Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Various
Yes, I received a call earlier today from Centurion US acquisition to say they would like to extend an invitation for the US version card to me at $2500 annual fee.

My US PRG account had been noted previously as 'interested in US Centurion' as I was unable to do a global transfer from my UK Centurion to US Centurion in the past, so I had opened a US PRG and kept my UK Centurion account (of 15+ years open).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:03 am

Geographic

Hi, my first post...

I read that Amex do check where we spend & what we spend on..

In order to make this thread more meaningful, I think we should include information such as where you usually shop & what sort of things you buy with your Amex card.

I reside in a building above a somewhat high end shopping mall in Hk I.e Elements. I spent about 100k usd a year. My spending has been
10% consumables
90% online shopping

Sure I'm somewhat not interested in the Cent anymore mainly because there isn't much shop in Hk that accept Amex and also, a lot of other cards offer lots of cash rebate and rewards. All my travel is mostly paid for by my company (company Amex card). Although I travel and spend quite a lot (travel to Japan, the US and Zurich few times a year on business class and stay in five star hotels), I won't meet their spending criteria.

Also their benefit is not really helping. Most of the pecks are related to those old club house. For people who spend that much money, our apartment already would have those club house. Why would I want to carry my gym clothes etc & go somewhere else to workout or something? The resturants at those clubhouse (on Amex list) is pretty bad.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Latex
Hi, my first post...

I read that Amex do check where we spend & what we spend on..

In order to make this thread more meaningful, I think we should include information such as where you usually shop & what sort of things you buy with your Amex card.

I reside in a building above a somewhat high end shopping mall in Hk I.e Elements. I spent about 100k usd a year. My spending has been
10% consumables
90% online shopping

Sure I'm somewhat not interested in the Cent anymore mainly because there isn't much shop in Hk that accept Amex and also, a lot of other cards offer lots of cash rebate and rewards. All my travel is mostly paid for by my company (company Amex card). Although I travel and spend quite a lot (travel to Japan, the US and Zurich few times a year on business class and stay in five star hotels), I won't meet their spending criteria.

Also their benefit is not really helping. Most of the pecks are related to those old club house. For people who spend that much money, our apartment already would have those club house. Why would I want to carry my gym clothes etc & go somewhere else to workout or something? The resturants at those clubhouse (on Amex list) is pretty bad.
You brought up a good point about the breakdown of spend. However, data points are only good as long as folks report getting a Centurion Card after September 2009.

Also, keep in mind that Centurion Card requirements different depending on the country/territories where they are issued.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Yes, I received a call earlier today from Centurion US acquisition to say they would like to extend an invitation for the US version card to me at $2500 annual fee.

My US PRG account had been noted previously as 'interested in US Centurion' as I was unable to do a global transfer from my UK Centurion to US Centurion in the past, so I had opened a US PRG and kept my UK Centurion account (of 15+ years open).
Congrats!

What was your spend on your PRG? Do you think having the UK Centurion was a determining factor in the invite?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:06 am

Well done Richard
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:19 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I also noticed that you get to bring guests for free on your priority pass card with a Cent account too instead of the $27 guest fee or whatever it was before.
FWIW, 2 guests for NL Centurion Priority Pass (x2 Priority Pass Memberships).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SteveT
Congrats!

What was your spend on your PRG? Do you think having the UK Centurion was a determining factor in the invite?
My spend on my PRG was small (think it was about $60k last year) but vast majority of it was travel (business and first class tickets). Having the UK Centurion account definitely helped (have been a UK Centurion customer for 15 years). There were several communications between the UK leadership team and the corporate office about my account as the default policy for transferring Centurion between markets is a no. From what I am told, the CEO stepped in and requested an invitation be issued (they waived the initiation fee too).

Ironically, I now need to decide what to do in the UK - drop down to Platinum or keep UK Centurion too as there is a notable gap in insurance coverage and some other benefits such as supplementary cardholders.

The new box they send the card out is pretty large and heavy too (card, big bound book with pictures and then another book with benefits):
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
My spend on my PRG was small (think it was about $60k last year) but vast majority of it was travel (business and first class tickets). Having the UK Centurion account definitely helped (have been a UK Centurion customer for 15 years). There were several communications between the UK leadership team and the corporate office about my account as the default policy for transferring Centurion between markets is a no. From what I am told, the CEO stepped in and requested an invitation be issued (they waived the initiation fee too).

Ironically, I now need to decide what to do in the UK - drop down to Platinum or keep UK Centurion too as there is a notable gap in insurance coverage and some other benefits such as supplementary cardholders.

The new box they send the card out is pretty large and heavy too (card, big bound book with pictures and then another book with benefits):
LOL! Knowing you as I do, I'd dread to think what you put them through to make that happen ;-)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by Latex
Hi, my first post...

I reside in a building above a somewhat high end shopping mall in Hk I.e Elements.
I love that mall. I stayed at the W Hong Kong for five different extended trips last year. Train to the airport right downstairs can't be beat.

The ThreeSixty grocery store in Elements has become my favorite place to provision. Love that place. It's like a mini-Whole Foods.

The mall even smells good. Not sure what they spray in there but it's nice.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:44 am

For those who have actually been invited in the US. Do they tend to send out a mailed invitation or is it via telephone?
Old May 5, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
For those who have actually been invited in the US. Do they tend to send out a mailed invitation or is it via telephone?
Good question. Not sure what it is these days.

Still waiting on mine.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:20 am

Sent Overnight Mail

Received invitation via overnight mail. Came in square black box and was one single very small card that on one side says "you are invited to apply" and on the other is a phone number. That's it. No reference to what applying for and only way you know that it is from Amex is a very small embossed logo on outer box.

Did apply and just received card last week.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:29 am

Congrats, Richard. I still recall your comprehensive posts about Centurion that were a deciding factor in my accepting the invitation I received many years ago.

FWIW, I downgraded my UK (IDC) Cent to Platinum once I received my US Cent. The medical travel insurance was the primary reason to keep any UK-issued AmEx since this is not available on a U.S. AmEx. The Platinum still allows multiple supplementary cards as well as Priority Pass for both the main and supplementary cardholders, and the UK-issued Priority Pass is not the 'select' version that excludes some of the clubs.

I get mixed up as to which benefits I now hold as a result of the U.S. Cent or the IDC Platinum, but I think there are a few hotel elite programs with the IDC/UK account (European brands) that are not offered with the U.S. Cent. And a few of the MR partners are different, for example, I can transfer MR points from my IDC Platinum to SK (useful for me) but not from my U.S. Cent.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trvlnmn
Received invitation via overnight mail. Came in square black box and was one single very small card that on one side says "you are invited to apply" and on the other is a phone number. That's it. No reference to what applying for and only way you know that it is from Amex is a very small embossed logo on outer box.

Congrats!

What was your spend when you got the invitation?
Old May 27, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Trvlnmn

we are curious about the invitation box.
Can you show us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.