Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco refugees -- Which Amex did you switch to?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Costco refugees -- Which Amex did you switch to?

I searched the forum, but didn't see anything directly related to my question...

So those with Costco Amexs...what are you replacing them with?

I'd like to keep an Amex product in my wallet, but am having a difficult time figuring out which one(s) would be worthwhile. I've put most of my eggs in the UR basket so far. Not sure if I want to bother with MR points or cash, but curious to see what others have done.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
It really depends on what points you value. I find SPG good value (at least used to) for hotel stays, and switched all personal purchases to SPG Amex some years ago. For business I use Amex Gold for MR transfers to airlines not part of UR.

After costco stops accepting Amex, I will probably replace the business Amex as I just want a single card for business purposes. Ill probably keep the SPG Amex and that will be my sole Amex product at that point.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:16 am

can we get a replacement without a pull?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by maholic
The targeted everyday cash was without hard pull I think.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:20 pm

Nothing at this point. Don't just follow the herd. Select whatever it is that works for you. Why do you have a need for another AmEx if you don't know what purpose that AmEx will serve? Sounds like putting the cart before the horse.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KRSW
So those with Costco Amexs...what are you replacing them with?
Check online for your targeted offer. AFAIK, all AMEX Costco cardmembers should have an offer of AMEX BCE (Blue Cash Everyday).

As always, your only option with AMEX Costco card is either cancellation or transfer to Citi (as AMEX does not allow PC on the Costco products).

Originally Posted by hiima
The targeted everyday cash was without hard pull I think.
It would be a HP unfortunately, given my experience.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by maholic
I was able to switch to the SPG (May 15), same credit line, no credit pull, but new account (FWIW I otherwise had a DL reserve card). Called and spoke to agent.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by j.bell
I was able to switch to the SPG (May 15), same credit line, no credit pull, but new account (FWIW I otherwise had a DL reserve card). Called and spoke to agent.
So you are dropping Costco?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by garykung
So you are dropping Costco?
Sorry - yes, to clarify: in the same phonecall, I dropped the Costco card. I already have 2 Citi cards and wasn't looking for a 3rd.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Switched to AXP Plat.

Didn't get the 100k bonus points offer unfortunately, but I want to sign up for Global Entry so it was a good time to pull the trigger. Signed other family members up and we'll easily be able to exceed the $675 in annual fees paid by purchasing stuff through MileagePlus X, as well as the value of the bonus points, Global Entry enrollment fee reimbursements for all of us, and access to Centurion Lounges.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Switched to AXP Plat.

Didn't get the 100k bonus points offer unfortunately, but I want to sign up for Global Entry so it was a good time to pull the trigger. Signed other family members up and we'll easily be able to exceed the $675 in annual fees paid by purchasing stuff through MileagePlus X, as well as the value of the bonus points, Global Entry enrollment fee reimbursements for all of us, and access to Centurion Lounges.
I am fairly sure the card will only reimburse for 1 global entry per cardholder every 5 years.. So only one of the global entry fees will be reimbursed unless each family member is also an authorized user

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ur-travel.html
"Receive one Global Entry statement credit ($100) or one TSA Restatement credit ($85) every 5 years for an application fee charged to an eligible American Express® Card."
Old May 2, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kayakj
I am fairly sure the card will only reimburse for 1 global entry per cardholder every 5 years.. So only one of the global entry fees will be reimbursed unless each family member is also an authorized user

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ur-travel.html
"Receive one Global Entry statement credit ($100) or one TSA Restatement credit ($85) every 5 years for an application fee charged to an eligible American Express® Card."
"The benefit is also available to Additional Card Members on eligible Consumer and Business Card accounts."

I think I'm good. That's what I mean. I added other people as Authorized Users and will have them charge the GE application fee to their own cards.

I'm also a MC refugee, coincidentally, during the same 2 months I will become an AmEx refugee. USAA canceled my MC and replaced it with a Visa Signature, so I find myself needing a MC too. Looking at Barclaycard Arrivals Plus for that. Visa seems to be eating everyone's lunch nowadays, but I already have the Sapphire Preferred and don't need two more.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:11 am

Is it possible to switch amex products and end up with both citibank costco and Amex or is Amex going to cancel their costco card so it does not move with the portfolio
Old May 3, 2016, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Is it possible to switch amex products and end up with both citibank costco and Amex or is Amex going to cancel their costco card so it does not move with the portfolio
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ate/index.html
Old May 3, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Why do you have a need for another AmEx if you don't know what purpose that AmEx will serve?
Easy -- Average Age of Accounts... My Costco Amex is 10+ years old. Losing my 3rd oldest account would hurt, especially with all the new accounts I've opened in the past 12 months + the new Citi Costco card + 2 more I'm opening this month.

Originally Posted by Kayakj
That stinks... Even my no annual fee Wells Fargo card gives 2x Global Entry every 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.