75K points bonus. Points have posted and all is well. I do not MS at all. All of my spend is organic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.